Horizon 7/3 review, a year in the making...

jimbo5544

Great review again. I went back and read your Vista review from the Eastern Carribean cruise. Very informative and helpful. Again, we'll be doing a regular balcony this cruise as my daughter is 11 but next time on the Panorama will be staying in a Havana room as she'll be 12 by then. Looking forward to both cruises and comparing. May read your other Vista review too but still have a lot to do before we head out soon.

Thank you for the Amber Cove pictures. We will be there Christmas week. I was really glad to see the pricelist, so I could see my options there!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Your welcome, hope they helped you get ready for your cruise. Enjoy and let us know your thoughts when you return.

Great review again. I went back and read your Vista review from the Eastern Carribean cruise. Very informative and helpful. Again, we'll be doing a regular balcony this cruise as my daughter is 11 but next time on the Panorama will be staying in a Havana room as she'll be 12 by then. Looking forward to both cruises and comparing. May read your other Vista review too but still have a lot to do before we head out soon.

Thanks for the kind words

So we had reservations at the steakhouse that evening, there were three tables worth, our table of 5, and two tables of 4. Not all reservation times were the same, and the times given were about 45 minute span. We were seated on time and after giving our water order and given menu's I noticed a couple of new things since our last steakhouse visit. The first was some changes to the menu, specifically in the app area. The second was they no longer brought over the rolling cart with all the main choices on it to assist in the choice of what to get. The third thing was that we saw two separate challenges at desk before being seated of men in shorts (this was not cruise elegant night) and both went back and changed.

They still brought over the chef selection in advance of our apps. One in our party wanted to order the wine and selected a VERY nice red wine that the decanted before the apps were delivered. The meal was great as usual and we chose for desert Art at the table which is quite a show but not what I would have chosen. It was great!

Lastly, and I mentioned this earlier, on the Horizon, the Piano Bar is located on the far side from the entrance (actually forward in this case. During dinner, they have a wall that opens and they have someone playing for the dinner guests. This is a throwback to the supper clubs on the Spirit class which are in the funnel dome (see thru portion) two levels and they had entertainment (sometimes piano). This is a great touch and was welcomed by all of our attendees.

Jimbo...would like your opinion as to which meal was a better value. The 30 pp at Teppenyaki or the 35 pp at the Steakhouse. We have enjoyed our Steakhouse visits in the past, but were a bit disappointed when we last went 5 years ago on the Breeze. Was looking forward to the new Teppenyaki venue, but did not appreciate the price increase with the filet and the lobster from 20 when the initial menus came out online to 30 which is reality. I realize it's only 20 bucks, but it is in reality a 50% increase from 40 to 60 for dinner for two. Plus the price differential for what you get at the steakhouse on board for 70 versus a comparable establishment on land would be a better value since the 60 at Teppenyaki is about the same as our local establishment.

Loving your review!

What was your overall impression of the steakhouse? What did the younger folks think? We have reservations on our December cruise.

My kids are in their 30’s. They are all platinum and been to the steakhouse many times. They all enjoyed the meal and the experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jimbo...would like your opinion as to which meal was a better value. The 30 pp at Teppenyaki or the 35 pp at the Steakhouse. We have enjoyed our Steakhouse visits in the past, but were a bit disappointed when we last went 5 years ago on the Breeze. Was looking forward to the new Teppenyaki venue, but did not appreciate the price increase with the filet and the lobster from 20 when the initial menus came out online to 30 which is reality. I realize it's only 20 bucks, but it is in reality a 50% increase from 40 to 60 for dinner for two. Plus the price differential for what you get at the steakhouse on board for 70 versus a comparable establishment on land would be a better value since the 60 at Teppenyaki is about the same as our local establishment.

We enjoyed teppanyaki, both for the meal and the experience. I, like you, was surprised at the increase and frankly think it is over priced. I believe that the reason is the limited number of seats during a sitting. For us the cost was close to what the steakhouse is and I think it is overpriced. That said, if whomever we were cruising with wanted to dine there, we would.

My kids are in their 30’s. They are all platinum and been to the steakhouse many times. They all enjoyed the meal and the experience.

So you did not take the grandkids? This will be our Christmas dinner. Is it really a 2+ hour commitment? Will my teens feel they are missing out on something not being able to hang with their new friends?

Is it really a 2+ hour commitment?
If you want to eat, go to the buffet. If you want to eat better, go to the MDR. If you want to dine, go to the Steakhouse. There is a difference and yes, it is a minimum of 2 hours and if you're a large party, expect 2 1/2.

Will my teens feel they are missing out on something not being able to hang with their new friends?

Obviously only you know your teens, but I am certain my two teen sons would love the steakhouse. We haven’t eaten there with them but the both have always enjoyed the MDR and especially the elegant nights. Even there dinner lasts 1.5 hours or more. As far as missing time with friends we chose early dining as no teen activities are scheduled during that time. As long as they leave by 8 they don’t miss anything.

So you did not take the grandkids? This will be our Christmas dinner. Is it really a 2+ hour commitment? Will my teens feel they are missing out on something not being able to hang with their new friends?

My teens have been on a lot of cruises, since they where 6 and 4. My DD aka the social butterfly would tell you the club is empty during dinner time because most teens eat with their parents and then go to the club starting at around 8 until curfew. She would be more disappointed missing out on a steakhouse dinner than anything.

During sea days the only meal we "make" the kids eat with us is dinner. Most parents seem to have the same rule. Its a good time to check in on them and see what they are up to. As kids they would go to the shows with us too but now the social butterfly flits away after dinner. ahhh to be a teen again.

I have seen the time range from 1 1/2 hours to 2+. That night none of the kids came. We have taken them on other occasions. They have a children’s menu or they can order from the regular menu at regular costs.

So this had actually started the day before when the Captain came on over the intercom with the 12 noon update. He talked about a tropical depression that was on the verge of becoming a hurricane and working across the Caribbean above us. :eek::eek: As it turned out it kind of fell apart and it was really ahead of us. The next day we heard about another tropical depression the was stationary off the North Carolina coast (directly in our path to get back to New York.

OK, so I do zone out of network TV (much easier to do with the new TV coverage), but how had I missed two??

This was not the first time we had run across some weather and not even the first time to have two separate systems, but it really is unusual. To make a fairly long non dramatic story short, we missed the first and skirted the 2nd, good job Captain!