please help with Marseille..

...simply looking for where the free port bus (or free RCI) drops off so i can catch the petite train to Notre-Dame de la Garde

the port maps show no "green" dots for drop off or perhaps i am coloured blind.

i dont want to end up at the wrong end of the port and have to pay my mortgage in taxi fares to get me to the right place.

Thanks all, i have sorted Barcelona, Rome and Palma but i dont know my i am finding this one so hard

...simply looking for where the free port bus (or free RCI) drops off so i can catch the petite train to Notre-Dame de la Garde

the port maps show no "green" dots for drop off or perhaps i am coloured blind.

i dont want to end up at the wrong end of the port and have to pay my mortgage in taxi fares to get me to the right place.

Thanks all, i have sorted Barcelona, Rome and Palma but i dont know my i am finding this one so hard

The free port bus is about 500 metres from the bus and I understand it's destination is the nice shopping centre about 10 minutes from the city centre.

The RC shuttle drops you off at the port in Marseille.

The taxis are very reasonably priced ie 16€ to the centre and there are plenty at the terminal.

The taxi is the best bet and would take you to the train station.

The free port bus is about 500 metres from the bus and I understand it's destination is the nice shopping centre about 10 minutes from the city centre.

The RC shuttle drops you off at the port in Marseille.

The taxis are very reasonably priced ie 16€ to the centre and there are plenty at the terminal.

The taxi is the best bet and would take you to the train station.

Many thanks.

I'm trying to work out some of your detail.

I'm on the ship and trying to get off. What do you mean by free bus being 500 meters from the bus?

I'm off the ship first then trying to get the free shuttle to the exit . I then would like to think I've got off walking distance from the place I take the land train.

Any ideas where i get on the free shuttle and off again. Is there only 1 exit ? If so that might be easier.

We too found that taxis were plentiful at the port, well-organised and not expensive. I think we paid 20 euros for the journey from the port into the centre.

The taxi will take you to the taxi rank right beside the place where you catch the petit train to take you up to the basilica, so just tell the driver Vieux Port, Petit Train and you'll be fine.

In case you're interested and happen to be in port on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday, there's a free walking tour which leaves from the Vieux Port too. My daughter did this recently and said it was very good. Here's the link to the website: https://marseillefreewalkingtour.com/marseille-free-tour/

And there is a soap museum/factory on the opposite side of Vieux Port from the petit train where you can not only learn about how the famous Marseille soap is made but also make some of your own that you get to take home with you. Entry is just 2 euros or 5 euros if you want to take part in the soap-making activity. My daughter did this too and said it was fun.

Website here (unfortunately mostly in French): http://www.savon-de-marseille-licorne.com/fr/musee

Hope this helps.

Have a great cruise.

Sorry about the wrong advice I gave you for Rome. Obviously things have changed again there since March.

This will probably be moved to the Europe section too but here goes.

I have taken the free shuttle in Marseilles a few times. As you exit the ship there will be a tourist stand with free maps. (Only one exit) As you exit follow the WALK signs along the footpath and they will take you to the free port bus.

This drops off at Place Joilette and there is a metro station across the square. If you were wanting to go to Aix you can take the metro to the train station , 2 stops, and take a bus from there to Aix. Bus runs every 15-20 mins it seems.

To pick up the petit train to the Cathedral Notre Dame De La Garde you will need to walk about 15 mins through town to the Vieux port where you can pick it up.

The Royal shuttle will drop you off at the old port so easier but think they charge 15 euros return.

Many thanks.

I'm trying to work out some of your detail.

I'm on the ship and trying to get off. What do you mean by free bus being 500 meters from the bus?

I'm off the ship first then trying to get the free shuttle to the exit . I then would like to think I've got off walking distance from the place I take the land train.

Any ideas where i get on the free shuttle and off again. Is there only 1 exit ? If so that might be easier.

Sorry the free bus is about 500 from the terminal.

We only saw the stop as we passed in a taxi.

The ship docked miles from anywhere so a taxi is the best transport especially to the train station.

Just visited Marseille on Indy. The ship provide a shuttle €18 return but don’t tell you about the free port shuttle bus about 5-10 minute walk from terminal, follow green lines.

As we are family of 4 we got a taxi from outside terminal to port area where land train goes from for around €20 each way.

Land train up to Notre-Dame was excellent, €8 each.

For the free shuttle just follow the green line on the street outside of the terminal building. They recently built a new bus stop which is now much easier to find.

The free port shuttle is running inside the port area and ends close to Place de la Joliette (where the public bus also ends). From there it´s about 10 min walking to the Vieux Port where you can find the Petit Train. There´s also a public bus going up to Notre Dame de la Garde. I think the bus stop is on the opposite side (the side the Notre Dame is located) of the Vieux Port.

For the free shuttle make sure you have a good amount of time left on your way back to the ship.

steamboats

For the free shuttle just follow the green line on the street outside of the terminal building. They recently built a new bus stop which is now much easier to find.

The free port shuttle is running inside the port area and ends close to Place de la Joliette (where the public bus also ends). From there it´s about 10 min walking to the Vieux Port where you can find the Petit Train. There´s also a public bus going up to Notre Dame de la Garde. I think the bus stop is on the opposite side (the side the Notre Dame is located) of the Vieux Port.

For the free shuttle make sure you have a good amount of time left on your way back to the ship.

steamboats

Perfect many thanks.

we are a family that are very used getting around cities and using public transport. This is our first cruise and what i am finding very difficult (strangely) is how to get from the ships to the exit of the port and in some cases where the hell the exit of the port is (some have multiple exits).

this is perfect info and i now know exactly how to get to the land train.

thanks.

Perfect many thanks.

we are a family that are very used getting around cities and using public transport. This is our first cruise and what i am finding very difficult (strangely) is how to get from the ships to the exit of the port and in some cases where the hell the exit of the port is (some have multiple exits).

this is perfect info and i now know exactly how to get to the land train.

thanks.

Some of the European ports are industrial ports and not safe to walk around so the shuttle busses either take you to a drop off point past the port gates or direct to the nearest town.

This is our first cruise and what i am finding very difficult (strangely) is how to get from the ships to the exit of the port and in some cases where the hell the exit of the port is (some have multiple exits).

You´re welcome! Marseille has several exits. It´s a 20 min walk to Porte 4 (which is the closest exit). There´s also the bus stop for the public bus which is running on the regular streets outside the port area (ticket available from the driver, app. 2 Euro).

In Marseille port you are allowed to walk. The path is clearly marked with a green line.

Palma: You can walk (app. 850 m) to the port exit. There you will find the terminus station of bus No. 1 (going to the airport). Tickets are available from the driver (should be something from 1.50 to 2 Euro, the fare to the airport is 3.50 Euro). The port offers a shuttle for 10 Euro (stops close to the cathedral). The public bus goes downtown but has a stop close to the cathdral too.

In Barcelona the port offers a shuttle bus for 3 Euro (single ride, 4 Euro back/forth). This shuttle gets you close to the Columbus column.

In La Spezia you have to use the free port shuttle to the terminal building. No walking allowed.

In Civitavecchia it depends where you are docking. At 25 you have to use the free port shuttle to the town (no walking allowed). There you can use the 2 Euro shuttle to the train station. Otherwise it´s a 20 min walk. In May we docked at 13 with the Symphony. There you are allowed to walk. It´s app. 20 min to the train station. The free port shuttle gets you to the same place as the other one (Largo della Pace) meaning you need to take the 2 Euro shuttle or walk 20 min.

In Naples you dock directly downtown. No shuttle needed.

steamboats