Car seat necessary for port days?

We are going on our very first cruise in July on The Splendor! We’re so excited to check out the Mexican riviera with our little family. We’re going to be traveling with our 9 month old and 4 year old. We would like to try to participate in an excursion or two that are age appropriate for our girls. I’m wondering however, do we need to bring their car seats to go to and from the excursion? I’ve been reading the cabins are quite tiny so we wouldn’t want to take space with both car seats if we don’t have to. Although we are concerned about their safety!

Plus, any advice and suggestions to travel with a toddler and infant (including best things to do and see) would be much appreciated! TIA! :)

Which ports are you going to? Many of the older taxis don’t have seat belts. Won’t need a car seat for the busses.

FWIW It’s rare to see strollers in Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most taxi's in any island country including Mexico ,you won't find seat belts ,, There are no seat belt laws .. You may see 3-4 people on a motorcycle there also , 4 wheelers are a form of transporation on the roads to

As in most ports, even excursions like zip lines would not make it in America due to the safety requirements we have in the us.

I would put seat belts and car seats in the same category. Not needed or required there, but a must in the U.S.

One excursion that come to mind is 27 Waterfalls @Amber Cove. We loved it, but jumping off a 20' high rock wall into a 8' diameter pond would to go over in the States.

What excursions are you considering with your little ones?? IF you are going on a bus there are never seat belts even here in the USA.

IF you take a taxi somewhere then what will you do with the car seat when you are out of the taxi?? I agree that safety is important but when you bring your infants on a trip you might have to reconsider what you do on land with them.

Congratulations on your first cruise! The rules of the road are very different around the Caribbean, The Bahamas, and Mexico than they are in the U.S. I've been on several excursions where I had to close my eyes while riding in transportation to excursions. Things like whoever honks first has the right of way, and passing on narrow, winding mountainous roads can be nerve wracking and are common! Don't expect to find safety laws for the common good like there are in the U.S. while exploring on excursions. It's basically every man, woman, and child for him/herself. Use your own common sense and be aware of your surroundings. Corruption is rampant in Mexico, and the government has trouble dealing with that much less promoting road safety. Decades of poverty have taken a toll on the country. I don't mean to scare you, but it is a very different world than you're likely used to. That being said, most Mexicans are very warm people and are happy to cater to you and share their culture with you. Also, don't expect perfect air conditioning everywhere you travel on an excursion. I mention that since you stated you're traveling with a 9 month old. Mexico can be very hot in July and air conditioning may not be readily available. For example, many major tourist hotels on the Mexican Riviera do not have air conditioning in their lobbies and common areas, but only in their hotel rooms. I hope you have an enjoyable first cruise!

When people say "not needed" what they mean is that it is not required. Not that it isn't needed.

As you are aware, the American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines state that your 9-month-old should be rear-facing until at least age 2, and your 4-yr-old likely shouldn't even be in a booster yet, let alone not using anything. While it might be legal not to use a car seat in Mexico, it doesn't make it safe to do so.

Personally, I wouldn't want to take the risk (I've seen the videos of the kind of damage that can happen if you are in an accident without proper child restraints), but you might want to invest in some smaller travel seats if space in the cabin is a concern.

When people say "not needed" what they mean is that it is not required. Not that it isn't needed.

As you are aware, the American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines state that your 9-month-old should be rear-facing until at least age 2, and your 4-yr-old likely shouldn't even be in a booster yet, let alone not using anything. While it might be legal not to use a car seat in Mexico, it doesn't make it safe to do so.

Personally, I wouldn't want to take the risk (I've seen the videos of the kind of damage that can happen if you are in an accident without proper child restraints), but you might want to invest in some smaller travel seats if space in the cabin is a concern.

Please don't get me wrong as I do agree with the AAP, but according to the NHTSA an improperly installed safety seat can be as deadly as not using a car seat. And this a dilemma all parents of young children must face when visiting foreign countries.

Even when they do bring their car seats finding vehicles that have the proper latches and hook-ups that match seats conforming to US and Canadian safety standards will be even harder than finding room in a cabin to store the car seats.

In these cases it is better for parents to forego cruise line sponsored excursions and contact private tour companies that advertise the availability of a car seat that fits properly in their vehicles. That or look into reserving car rentals that offer the use of car seat. Then research what attractions and sites they can go to.

We are going on our very first cruise in July on The Splendor! We’re so excited to check out the Mexican riviera with our little family. We’re going to be traveling with our 9 month old and 4 year old. We would like to try to participate in an excursion or two that are age appropriate for our girls. I’m wondering however, do we need to bring their car seats to go to and from the excursion? I’ve been reading the cabins are quite tiny so we wouldn’t want to take space with both car seats if we don’t have to. Although we are concerned about their safety!

Plus, any advice and suggestions to travel with a toddler and infant (including best things to do and see) would be much appreciated! TIA! :)

In one paragraph, you are stating you are concerned about safety and the other part, you are concerned about it being a hassle, no room, and just a pain. Yet you are going to Mexico, where the driving is 10 times worse. Let alone a 9 month. My advice is take the car seats, and if you can't find a seatbelt, than don't go. Or just accept the fact, that you are going on a cruise, with little kids, and skip the excursions altogether.

You are traveling to Mexico with two small children, and are participating in excursions appropriate for "them". I don't know of any excursions geared for infants and toddlers. AND ship sponsored excursions are EXPENSIVE, even though I am sure there would be no charge for them. What would your 9 month old be interested in to warrant a special excursion. IMO, IF you see something geared for yourselves, that would make more sense.

