Pick 5 promotion

Jumping in because I guess I didn't realize there are costs associated with each "perk" you choose. So, there's a a service charge for UBP? Are there other service charges added to the other perks as well? Wifi? or Dining?

Yes, the perks that require service..drinks and dining...the drinks basically cost 18 bucks a day per person, the dining is much less, due to the value of the package being much less.

Jumping in because I guess I didn't realize there are costs associated with each "perk" you choose. So, there's a a service charge for UBP? Are there other service charges added to the other perks as well? Wifi? or Dining?

The service charges/gratuities are applied for the drink package and specialty dining package. They are supposed to be the gratuities for those services, because bartenders and waitstaff at the specialty dining venues aren't compensated through the normal daily service charges. Theoretically your DSC covers room stewards, hostesses, waitstaff in the MDRs, buffet workers, and all of the behind-the-scenes food prep and housekeeping folks. The service charges for the UBP and SDP are gratuities/compensation for those who work at bars and specialty restaurants. There is likely to be some debate as to how much of that money actually makes it back to the staff in question.

I don't want to get bogged down in the semantics of it. I see both sides. I'm trying to find out if there is any way to avoid the beverage package in the "Take all 5". If the answer is no then I have to live with it and pay $400 in gratuities for nothing. I'm trying hard to lay off sodas but I do enjoy them.

Price the normal pick 2, and then see what it costs to add the other perks. If it is less than $400, then do it that way. You are making it way more complicated than it has to be. (BTW the shore excursion perk is per cabin, not per person and is pretty much worthless, so you are really only talking about paying for one more perk.)

Yes, that is definitely the main reason I'm asking. I don't want to spend 1/8th of the price of the cruise tipping for something none of us will use. It doesn't seem ridiculous to skip a perk if you don't want it, but NCL gets to choose the rules.

As to why I'm asking, I've learned not to trust what a single agent says through the phone. I've been given all kinds of wrong information by the agents including the one I talked to yesterday. Forums are typically used to ask questions.

completely understand about talking with an agent. I used to be a supervisor at a major call center for a well know and somewhat upscale hotel chain. to this day I shutter when I remember some of the things I heard some agents tell guests.

On the other side of the coin, though I realize the gratuities seem high especially when you are not drinkers at all, I think you can understand why they can not design a plan that fits everyone's needs. It looks like you either stick with the 5 plan or choose another one with less perks.

Two quick questions. Can you upgrade the drink liquor package in the take 5? Or can you pay the difference on a particular drink if it's above $13

Does water come with a suite or do I need a separate package for that too?

Two quick questions. Can you upgrade the drink liquor package in the take 5? Or can you pay the difference on a particular drink if it's above $13

Does water come with a suite or do I need a separate package for that too?

The drink package that is included is the highest one available. It covers drinks up to $15 each, unlimited amount per day. If you order a drink that is over $15 (good luck finding one!) then you only pay the difference. So a $17 drink would cost you $2.

Water is not included in the package. There are various bottled water packages that you can buy ahead of time through MyNCL or once you are on board. I never bother. I bring my re-usable water bottle and just fill it with water on the ship. The ship's water on both of my NCL cruises so far has been excellent. They have a desalinization and filtration plant on board.