St Thomas-Nice beach day close to ship?

I was going to recommend Emerald Beach. It is walkable or a $3 cab ride each way. Nice beach. it is not the best beach in the Caribbean, but is quite good for how close it is to the port. We have enjoyed it in the past and will go back in the future.

Coki and Sapphire are on the far side of the island and take a $10 per person and 30 minute cab ride each way as well.

I had not hear of Honeymoon Beach on Water Island, but it looks awesome and has shot to the top of our list of places to go when we return to St. Thomas next time. Thanks CC members for sharing.

I've been to St. Thomas several times and usually take the ferry to Water Island. About a 1/2-2/3 mile walk from the ship. The better bar of the two will take you from the pier to the beach area. Just tip the driver each way. I find it even better now than it was before the hurricanes. They charge nothing for their chairs and no "charge" for the shuttle. Support them from buying at the bar.

Last trip to St. T, I wanted to try Emerald. I primarily go to beaches relatively near port and this seemed perfect. Cheap taxi ride. Personally, I didn't like it - at all. Many of the Caribbean beaches have a pebbly or rocky entrance; at Emerald it seemed like a slightly underwater limestone wall. It was a pain getting in and out. It was the least clear of any Caribbean beach I have been to. And when I was treading water with my face near the surface, it smelled of jet fuel. I know many people have had good experiences there. I'll be back to Water Island in December.

I believe the OP spoke of a large group. The ferry is not like the one in St.Maarten. Much smaller.

Great info & beautiful pictures-thank you!

Your blog is awesome. Next year is our 40th anniversary and we may go there! You should really update your blog. Love your writing style. How’s that little granddaughter today?[emoji5]

Hambergers at the hotel beach bar are fabulous and its just 5 minute taxi ride. They charge for a beach lounger though. Someone comes around and asks for the $7.

242e7q1.jpg

And I do not think its possible to get to Coki that quick, not with the traffice (I.E. horrible) if you do rent a car be sure to start back with at least an hour before All Aboard because the traffic is fever pitch at that time. I can tell you from experience...its not a fun drive!

Honeymoon Beach on Water Island is a great place for the whole family. You take a small ferry over and walk up a slight hill and then down to get to the beach. I love it so much we have gone there on every cruise with St Thomas on the itinerary. Not sure where your ship docks but if it is at the Crown Marina, you are a short 5 minute walk to the ferry and a quick 10 minute ride to Water Island. We bring our own blow up rafts and have a great time! Highly recommend. Here is my blog post with lots of pictures:

http://www.joyfuljourneyist.com/blog/10-to-paradise

I've been to St. Thomas several times and usually take the ferry to Water Island. About a 1/2-2/3 mile walk from the ship. The better bar of the two will take you from the pier to the beach area. Just tip the driver each way. I find it even better now than it was before the hurricanes. They charge nothing for their chairs and no "charge" for the shuttle. Support them from buying at the bar.

Last trip to St. T, I wanted to try Emerald. I primarily go to beaches relatively near port and this seemed perfect. Cheap taxi ride. Personally, I didn't like it - at all. Many of the Caribbean beaches have a pebbly or rocky entrance; at Emerald it seemed like a slightly underwater limestone wall. It was a pain getting in and out. It was the least clear of any Caribbean beach I have been to. And when I was treading water with my face near the surface, it smelled of jet fuel. I know many people have had good experiences there. I'll be back to Water Island in December.

I believe the OP spoke of a large group. The ferry is not like the one in St.Maarten. Much smaller.

If docked at Havensight, is the ferry to Water Island still accessible? Thanks!

Honeymoon Beach on Water Island is a great place for the whole family. You take a small ferry over and walk up a slight hill and then down to get to the beach. I love it so much we have gone there on every cruise with St Thomas on the itinerary. Not sure where your ship docks but if it is at the Crown Marina, you are a short 5 minute walk to the ferry and a quick 10 minute ride to Water Island. We bring our own blow up rafts and have a great time! Highly recommend. Here is my blog post with lots of pictures:

http://www.joyfuljourneyist.com/blog/10-to-paradise

Great pictures and blog! :D I had already made plans to go to Water Island for the first time for our upcoming December cruise. Have never been there, but now that RCI is docked at Crown Bay versus Havensight....this gives us an easy self excursion to enjoy on our own. We do the same thing in Bonaire with the water taxis. Great to "think outside the box". :D

You don't go through town to get to Emerald

Correct, its just over the hill and by the water towers and voila. We hardly met a car going or coming! And you can stay later. But when we rented the car for Lindquist Beach which is next door to Sapphire and then Coki north of them...there was rush hour traffic and it did take an hour to get back...we were sweatin it! Lindberg Bay where the Emerald is, not to be confused with Lindquist Beach on the other side of the island is the closest and most convenient...and even offers landings and take offs to watch as it is right next to the airport. Lindquist is gorgeous, but not much there but picnic tables...portipotties so not real good with kids...Coki for kids is the best one.