Question about tendering and excursion timing

Hi, I asked this on the Grand Cayman board but never got an answer, so I'm hoping someone here can help. We will be on the Adventure of the Seas in December, which is scheduled to be in Grand Cayman from 7 am to 3 pm (my first cruise ever). Some members of our group want to tour the rum distillery. They could book a tour directly with the distillery, or sign up for an excursion that includes a distillery tour. There is no excursion from Royal Caribbean that visits it, but I found one from Amvivo that starts at 9 am. Would they be able to make that? A cruise compass from Freedom of the Seas on the same itinerary last year mentions "early bird tenders" from 7:15-8:30am, can we count on being able to take one of those? And does anyone have an opinion on going to the distillery on your own vs. taking an excursion?

I'm surprised you would need to book a tour for any distillery except maybe in San Juan. Most of the "bookings" I see online are things like "Beach and Distillery" tours offered by the tour booking companies. GC is a pretty easy place to get around. There will be a bunch of local folks offering tours on the tender dock if you really want to take a tour and not get there on your own.

Check the bus schedule, too...cheaper than a cab. Google "Grand Cayman Bus". At any rate, you should have AMPLE time to get on a tender to get you there by 9am.

The tender ride is only about 5 mins after the tender fills and takes off.

But keep in mind that people who have booked early excursions through the cruise lines get priority boarding on the tenders, so if there are a lot of those, you might be waiting around for awhile until you can get on one.

Thanks, I think I'll just point them in the right direction and not book an actual excursion. I'm still hoping that even folks with early excursions won't be trying to catch a tender before 8 am.

Thanks, I think I'll just point them in the right direction and not book an actual excursion. I'm still hoping that even folks with early excursions won't be trying to catch a tender before 8 am.

The ship’s excursions get first priority on the tenders. At most tender stops, you will be required to get a boarding ticket with a number. The boarding ticket numbers are called in order. If you are in a suite, you will get “priority” tender tickets from your concierge which allow you to use the tenders at any time. The busiest times for the tenders are the first 90 minutes to 2 hours. Trips to Grand Cayman should go quickly because of the short tender time. Don’t assume that they won’t be busy first thing - I’m guessing that the first couple of tenders will be filled with folks going on ship excursions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been there a few times, and I seem to recall that at least once we were unable to anchor in the usual tender area due to rough seas. We anchored in a calmer area quite a ways away from the town, and had to take shuttles into town. About a 20-30 minute ride. I don't remember if the taxis had come over as well. But - something to take into consideration.