My 2 cents on cruise attire

My husband grumbled about this on our first cruise and got a sport jacket, ended up being just fine. I didn't wear an evening gown but was dressed nicely. If we weren't dressed up we would have felt like bums. I think it's kind of a nice thing, but the extent that some go with tuxedos/evening gowns is really a thing of the past.

For those who complain about it not being enforced, I can only imagine some of the rudeness and vitriol the crew has experienced from pax who were told they can't wear X into the dining room. They probably think "I don't get paid enough for this @(^$", and I don't blame them. I follow rules, but the people who decide that they are always right because "they paid for the cruise" are very likely quite insufferable to the crew. :((n):( (n)

everyone that wants a dress code forgets to add "I dress code I approve of." This is a buisness and more people mean more profit, so they try to strike a balance between the two. Also if someone is wearing shorts does it somehow diminish the fact someone else is in a suit or tux? They will silently judge you just like you are judging them.

On the other hand, I think the excuses those who want to insist on formal wear are BS

4. Those who don't dress formal, ruin the evening's atmosphere - Actually, much worse than seeing someone dressed casually, is men in tacky polyester rented tuxes with plastic shoes, men squeezed into tuxes they have had for years which are 3 sizes too small with gut jutting and hanging over their waist band, women who think polyester black pant/skirt with a tacky bedazzled "top" is formal.

Someone in shorts or jeans that are 3 sizes too small also don't look good on any night. Wearing clothes that fit and that are appropriate for our individual shapes and sizes look better on any night.

everyone that wants a dress code forgets to add "I dress code I approve of." This is a buisness and more people mean more profit, so they try to strike a balance between the two. Also if someone is wearing shorts does it somehow diminish the fact someone else is in a suit or tux? They will silently judge you just like you are judging them.

Not sure what you mean by "I dress code I approve of".:confused:

Not sure what you mean by "I dress code I approve of".:confused:

I think they meant "A dress code I approve of". I think they were trying to say that people who support a dress code, mean they support the one they want.

I don't care what the dress code is, but I think the cruise lines should rewrite their policies to what they will enforce and then enforce them. I do think it's confusing to have a written policy and then simply ignore it. On one cruise, dinner was listed as "Smart Casual". I called down and asked if I could wear jeans and a blazer. The woman on the phone said "No men can not wear jeans tonight". So I didn't. Then I asked the head waiter, "What's the deal with dress code." He said "Oh you can come how ever you want." This made no sense. They are making this more confusing not less. Write the policy, enforce it, were done. For the record I did not have a problem wearing dress pants, it was simply confusing.

I always find these dress threads hilarious. Most of the time, when you go up the food chain, cruise wise. The more upscale you go, the less dressy the cruise gets.

However, the more mainstream the line, the more likely you will see others “dressing to impress”. If you see me in a suit, well most likely I’m attending a wedding or a funeral...

I believe in the socioeconomic aspect plays a huge roll in this debate. People trying to impress others, usually have something to prove. An article in Psychology today a while back was about how the need, or just the illusion of superiority often will manifest in the need to prove a false reality. I.e. people buying homes, cars, jewelry that they really cant afford, just to feel better about themselves. This happens more often than most of us would think. So, 10, 15 years ago when formal night was a elaborate event. Back then, you were in the minority if you were not dressed up. Today, its the polar opposite. The lines love to still advertise “formal night” or cruise elegant or whatever the current term may fit. Bottom line its just to get photographs sales up.

I personally avoid any dining establishment that would require a jacket or tie. It is my belief it is pretentious and does not define me. A rebel, no. Just a simple guy who loves my shorts, jeans, sneakers and concert “T’s”.

Do you know if i ate my meal in a tux or my shorts with a nice shirt. About 5 hours later it will essentially look something like this [emoji90] no matter what i wear while I consume the meal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Or they can do it because it's "their vacation" forgetting it's everyone's vacation.

It hasn't always been a suggestion. It's evolved to that to accomodate those that whined about it the most and those that just flat out ignored it.

Wow. Judgey!!!! Lowest common denominator??? Ha! We’re executives who cruise and PREFER to be casual versus the dress attire of work. Go full on bling if that’s your thing - I won’t judge you. Just don’t assume you know those of us who choose not too. And don’t assume your somehow better either...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always find these dress threads hilarious. Most of the time, when you go up the food chain, cruise wise. The more upscale you go, the less dressy the cruise gets.

