Everything Viking France: Normandy, Paris, Provence

Peregrina651

Thanks everyone for the quick responses.  I think we are going to go with 11, then we won't have to stress over traffic and missing our train!!  Gnome12, the 11:00 train is from Gare de l'Est through Stuttgart.    Thanks!

Susan

On 7/5/2019 at 2:39 AM, Sacramento2012 said:

I just spent a week in Paris in April, and to respond to your question about taking the time to visit Versailles, my humble opinion would be to skip it, particularly since you've been to Catherine's Palace. I was underwhelmed by Versailles. We stayed in an Air BnB in Montmartre and really like staying there. We were about 3 blocks from Sacre Cour on the other side of the hill, and loved walking around the neighborhood. Lots of restaurants and little shops that the locals shopped at. We took a walking tour that was really interesting, and took us to places in that neighborhood that were a bit off the dense tourist areas. We were a five minute walk from the metro station (Lamark) from which we could get all over Paris. 

We skipped it when we went this past March as we were only in Paris for two full days. We’d been twice before. 

We are on the second leg of France’s Finest, we had the heat of last week and now it is very pleasant in Paris. We flew into Marseille a few days early to get over jet lagged and since we had been in the South of France before we discovered Marseille and took a trip to Cassis. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express directly across from St Charles train station with easy & cheap train direct to Avignon Central. Two additional tours we took which were awesome were Lumieres and Chateau de Fléchères. Thank you to CC friends on these boards as we would not have taken either if not for your recommendation. I highly recommend both to those who are still in the booking stages. The ship we are on now is one of their older ships, Rindal, but next year new ship that will dock in Paris. The Heimdal was very nice from Avignon to Lyon. The train from Lyon to Paris seamless.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Respbj said:

We are on the second leg of France’s Finest, we had the heat of last week and now it is very pleasant in Paris.

Two additional tours we took which were awesome were Lumieres and Chateau de Fléchères. Thank you to CC friends on these boards as we would not have taken either if not for your recommendation. I highly recommend both to those who are still in the booking stages. 

I have been following this thread since the beginning, as we are scheduled for the Paris to the Swiss Alps in the spring. We just decided to join another couple on Lyon & Provence in the fall of 2021, so now I have to go back and read it from the beginning to make sure I haven't missed anything! I do know about the Lumieres and the Chateau de Flecheres, also thanks to this thread. Thanks, all!

• Like 1

JKRSTL...saw on another forum that you have just retruned from southern France on your own.....Any new thoughts for this forum?  We will be doing the post cruise this fall in Nice.

On 7/10/2019 at 4:56 AM, Respbj said:

We are on the second leg of France’s Finest, we had the heat of last week and now it is very pleasant in Paris. We flew into Marseille a few days early to get over jet lagged and since we had been in the South of France before we discovered Marseille and took a trip to Cassis. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express directly across from St Charles train station with easy & cheap train direct to Avignon Central. Two additional tours we took which were awesome were Lumieres and Chateau de Fléchères. Thank you to CC friends on these boards as we would not have taken either if not for your recommendation. I highly recommend both to those who are still in the booking stages. The ship we are on now is one of their older ships, Rindal, but next year new ship that will dock in Paris. The Heimdal was very nice from Avignon to Lyon. The train from Lyon to Paris seamless.

The good old Rindal! We were on the Delling from Avignon to Lyon and then the Rindal last Summer. The Captains of the Heimdahl and Delling were father and son. Some silly pix I took last Summer 😃  

5AFD259B-2A06-4606-B722-17893D8D7039.jpeg

841FB1B0-AA6E-4DA0-9126-4C9654AD3661.jpeg

This is the most amazing thread. Thank you, Peregrina651 for starting it (and providing regular answers) and appreciate everyone's insights. I've read most of it -- it took awhile :) -- and would love to ask a couple of questions. I'm going on a Seine River cruise on Viking Rolf next week. I've done the Seine (and it's magnificent) but it was a very long time ago. One thing I remember was feeling a bit overscheduled with tours last time, so was planning to give myself a free day to just roam around in Rouen. I'm definitely intrigued with the restaurant that Julia Child first ate at one she and her husband arrived in France (La Couronne). Has anyone gone for lunch or dinner? Any other must-sees (beyond the Joan of Arc stuff) in town? It's been really hard to find good advice for independent travel.

