NY parking at pier

mag19

When I sailed on the Gem in June and for my upcoming sailing on the Escape in October, I pre-booked parking at Pier 83 through Spot Hero. It's not right AT the cruise pier... I'd say it's about 2 blocks away? But it gave me peace of mind knowing I had it pre-booked, plus it's a little cheaper than parking directly at the pier. Our experience there in June went super smoothly, so I am expecting next month to go the same.

Thanks for the info. Will look into it.

I believe the reason you couldn't find anything is that I have never heard of them running out of spot and when I asked that same question I got the same answers . If the one at that pier fills up they just open the pier next to it. Also keep in mind that there is no surcharge for SUV at the port, where most if not all of the off site lots do surcharge SUVs.

I believe the reason you couldn't find anything is that I have never heard of them running out of spot and when I asked that same question I got the same answers . If the one at that pier fills up they just open the pier next to it. Also keep in mind that there is no surcharge for SUV at the port, where most if not all of the off site lots do surcharge SUVs.

That's a good point. The Pier 83 parking I mentioned does say they may charge an extra $10 per day for over-sized vehicles. I parked my Jeep Cherokee there and was not charged extra, but they may charge for anything larger than that.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but this is the closest I could find to ask my question without starting a new one.

We have sailed out of NYC many times with NCL. This is the first time we are thinking of using the pier parking. Has anyone experienced getting to the parking area to find it full? My main concern is that we are sailing on the Gem on the 26th of Nov. and it is a Monday. We will also have an oversized vehicle (Suburban) and probably won't be able to make it to the pier until at least noon.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

You shouldn't have a problem parking at the pier.

If you're considering an off site garage such as the one that was mentioned at Pier 83 please be aware of the fact that oversize vehicles such as your Suburban, if they can be accommodated at all will be subject to a substantial surcharge over the garage's normal rate, meaning you may actually pay the same or even more than what you will at the cruise terminal. It makes no sense to subject yourself to the inconvenience of parking off site under those circumstances.

I've never heard of anyone getting turned away. One thing that should be mentioned is that the pier parking is only for those taking a cruise and not open to general parking. Well except for special events at the Intrepid, Fleet Week for example. We went on Christmas week cruise back in 2012 and the lot on pier 88 was not full. It really depends on the number of ships that are departing or have departed to determine how full the lots are. And yes there is parking on all 3 piers if needed and the entrance is at 54th street well north of the pier.

I have parked at the pier the last 3 years on Breakway which is a bigger ship. And at times when the Gem was also sailing on other days. Two times the pier did not fill up. A dozen or so spaces still empty. One time it did fill. When we returned, I saw many cars lined up along the ramp leading to the pier - which makes me think they just parked people on the entrance ramps. One time I could see cars had parked on Pier 90, which I guessed was the Gem's last sailing. So I am quite sure they can handle it one way or another.