Recommendations for excursions in Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan

Birkie2

We've done Whale Watching once, saw a lot of fins and tails at a distance.

In May we took a float plane trip to Misty Fjords National Monument with Island Wings. Superb! Purchased on our own.

In Juneau, we booked an excursion through HAL. It was called, “Discover Alaska’s Whales” and it was fantastic.

You go out on a vessel with a maximum of 20 people and you participate in research. So informative and we saw three whales!

• Like 1

My very first and most memorable excursion was in Skagway! Our first cruise. I got a helicopter excursion on the pier because I wasn't sure about the weather and didn't want to deal with the possibility of deciding to cancel and losing the cost of an expensive ship excursion. The helicopter took 5 people and landed on a glacier where we got out and walked around. They had us don appropriate jackets and boots in the locker room at the airport. They bused us from the pier to the airport and back but some people walked it, maybe a 20 minute walk.

While on the glacier I had the sense that it really is a flowing river of ice. I could hear the creaking of the ice against the rock deep under us, and the constant trickle of water. There was water flowing in places on top of the glacier diving into beautiful deep blue ice holes. The whole experience was quite amazing to me!

The flight was short and we flew up the face of the glacier-covered cliffs on the way to the landing site, so close it felt like we could reach out and touch the glacier. I had a center front seat, next to the pilot, but all seats are good, and you're not in them very long as the landing and walking on the ice is the main attraction... but understand that the ice is wet and slippery, so it may not be a choice for unsteady people or those with mobility challenges.

While I chose the glacier excursion, DH chose the Eagle float and loved it. We have beautiful photos of the many eagles he saw. That excursion began with a ferry ride over to Haines and was a fabulous choice for a rafter and photographer! The rafting was smooth and guests didn't have ot do anything but enjoy being immersed in the Alaskan experience!

m--

Juneau -- great place for a whale excursion-- lots of private vendors at the pier. Also you can take the Blue Bus out to Mendenhall Glacier.

Skagway -- White Pass & Yukon railroad -- great train ride.

Ketchikan -- Saxman Village, Totem Bight and walking Creek Street -- all great.

Ketchikan - If they still have the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour, I highly recommend it. You go out (not into the Bering Sea, though) on the Aleutian Balad, which was featured on the second season of "Deadliest Catch." Very interesting.

Juneau - Whale watching. We used Harv & Marv and had a great experience.

Skagway - The White Pass & Yukon Railroad is not to be missed, IMO.

We did whale watching in Juneau that was a lot of fun and in Ketchikan we did the Bering sea crab tour and it was by far my favorite. It’s on the boat from the deadliest catch. They show you how they catch crabs and fish and see lots of wild life.

Have been four times and always take the excursion that flies over the Juneau ice field to Taku Lodge. Spectacular scenery flying over the glaciers and delicious salmon bake with potential to see bears at the Lodge. This can be done first and still have time for a late afternoon whale watch.

In Ketchikan, a flight trip in to see the bears getting salmon at a stream also provided great scenery on the flight and after a short hike we were able to watch the bears from a sheltered platform.

Ketchikan - If they still have the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour, I highly recommend it. You go out (not into the Bering Sea, though) on the Aleutian Balad, which was featured on the second season of "Deadliest Catch." Very interesting.

One of our all time favorite excursions. The pictures we took of the eagles we had framed. Very interesting and fun.

For Juneau camera buffs, I like the Juneau Photo safari.

For Ketchikan, we enjoyed the Misty Fjords and Wilderness Explorer cruise.

For Skagway, anything with the White Pass Yukon Railroad. If you have the funds, I'd suggest the Legacy Car. It has swivel seats. On our last cruise, we and another couple had been on the legacy car twice now. For an alternative to the train, I'd suggest Burro Creek. This is the first I've seen it, and I'm not sure how long they'll be offering it. We loved the relaxed setting. No hurry up and take three shots then back on the bus. I felt welcomed, and felt like we were their long lost friends.