newbie questions re: cash, beverages, beach towels

catsknit

I'm leaving this weekend on a Caribbean cruise with Carnival. It has been over 30 years since my last cruise and a lot has changed I'm sure.

1)I've booked several excursions on my own rather than thru the cruise line to save money. Some require cash there instead of cc. I'm not keen on carrying a lot of cash on our flight down, etc. Are there ATMs on board and do they carry heavy surcharges? (all shipboard spending will be on card, as Carnival now requires that)

No one seems to use traveler's checks anymore?

2)I won't be getting either the soda or alcohol packages as we won't drink enough of either to make it worth it. I'll mostly drink water from a water bottle, but is there tea and coffee available all the time or just at breakfast? Iced tea?

3) towels - silly question, but should we bring our own beach towels for the shore excursions like Chankanab or are they available there, or from ship or what?

See below in red.

I'm leaving this weekend on a Caribbean cruise with Carnival. It has been over 30 years since my last cruise and a lot has changed I'm sure.

1)I've booked several excursions on my own rather than thru the cruise line to save money. Some require cash there instead of cc. I'm not keen on carrying a lot of cash on our flight down, etc. Are there ATMs on board and do they carry heavy surcharges? (all shipboard spending will be on card, as Carnival now requires that) There is an ATM on board, and the surcharge is fairly expensive. Personally, I would just carry with me any cash that I need (in large bills).

No one seems to use traveler's checks anymore?

2)I won't be getting either the soda or alcohol packages as we won't drink enough of either to make it worth it. I'll mostly drink water from a water bottle, but is there tea and coffee available all the time or just at breakfast? Iced tea? Coffee, iced tea, hot tea, water, lemonade, and hot chocolate are available at no additional cost 24 hours on the Lido (except at breakfast when the iced tea and lemonade are changed out with juices).

3) towels - silly question, but should we bring our own beach towels for the shore excursions like Chankanab or are they available there, or from ship or what? You can use the ship's beach towels. Just make sure you bring them back, or you will be charged for them.

1)I've booked several excursions on my own rather than thru the cruise line to save money. Some require cash there instead of cc. I'm not keen on carrying a lot of cash on our flight down, etc. Are there ATMs on board and do they carry heavy surcharges? (all shipboard spending will be on card, as Carnival now requires that) yes. they run out of money often and there is substantial fee plus whatever your bank charges

No one seems to use traveler's checks anymore? nope

2)I won't be getting either the soda or alcohol packages as we won't drink enough of either to make it worth it. I'll mostly drink water from a water bottle, but is there tea and coffee available all the time or just at breakfast? Iced tea? there will be dispensers in the buffet all day serving something.. juices in the morning, then transitions to usually iced tea, lemonade and a flavored water. plain brewed coffee and hot water is also available all day

3) towels - silly question, but should we bring our own beach towels for the shore excursions like Chankanab or are they available there, or from ship or what? totally your choice. not sure if C does, but Royal swipes your card when you get a beach towel and if it is not returned, you are charged for them.

if you have not prepaid your gratuities, don't forget to budget for that on board as well

Great, thanks for all the info. I'm glad to know I'll have coffee and tea most of the day on board, and that I don't have to lug towels along.

guess I'll have to bring the cash along and just be extra careful. I'm prepaying wherever possible or using cards. Already did the ship gratuities at booking so that's covered at least.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I have never heard of an airline passenger being robbed. Just think. Carry whatever is necessary and add 10% (for who knows what). Next time, ask me to come along and I will protect you on your trip.

Jim

Bring the cash you need...larger bills are easier to carry..the ship can break down denominations for you. There is a safe in your cabin. Bring cash. If you're flying, divided your bounty between you and spouse...and everyone needs to keep wherever the cash is close to them. Not obvious, but do keep an eye on it! Don't put it in the overhead compartment...it should be on you in some fashion. I see NO reason to pay a fee to access my own money.

If you only want a soda once in a while, simply buy a can. You can buy ANYTHING with out a package. Included in your fare is : ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot), lemonade, milk and juice at breakfast.

Towels for pool and beach are provided by EVERY cruise line.....no need to bring them.

Jim, I'm not really worried about getting robbed on the plane, it's in the airport, getting to our hotel, then to the dock, etc. that I worry about losing it or being pickpocketed. Or if it's in checked luggage that gets opened....

sorry, after having multiple packages that were obviously opened and contents stolen at various post offices, I'm not that trusting of package/baggage handlers. So it will have to be on my person I guess.

We are serious cruisers, been on 100++ since 1st cruise in 1984. Last year we did 8 Carnival cruises. You will have two towels (if 2 of you) in your cabin waiting for you. If you don't want to lug them around, you can get them on the pool deck and the serenity deck. You need your sign'n sail card to 'check them out. You sign them back in when you leave the deck.

You can always get coffee & tea- hot & iced in the buffet. In the AM there is orange juice. Lunch & later, all day and evening, there is ice tea, and lemonade and another drink I can't remember. I fill a small thermos every day with ice & water. I take it with me on board and off the ship. Then we always have water no matter where we go.

My uncle and his wife & 3 boys lived in Venezuela. He taught them to NEVER have all money in the same pocket or place, put it in different pockets, in your wallet and other places such as a purse and pocket. And NEVER have your wallet in a back pocket. Too easy for pickpockets. My husband was brought up in New York City and his wallet is always in his front pocket!

We really love Carnival's OceanBreeze! She will have a new home port, Charleston, SC, next May. Can't wait as that is only a 4 hour drive for us!