Thanks in advance.

Carolyn

• Thanks 1

The city is easy to walk around with great stores and the July sales are still in progress. We saw the restaurant right across from the modern St Joan church but we only went to a small cafe for cake and coffee. The ship docks right in the city. Also in Les Andelys you will have lots of time. The lady with the shop with scarfs has a great selection of French made products. She is in the Petite Andedlys. The new town has a big grocery store with lots of candy if you like to take back small gifts. At Le Pacq where we dock for Paris there is a Monoprix store if you forget anything they will probably have it. 

I agree it’s very walkable.  We did the morning walking tour which gave a good orientation to the city.  Afterwards, we stayed in the city for free time.  its very easy to walk to the bridge and take an elevator to/from the river.

As to La Couronne, I have dined there twice, once long ago and again when on the Viking cruise-wonderful!  I reserved in advance and it was full at dinner.

4 hours ago, editor@cruisecritic said:

Thank you, Peregrina651 for starting it

Thanks, Carolyn, I keep trying to start the next "Viking China" but so far this has been the most successful. Threads like this need two things to keep them going: 1) lots of people asking lots of questions and 2) people who have done the cruise who stick around season after season answering questions. The thanks go not to me but to all of the people who are here sharing information and trying to help one another.

** For the record, Viking China is actually two threads. The first one, started maybe in 2006, was close to 5000 posts in length when it had to be closed (because it was crashing the servers) and a Part 2 started, which now has well over 4000 posts.

4 hours ago, editor@cruisecritic said:

Any other must-sees (beyond the Joan of Arc stuff) in town?

The cathedral is number one on my list and was really the only thing that I saw in Rouen. I went on my own so I could explore at my own pace. I wandered around inside taking picture after picture and then went back outside and looked at the facade some more. The lacy look was fascinating. This is the cathedral that Monet painted so many times at varying time of the day and of the year.

I loved Les Andelys as well. It was a lazy day for us and it was nice to have nothing planned.

5 hours ago, editor@cruisecritic said:

This is the most amazing thread. Thank you, Peregrina651 for starting it (and providing regular answers) and appreciate everyone's insights. I've read most of it -- it took awhile :) -- and would love to ask a couple of questions. I'm going on a Seine River cruise on Viking Rolf next week. I've done the Seine (and it's magnificent) but it was a very long time ago. One thing I remember was feeling a bit overscheduled with tours last time, so was planning to give myself a free day to just roam around in Rouen. I'm definitely intrigued with the restaurant that Julia Child first ate at one she and her husband arrived in France (La Couronne). Has anyone gone for lunch or dinner? Any other must-sees (beyond the Joan of Arc stuff) in town? It's been really hard to find good advice for independent travel.

Thanks in advance.

Carolyn

When I was on the Rolf in 2017, there was a fantastic multi-media show that was projected on the facade of the Rouen Cathedral every night during the summer. Looks like it is back this year.

It is a must see.

https://en.rouentourisme.com/cathedral-of-light/

We ate at La Couronne the night the Rolf was docked in Rouen. If you liked Julia Child, do it just for being able to say that you did. It's also the oldest restaurant in France. I had the Julia Child menu, sole meunière. It was really good. 

IMG_20190501_210622.jpg

IMG_20190501_104741_029.jpg

On 7/4/2019 at 3:49 PM, dolllover said:

When you brought your family to Versailles on the 9am train did you buy entrance tickets ahead of time? My dh insists on spending the day in Versailles. I've been to Paris numerous times and have never been to Sainte Chapelle. It's a must see now. 

Lines can be long, prebuy your tickets.  You can get tickets & tours online @ http://en.chateauversailles.fr/

I used the Paris Museum Pass which offers untimed skip/the-ticket line “passport” admission to multiple areas & we also pre-arranged a tour, then bought tickets at the garden gate for access there & rented a golf cart to visit the back Trianon area.  If in Paris at least 2 days & touring at least two sights/day, the PMP pays for itself and where necessary offers a separate less crowded entrance solely for the security line.

I will look for the "china" thread!

We were in Rouen on a VO cruise and I totally missed that this restaurant was there!!!

Will definitely  find it during our Viking River cruise this fall.

Again thank you everyone for all the great information!!!!  October is closer than we think!!!

