Twice a day service...

We always request twice per day service.

We always ask and get 2X a day service. We've never had a steward balk at the request.

In the morning they do the cleaning service and bring ice.

In the evening while we're at dinner we ask that they bring fresh towels, replenish the ice, bring the Fun Times, and often leave a towel animal. Before we go to dinner we take just a few minutes to do a general "tidy up" including stowing any dirty clothes and pick up any junk laying around.

We always leave our automatic tips in place and the last night we give a cash tip - the room steward a $20 and if they have an assistant we give the assistant a $10

We have only recently started cruising (first one in 2015), so we never experienced or cared about the change from 2x to 1x a day.. that being said, we always pick morning and clean up after ourselves throughout the day, no big issue...

In February we are bringing our 3 young kids on a 5 day... is it “crappy” to ask for 2x a day service? I dont want to make more work for our steward, but we will likely be in and out of our room more and making it messier due to nap times and what not, and I really want to enjoy our cruise rather than stress over the state of the room.. Is that terrible? Is it that big of a hassle for them to come twice a day?

Truly, i’m stressed just thinking about the whole ordeal, and that kind of makes me sad because I love cruising.. :o

We request 2 X day service and tip extra at the end. If we ever have to have only once a day service, I will discontinue the extra tip.

There are just 2 of us and we keep everything neat & clean. In the evening they only have to replace towels if used, do turn down, & towel animal so it shouldn't take them very long. No vacuuming or dusting needed.

We have only recently started cruising (first one in 2015), so we never experienced or cared about the change from 2x to 1x a day.. that being said, we always pick morning and clean up after ourselves throughout the day, no big issue...

In February we are bringing our 3 young kids on a 5 day... is it “crappy” to ask for 2x a day service? I dont want to make more work for our steward, but we will likely be in and out of our room more and making it messier due to nap times and what not, and I really want to enjoy our cruise rather than stress over the state of the room.. Is that terrible? Is it that big of a hassle for them to come twice a day?

Truly, i’m stressed just thinking about the whole ordeal, and that kind of makes me sad because I love cruising.. :o

I’m sorry, but I don’t see anything wrong with asking for 2X service. That is what I’ve had on all my previous cruises, so I intend to request that. I like clean towels replaced in evening for next morning, and fresh ice in my bucket. There is no need to feel guilty asking for it. I personally don’t think we should have to ask for it. I always received it on my RCCL and NCL cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

2 X for us. We are neat freaks so the cabin is neat and tidy. I tell them not to make towel animals. We like ice twice a day. We also tip extra. After 50 cruises with Carnival there was only one time a steward complained to me that he had to many cabins to take care of.

We have always had 2x service - and have zero issue checking that box on the form. I love how tight they make the bed each morning and I like my fresh towels after my pre-dinner shower.

When we travel with our sons, I warn them that they (particularly the older) can be messy and NOT to worry about any disaster they may see as I will make them tidy it each night before dinner, and to please just make sure they have clean towels. I also tell them that our room will be pretty much spotless so minimal work.

I am not one that is upset about them creating the form - there are many, say nightowls, who do not want morning service. It is nice for your steward know what to expect. It is also a great opportunity to request robes, a hairdryer etc. There is no reason for Carnival to waste resources on having such things in every room, or having to clean them each cruise since they don't know if they were worn.

So please, don't worry about being one of "those" people.

If I had to make my own bed in the morning, I would not feel like I was on a cruise. If I did not have turn down service and a towel animal in the evening, I would not feel like I was on a cruise. It's twice a day for me.

(y) Exactly. I require the level of service we've become accustomed to, which is a big part of why we've made cruising one of our most frequent vacations. I simply don't understand why anyone would imply it's wrong to want that. I treat the crew with courtesy, am polite and tip appropriately. What I don't do is consider how to make their jobs easier by settling for less on my vacation (which, btw, I've earned by doing my job without expecting pity from my valuable customers).

I'll be requesting twice a day as well. We are traveling with 3 children, 1 of which is diaper age. I certainly dont want stinky diapers in the room. I dont mind cleaning up, but definitely want the trash taken out more than once a day.

I know we are in the minority, but I like once a day service. There are only two of us and we prefer the nighttime service. Sometimes we stay on the ship while in port, sitting on our balcony and we are in the room stewards way. Traveling with kids, I could definitely see needing service twice a day. I just like the option.