I am a parent as well, as for the cost of a vacation, I would base it around my likes, not what the kiddies want.

Our youngest was 2 1/2 last year when we cruised for the first time with our kids. I didn't bring a car seat. We did an excursion on a bus and I just sat him between my husband and I and put him in the seat belt. We also went to a beach resort and took a taxi and there were no seat belts in the car. I was nervous of course even when he was belted b/c there was no car seat safety for him. I didn't anticipate that he would freak out about not being in a car seat and he did. He of course had never ridden in a vehicle and not been in a car seat so he had a break down. We finally calmed him down but you could see that he was unsettled on both rides b/c he didn't have his car seat. I would suggest taking a stroller you may have a double one but it may be a little big so might want to use 2 umbrella strollers. It's a lot of walking just on the ship for a 4yo. We are cruising again in October and I'm taking a stroller for the 4yo for onboard and when we are in Port as well. Also your baby won't be able to get in the pool's b/c they must be potty trained and can't wear little swimmers in the pool's. So just a heads up about that. Have a great time!

You are traveling to Mexico with two small children, and are participating in excursions appropriate for "them". I don't know of any excursions geared for infants and toddlers. AND ship sponsored excursions are EXPENSIVE, even though I am sure there would be no charge for them. What would your 9 month old be interested in to warrant a special excursion. IMO, IF you see something geared for yourselves, that would make more sense.

I am a parent as well, as for the cost of a vacation, I would base it around my likes, not what the kiddies want.

I guess I should have mentioned excursions that allow my 3 year old (4th birthday on the cruise!) to participate. If it involves any activity, I plan on not joining in on the fun and go along for the ride with the baby. Or vice versa..the hubby could sit back. :)

If you are booking through Carnival, this includes transportation. The reason many of us were referring to cab companies and whatnot is because many of us choose to handle our our excursions independent of the cruise line. (I find I get to do exactly what I want to do rather than the very limited choices the cruise line offers, plus it's much less expensive.)

If you are concerned about carseat safety and are doing excursions through Carnival, contact the Shore Excursions department.

we will be going to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, and Mazatlan.

Having been on this cruise here is my advice:

Cabo--This is a tender port and you can catch a glass bottom boat ride once at the marine for around $20. They'll drop you off at Medano beach and pick you up later. This way you'll get to see some sites, have some beach time, and never set foot in a car. I would recommend that you buy and bring your own coast guard approved life jackets for both your kids--you'll use them for more than just Cabo.

PV--I'd recommend a bus tour. the drivers in this town are just plain crazy. Umbrella strollers would be handy here.

Mazatlan--Another place to use the strollers. Walk the blue line into town. There may be a couple of spots where you'll have to skip the sidewalk, we had to because they were pouring new ones. You can walk to the square, a market, stop for ice cream along the way. When you are tired you can take a golf-cart like taxi back to the port. The drivers here are a lot less crazy then in PV and they don't go nearly as fast.

These are my suggestions, take them for what it's worth.

I know you are going to the MR on the Splendor.

We are going on the Splendor to Hawaii, which has similar car seat rules as CA.

We purchased a 5 point harness booster seat for our tiny 5 year old Gdaughter. It was $59 on Amazon. It's lightweight.

Drivers are wild in the MR. Personally, we take ships tours there. It's just easier.

Patti

Does anyone know if there is a direct person with carnival I could speak to regarding the excursions? I would like to know if we would have to provide our own transportation or if a shuttle/bus is included.

I don't think you are getting the full picture. Drinking and driving is not illegal unless there is bodily injury. Carnival uses third party excursion companies, so calling Carnival is useless. I would not drag a car seat with you on a cruise, most likely it will be useless. I grew up in the 50's, no car seats, no helmets for bicycles, parents smoked in the car and house, miraculously I made it through. If you are not comfortable with your child on your lap, don't go on a bus or car.

Does anyone know if there is a direct person with carnival I could speak to regarding the excursions? I would like to know if we would have to provide our own transportation or if a shuttle/bus is included.

Not sure what "calling the man" will do for you, make an exception and call for special services for you? Isn't one of the ports a tender port. How will you juggle the two kids, two car seats, maybe two strollers, then, when you get to shore, flag a taxi, secure two car seats in it, when you get to your destination, now you have to remove the car seats from the taxi, then lug them around with the two kids and strollers....UGH

:o

Not sure what "calling the man" will do for you, make an exception and call for special services for you? Isn't one of the ports a tender port. How will you juggle the two kids, two car seats, maybe two strollers, then, when you get to shore, flag a taxi, secure two car seats in it, when you get to your destination, now you have to remove the car seats from the taxi, then lug them around with the two kids and strollers....UGH

I know, sounds like a pain, right? The joys of travelling with little ones :o. We have done this a couple times before when travelling with them and getting to and from with a taxi or uber. My husband was dreading this, but I was going to mentally prepare for it now if it had to come down to it. From the advice on here, we might leave the carseats behind. I did not expect "the man" to do anything for me but to simply let me know If there was transportation provided. As my name says it all, I'm a complete newbie!

I know you are going to the MR on the Splendor.

We are going on the Splendor to Hawaii, which has similar car seat rules as CA.

We purchased a 5 point harness booster seat for our tiny 5 year old Gdaughter. It was $59 on Amazon. It's lightweight.

Drivers are wild in the MR. Personally, we take ships tours there. It's just easier.

Patti

Thanks for the advice Patti! I'll look into ship tours!