About to leave for 3 1/2week DIY sailboat cruise in Michigan and just said to my friend who is also taking their sailboat that Viking trips are sooooooo MUCH simplier!  They were with us on the WC!!!

Hi, Cool Cruiser. I'll be in Michigan, too, in a couple of weeks. Hope you can stop in Traverse City. I lived in T.C. for 35 years. It is a great place.(Now in Venice, Florida.) Another beautiful spot is the Les Cheneaux Islands in the U.P.  Happy sailing.

48 minutes ago, deec said:

I will look for the "china" thread!

I tried to use the search function to find this for you but the new search function is practically useless ; it could not find a thread that was last posted to in April. I finally gave up and just started working my way down page by page till I found it.

Here is the link for those who are curious but I will say that this was a fabulous thread but in 2016 or so, it just suddenly lost its mojo.  In truth, most of the information is now out of date and while interesting to know, some of it just doesn't apply any more. There are some more recent threads that are helpful and more up to date. For the record, Part 2 was begun in September, 2011, has 4469 replies and over half a million views.

Viking China (Part 2)

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 1

Thanks, for looking!

Dottythe CAt...we will be in Canada primarily.  Crossing Lake Huron and then to what is known as the "North Channel" !  We love Traverse City!  usually combine that with Harbor Springs vacation.  Michigan is beautiful in the summer!

21 hours ago, Respbj said:

The city is easy to walk around with great stores and the July sales are still in progress. We saw the restaurant right across from the modern St Joan church but we only went to a small cafe for cake and coffee. The ship docks right in the city. Also in Les Andelys you will have lots of time. The lady with the shop with scarfs has a great selection of French made products. She is in the Petite Andedlys. The new town has a big grocery store with lots of candy if you like to take back small gifts. At Le Pacq where we dock for Paris there is a Monoprix store if you forget anything they will probably have it. 

Thanks, Respbj, and the detail about the Monoprix at the Paris dock is just the kind of thing you only find on Cruise Critic. Great tip! Excellent to know. And I'm planning to pack light so I can do a bit of shopping. Thanks again.

15 hours ago, jwzaiser said:

We ate at La Couronne the night the Rolf was docked in Rouen. If you liked Julia Child, do it just for being able to say that you did. It's also the oldest restaurant in France. I had the Julia Child menu, sole meunière. It was really good. 

IMG_20190501_210622.jpg

IMG_20190501_104741_029.jpg

Yum. Looks delicious. I booked for lunch at 1:30 p.m. on the day we arrive; since tours leave the ship at around 1 p.m. I figure I'm safe on the time?

16 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

When I was on the Rolf in 2017, there was a fantastic multi-media show that was projected on the facade of the Rouen Cathedral every night during the summer. Looks like it is back this year.

It is a must see.

https://en.rouentourisme.com/cathedral-of-light/

I'd heard of it -- definitely will check it out.

21 minutes ago, editor@cruisecritic said:

Yum. Looks delicious. I booked for lunch at 1:30 p.m. on the day we arrive; since tours leave the ship at around 1 p.m. I figure I'm safe on the time?

1:30 is fine.  The walking tour ends in time to return for lunch & afternoon excursions.

Just returned from multi-generational Paris to Normandy cruise we booked 18 months ago.  Daughter's family still in France exploring Loire valley cathedrals on their own.  Viking Kadlin's staff was excellent.  Best chef ever on all our Viking criouse.  Great tour director.  Rouen cathedral at night, etc.  Daughter had never cruised and loved the ship, meals, tours.

Here is our photo site for this cruise...

Paris to Normandy

IMG_6537.jpg

IMG_6722.jpg

IMG_6912.jpg

• Like 3

Phil,

Welcome back! It sounds like you family trip was everything you hoped it would be. I'm glad Viking helped make this a terrific experience for all.

I look forward to viewing the photos.

P.S. Loved the photos, especially the ones from Giverny!

Edited by lackcreativity
  • Like 1

Beyond the Monoprix (which I'm absurdly excited about), is there anything to see in Le Pecq? Is there a good walk?

And one more question (leave tonight for Paris, excited!): On our last day we stop in Mantes de Jolie -- is that just to let shore excursions off as the ship continues back to Le Pecq?

Thanks again for all the great conversation and advice.

Carolyn