Once, the steward attempted to offer it only as an either A.M. OR P.M. option, but I sweetly stepped in asked for BOTH. We pick up our cabin and do not leave a mess, but I want service twice a day (and we go through a LOT of ice).

I request twice a day. I also explain that all I want the second time is towels, the bed straightened, and ice. And I inform the steward that I do not need or want towel animals so they wont waste time on those.

I've only ever had one steward who didn't keep the room clean...dust everywhere. I've had some that were very memorable, and I tipped them extra at the end accordingly.

I once dropped and broke an entire bottle of red wine in the center of the room. I had visions of carpet repair on my S&S card. I found Bing in the hallway, he said not to worry to go enjoy dinner. After dinner there was a big wet spot in the carpet, but no stain. I gave him a $50 on the spot. Worth every penny, I know he stayed past his off time for that.

I'll be requesting twice a day as well. We are traveling with 3 children, 1 of which is diaper age. I certainly dont want stinky diapers in the room. I dont mind cleaning up, but definitely want the trash taken out more than once a day.

Our littleist is diapers too, I didnt even think about that!

Yep, looks like 2x for us and I also dont feel nearly as guilty after reading these responses. Thank you everyone!!

While I am generally supportive of extra tips, also remember that you're tipping for 5 people (I'm assuming the 2 adults, plus the 3 kids). Your room steward is being compensated for cleaning your room through those tips.

You know.. I didnt even consider that! Very true.. I suppose we can treat it like we always do for the “above and beyond” service...

You are paying a lot for your cruise and you worked hard for your vacation dollar. Ask for what you need. You used to tip for two and asked for one per day service. Now you will be tipping for five (2.5 times as much as before) both only asking for double the service. If you still feel guilty, tip extra.

(y) Exactly. I require the level of service we've become accustomed to, which is a big part of why we've made cruising one of our most frequent vacations. I simply don't understand why anyone would imply it's wrong to want that. I treat the crew with courtesy, am polite and tip appropriately. What I don't do is consider how to make their jobs easier by settling for less on my vacation (which, btw, I've earned by doing my job without expecting pity from my valuable customers).

excellent post:)

The OP's situation does require more than once a day, especially because dirty diapers are involved. With 3 little kids in one cabin, it would be easier to clean "2 small messes" than one large disaster zone. The steward would probably prefer this too.

I wake up, get breakfast and then go to breakfast/pool/port. We come back to shower and get ready for dinner and the night. My ice is stocked, towels are fresh, bed is made, etc. Anything else is completely unnecessary for me, even if it is "available." I also don't want them coming in when I am in the room. If I really need something, I call and they help me out.

No offense, but I find a lot of these responses to be snobby. If you can really use the extra service, then by all means get it. We all have worked hard for our money. No need to tell us why you deserve it twice. Carnival employees are there to help us with literally anything we need. I don't find myself getting whatever I can just because I feel entitled to it though.

I wake up, get breakfast and then go to breakfast/pool/port. We come back to shower and get ready for dinner and the night. My ice is stocked, towels are fresh, bed is made, etc. Anything else is completely unnecessary for me, even if it is "available." I also don't want them coming in when I am in the room. If I really need something, I call and they help me out.

No offense, but I find a lot of these responses to be snobby. If you can really use the extra service, then by all means get it. We all have worked hard for our money. No need to tell us why you deserve it twice. Carnival employees are there to help us with literally anything we need. I don't find myself getting whatever I can just because I feel entitled to it though.

Not snobby at all. Carnival is the only line that I’ve cruise that even asks this, the rest just do 2X day service. And on my NCL cruises, there are switches in the room that lights up a certain color outside your cabin for your room steward. “White” lets them know you are in room, and not to enter, “Red” means no service needed, and “Green” meant to please service my room.

Boom! That's it period. Turn off comments.

We've only encountered staff entering unexpectedly when we are in the room if we forgot to hang the "Do Not Disturb" sign. I have encountered needing something for the room and it being difficult reaching someone by phone, and if I did making sure that we both understood each other. For us we find requesting the standard 2x service and leaving notes for the steward with any concerns gets our requests met on both our schedule and theirs.

It is nice that those who want less interaction have the option of requesting once a day service. Many prefer twice a day, and it is likely more efficient for stewards to provide twice vs. carrying twice as many towels on their carts or filling special orders (like extra ice) for those who may not want full service but still need more than just once per day.

I don't get whatever I can at the dining room or buffet just because I feel entitled either, but I do get what I want of what is offered without an guilt or considering myself to be "snobby" if I use clean silverware for each course.