Torn on booking over a year in advance

CruzinKittie

Look at Past Guest Rate. It's probably not much more and for the fully refundable deposit, it's worth it. Later on as it gets closer you can always switch to ES if it's available. Not sure how often price drops happen after final payment to Alaska as that's the only benefit to ES. You can still get price drops up until that point with PG. I wouldn't risk the penalty and nonrefundable payment but that's just me. I rarely book ES anymore.

You won't get any more perks just by booking, you need to actually sail.

This. I booked a Panama Canal cruise for February 2020, and it was only $100 more to book past passenger, and I got a cabin upgrade. Cancel for any reason insurance would have added more than the $100.

Roz

I have book many cruises more than a year out. I use the past guest rate if possible but I have also do the ES rate. I have had to change this and they have waived the $50.00 fee for me.

Oh wow you just changed the date and they waived the fee? That's awesome!

I always book a year or more out and use the ES rate. I like having the best selection of rooms and prices (so I can cruise more!). I almost always book when there’s a OBC deal happening.

It used to worry about it but when I realized you can change your date for only a $50 per person fee rather than losing the entire deposit, I stopped worrying so much. It’s not fun to lose $50, but I’ve only had to do that once so the money I saved booking ES and early outweighs the money lost so far.

That being said, I’m young (36) and healthy and have a very flexible schedule so the list of things that could derail my plans is relatively short. This approach won’t work for everyone!

Look at Past Guest Rate. It's probably not much more and for the fully refundable deposit, it's worth it. Later on as it gets closer you can always switch to ES if it's available. Not sure how often price drops happen after final payment to Alaska as that's the only benefit to ES. You can still get price drops up until that point with PG. I wouldn't risk the penalty and nonrefundable payment but that's just me. I rarely book ES anymore.

You won't get any more perks just by booking, you need to actually sail.

I agree. We always book Past Guest because we never know what will happen with our jobs and parents. Alaska cruises tend to book up early due to the demand and short season.

I am taking my mom to Alaska for her 60th birthday August of next year. I was thinking about going ahead and booking a cruise with the Early Saver discount. However, the non refundable deposit sketches me out a bit. I mean, it's a long time away. If something happens to both of us that money is just lost. On the other hand, we already have a cruise to Mexico booked for this November. We are in Red status right now and I am wondering if booking the Alaskan cruise will bump up my points and give us some sort of perks on both trips or if you have to wait until you complete both sailings?

Anywho...advice? I am torn. To book early or not to book early? One thing is this particular sailing takes place on what would have been my mom and dad's 42nd wedding anniversary. Daddy died 4 years ago so this seems kismet. :halo::halo::halo::halo::halo::halo:

I always book a year or more out. Never worried about it. As a matter of fact, besides having a cruise booked for March 2019 booked, I also have had an April 2020 cruise booked for awhile(as soon as they opened for that year) Once my 2020 cruise is paid in full (my 2019 is paid in full), I will book for 2021 as soon as they open, and start paying on it monthly until paid in full.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is the form on the Carnival site? Thanks!

Yep here it is. It says for ES but you can use it up until final payment even if you didn’t book ES. Sometimes they will reject it by saying you don’t have ES and then you need to call to explain it’s not past final payment and you do in fact get the cheaper rate. Then they fix it. It can be a pain so I just call my PVP and have him do it. Be careful when selecting the buttons at the bottom and make sure you’re not selecting a guarantee cabin. Very easy to overlook when you’re not paying attention.

https://www.carnival.com/core/requestforms/priceprotection.aspx

Yep here it is. It says for ES but you can use it up until final payment even if you didn’t book ES. Sometimes they will reject it by saying you don’t have ES and then you need to call to explain it’s not past final payment and you do in fact get the cheaper rate. Then they fix it. It can be a pain so I just call my PVP and have him do it. Be careful when selecting the buttons at the bottom and make sure you’re not selecting a guarantee cabin. Very easy to overlook when you’re not paying attention.

https://www.carnival.com/core/requestforms/priceprotection.aspx

Awesome, thanks!

I typically book a year out with ES rates and never had a problem. You can always get travel insurance through insuremytrip.com and get one that includes cancel for any reason.

When you have CCL's insurance and cancel whatever the reason may be you are refunded all the $$ you paid Except the cost of the insurance. That's been fine for us since we had to cancel a week before the trip but if you're canceling early on compare the cost of the insurance versus the cost of the deposit you'd lose.

Wait for cheap deposit. They have them on specials at time for 50 dollars. I did one over a year and advance and if do not go will cost 100 for two of us

That's great advice I think I will do that!!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Forums mobile app

Cheap deposits are for Early Saver fares.

Losing $100 is a big deal for many people.

Cheap deposits are for Early Saver fares.

Losing $100 is a big deal for many people.

I have been poor and I have been very comfortably financially. Losing $100 is a big deal to me in any event!!

In the end I did decide to go with past guest booking as I can get my $800 back before May. I do think it's sort of a raw deal that they get to keep double the money (probably put it into an interest-bearing account) and offer me no real perks. But if I have the option to recall that money at any time I guess I can understand why they do it.