Panama Canal Round trip, Port or Starboard?

Gregor4500

Thinking about the Panama Canal round trip from Miami. Just a couple of questions for those who have done this.

Is there a preferred side with balcony cabin? And, do you feel you've experienced the Panama Canal even though you've only gone half way?

You will NOT want to stay on your balcony during the transit...you'll want to be roaming about the ship to get a view of EVERYTHING! And yes,, unless you're a major "canal nut", you'll see all you need to see!

During the entrance into Lake Gatun and 3 sets of locks, the upper decks will be PACKED and it's hard to find a place along a railing...no worries, tho..once many of the passengers leave the ship for their all-day excursions, the ship will be much less crowded, and you can have your pick of places for the return trip OUT of the canal in the afternoon. It's lovely being on the ship, with fewer people AND air-conditioning. It's HOT and HUMID as hell in Panama....it's nice to be able to get out of the heat at times!

Thank you "cb at sea", sounds like the thing to do.

A few years ago we did the through passage and it was interesting to move round the ship and stop to look, there were always places to get a view. If you don't like "chair hoggers" round the pool then don't go into a viewing area!!

Thinking about the Panama Canal round trip from Miami. Just a couple of questions for those who have done this.

Is there a preferred side with balcony cabin? And, do you feel you've experienced the Panama Canal even though you've only gone half way?

You really don't want to pin yourself to a balcony for your trip through the Atlantic Locks. Depending on which side of the locks (original locks) you may see the side wall of the locks on the way and the other side wall on the way out missing the vessel traffic in the opposite lane. There is plenty to see, so being out on the open areas of the ship is usually the best way to enjoy it.

You will have experienced the entrance to the Canal and Gatun Locks if you elect to stay on the ship. Honestly, it is not halfway but only 8 miles of a 50 mile Canal, so I really would consider it a sampling of the Canal. If your goal is to experience the Canal, then please consider the transit of Gaillard Cut and the Pacific Locks by Ferry. While Gatun Locks is the biggest of the 3 locks a lot of the visual interest of the Canal lies with Gaillard Cut where mountains were moved to make way for the Canal. The great thing about transiting the Cut and Pacific Locks on a smaller vessel, it gives you a totally different perspective of the Locks than you get from your cruise ship. Many people are also surprised at the sight of Panama City, not what they expected.

You have come a long way to see the Canal... go see as much as you can.

You will NOT want to stay on your balcony during the transit...you'll want to be roaming about the ship to get a view of EVERYTHING! And yes,, unless you're a major "canal nut", you'll see all you need to see!

During the entrance into Lake Gatun and 3 sets of locks, the upper decks will be PACKED and it's hard to find a place along a railing...no worries, tho..once many of the passengers leave the ship for their all-day excursions, the ship will be much less crowded, and you can have your pick of places for the return trip OUT of the canal in the afternoon. It's lovely being on the ship, with fewer people AND air-conditioning. It's HOT and HUMID as hell in Panama....it's nice to be able to get out of the heat at times!

That's all good info. Thank you

You really don't want to pin yourself to a balcony for your trip through the Atlantic Locks. Depending on which side of the locks (original locks) you may see the side wall of the locks on the way and the other side wall on the way out missing the vessel traffic in the opposite lane. There is plenty to see, so being out on the open areas of the ship is usually the best way to enjoy it.

You will have experienced the entrance to the Canal and Gatun Locks if you elect to stay on the ship. Honestly, it is not halfway but only 8 miles of a 50 mile Canal, so I really would consider it a sampling of the Canal. If your goal is to experience the Canal, then please consider the transit of Gaillard Cut and the Pacific Locks by Ferry. While Gatun Locks is the biggest of the 3 locks a lot of the visual interest of the Canal lies with Gaillard Cut where mountains were moved to make way for the Canal. The great thing about transiting the Cut and Pacific Locks on a smaller vessel, it gives you a totally different perspective of the Locks than you get from your cruise ship. Many people are also surprised at the sight of Panama City, not what they expected.

You have come a long way to see the Canal... go see as much as you can.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Thinking about booking the panama canal cruise for next year, wanted to know any helpful hints or tips regarding cruising on NCL Bliss for this voyage.
Yeah, book it now. I booked our March 2019 15 day Canal trip in May of 2017. It's now up $1100 more for our inside cabin. My tip is to put your deposit on it because I've only seen the price go up.

My tip: best viewing is from the thermal spa so buy a pass. Temperature controlled and way less crowded than the decks. As for balcony, either side. I agree that you won't be in it long but as a break, we did return to our balcony and regardless of which side you are on, you will have amazing views.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Yeah, book it now. I booked our March 2019 15 day Canal trip in May of 2017. It's now up $1100 more for our inside cabin. My tip is to put your deposit on it because I've only seen the price go up.

I am waiting for the spring 2020 full transit Panama Canal cruises. I thought they seem late posting them looking at when you were able to book your 2019 cruise.

I will continue to check everyday.