Cruising out of Galveston in January

vaschroeder

We are considering a Western Caribbean RCCL cruise out of Galveston on Dec. 30. We have never cruised at this time of year and never gone out of Galveston. I'm a little concerned that it will not be warm enough. We will have 3 young children and want it to be warm enough for them to enjoy the pools and slides every day. I checked the weather in Cozumel and it shows 81/82 for January. Has anyone ever cruised in January and was it warm enough to swim everyday? What about on sea days when you're cruising and a little breezy?

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I suggest that you do some more research. Check out the temps for each port you will be in. Realize that those are 'average' temperatures, so you need to factor in lots of hot days and lots of cool days.

I live in Florida and last year, for the first time in many, many years, we had a hard freeze twice in one week. Some many tropical plants in yards died overnight. There is no guarantee.

Jim

If it is a normal January, you should be comfortable outside by the time you get up. But, like Jim said, it can be warm, chilly, or somewhere between. We have cruise several times in January/February and it is usually a good time to go. Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We cruised from Galveston in early December once. Of course weather varies and it could be warmer or cooler, but for us the first and last days were quite cool--40's and windy. After that, when in the Gulf and on the islands it was nice and warm--80-90. and beaches and pools were fin.

We probably won't cruise from there again; for one thing it's not really that convenient--we happened to be in South Texas visiting family anyway is the reason we did it--and even then it was a 4.5 hour drive. Also, we have been to those ports many times, so have no real reason to chance the Galveston weather again.

The first and last day will probably not be warm enough to use the pool. After 70 years of Texas winters, I can tell you that at the end of Dec/early Jan it could be 80 or in could be 20 in Galveston. You just never know! ;p;):cool:

I was born and raised in Texas and no truer words have been spoken. It could be freezing or in the 80’s or both in one day. Texas should be called the bipolar state. ;p

My experience with winter cruising is a bit limited, but generally, the destinations that cruise ships go to are pretty warm even when nowhere else is. They're in the tropics. It's why people go to Cozumel and stuff in the winter.

Galveston itself is more of a question mark. I've lived in the area virtually my whole life, and it's an unknown. I played in sprinklers over Christmas break once as a child. I've also seen burst/frozen pipes, and last year, it snowed a bit, which hardly ever happens around here. It's unlikely to be 100 degrees or anything (!), but it could be warm enough to enjoy the ship as you leave and return to port. Alternatively, it could be on the colder side. Still, it's usually not below (or even all that near) freezing during the daytime in the winter here--it happens, but it's not the norm like it is elsewhere. There's a semi-decent chance it could be gray, though. Winter's so often gray here (ugh).