Danube River Cruise

Shoe King

So its come to that time of year, when im back thinking about a holiday.

Last November I went on my first river cruise and I enjoyed it so much. I went with Avalon on the romantic Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel as it was then end of the month I got to visit the Christmas markets, which were amazing! Even got to see the Black forest under a couple of inches of snow, which was stunning.

This time im turning my sights to the Danube, some questions I have:

Which direction would be the best to travel?

Do you get a more comprehensive view the of the regions if you go on one of the longer cruises available?

If I go for a shorter cruise are there highlights of the river I shouldn't miss?

Which company does everyone suggest would be best to cruise the Danube with? (Have to say I love travelling with Avalon on the Rhine)

What would the chances be of snow on the Danube? (I`ll be travelling the end of November, beginning of December. Due to brother`s wedding at the start of the month and work)

Look forward to hearing what you all have to say. I got great help and advice before my last river cruise. Oh forgot to add im a 39 year old male solo traveller.

Shoe King

One point I would stress is that the route from Nuremburg to Passau is where the low water problems are worst. If you choose a cruise that goes Passau (or Vilshofen) to/from Budapest, you maximize the chances that your cruise will sail as scheduled.

I went with Avalon on the romantic Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel as it was then end of the month I got to visit the Christmas markets, which were amazing!

What would the chances be of snow on the Danube? (I`ll be travelling the end of November, beginning of December. Due to brother`s wedding at the start of the month and work)

Shoe King

If Christmas markets are the main draw, you need to be concerned about being too early. The markets will not open until November 30th, the Friday before Advent. Of course you need to check the locations you are visiting to verify, but you might miss out on the markets.

Kathleen

We did our Danube cruise a number of years ago on Viking in the beginning of November and had a really great time. Went from Nuremberg to Budapest. Having spent a lot of time on this site, I would have to say that there are boosters for all of the cruise lines, and from what I've read here, they all seem to do a good job. Itinerary, price and timing should determine which one you choose, and of course if you have had a positive experience with Avalon then you may want to stick with a "winner".