However, the more mainstream the line, the more likely you will see others “dressing to impress”. If you see me in a suit, well most likely I’m attending a wedding or a funeral...

I believe in the socioeconomic aspect plays a huge roll in this debate. People trying to impress others, usually have something to prove. An article in Psychology today a while back was about how the need, or just the illusion of superiority often will manifest in the need to prove a false reality. I.e. people buying homes, cars, jewelry that they really cant afford, just to feel better about themselves. This happens more often than most of us would think. So, 10, 15 years ago when formal night was a elaborate event. Back then, you were in the minority if you were not dressed up. Today, its the polar opposite. The lines love to still advertise “formal night” or cruise elegant or whatever the current term may fit. Bottom line its just to get photographs sales up.

I personally avoid any dining establishment that would require a jacket or tie. It is my belief it is pretentious and does not define me. A rebel, no. Just a simple guy who loves my shorts, jeans, sneakers and concert “T’s”.

Do you know if i ate my meal in a tux or my shorts with a nice shirt. About 5 hours later it will essentially look something like this [emoji90] no matter what i wear while I consume the meal.

Perhaps you would like to share your thoughts on attribution theory, and its effect on your observations?

Wow. Judgey!!!! Lowest common denominator??? Ha! We’re executives who cruise and PREFER to be casual versus the dress attire of work. Go full on bling if that’s your thing - I won’t judge you. Just don’t assume you know those of us who choose not too. And don’t assume your somehow better either...

I think you quoted the wrong statement, but anyways. It's a fact. It's called marketing. How is that judgy? Nothing I said about how cruising has evolved is anything but factual. I think you're a little oversensitive. Cruising has changed drastically over the years and I'm talking only 15 since we started and it's vastly different in that amount of time.

Or they can do it because it's "their vacation" forgetting it's everyone's vacation.

Why is "everyone's vacation" more important than "their vacation"? Person A should not dictate how Person B dresses in order to improve Person A's vacation.

I believe in the socioeconomic aspect plays a huge roll in this debate. People trying to impress others, usually have something to prove. An article in Psychology today a while back was about how the need, or just the illusion of superiority often will manifest in the need to prove a false reality. I.e. people buying homes, cars, jewelry that they really cant afford, just to feel better about themselves.

Style has always been about demonstrating social status. If you doubt that, observe a group of teenage girls.

Style has always been about demonstrating social status. If you doubt that, observe a group of teenage girls.

So everyone who dresses up is trying to impress their fellow passengers? It's not possible that getting dressed up helps to make their vacation feel more special, or helps them call back to a previous happy experience? It can no be for any internal reason, it is purely about impressing others?

Teenage girls normally attempt to dress in a manner to fit the norm of their social group. If this were the dynamic at play, and the majority of the people on cruises do not wear suits (or tuxes) then people trying to fit in would't wear them either.

Can I ask as an executive what is you dress attire for work? Why do you wear what you wear for work? Why do you decide not to wear the suggested attire on holiday? Not judging just curious.

So everyone who dresses up is trying to impress their fellow passengers? It's not possible that getting dressed up helps to make their vacation feel more special, or helps them call back to a previous happy experience? It can no be for any internal reason, it is purely about impressing others?

Teenage girls normally attempt to dress in a manner to fit the norm of their social group. If this were the dynamic at play, and the majority of the people on cruises do not wear suits (or tuxes) then people trying to fit in would't wear them either.

If dressing up is for internal reasons, why the emphasis on every one dressing up? If you're dressing up for yourself, why do you care what others wear?

It certainly can be for "internal reasons". For example, when someone has to have the latest styles in order to demonstrate that they belong to the 'in-group'. That desire for belonging is certainly an 'internal reason'. Most of the dress code threads are started by someone who wants to know what they need to wear in order to 'fit in', or to impress others. That's why some cruise lines call their formal nights "Dress to Impress"?

I have no issue with those who want to dress to feel good about themselves. The issue comes when Person A wants Person B to dress in a specific way so that Person A will feel good about themselves.

Edited by RocketMan275

I have no issue with those who want to dress to feel good about themselves. The issue comes when Person A wants Person B to dress in a specific way so that Person A will feel good about themselves.

Sensibly spoken.

It is not a dress code it is a dress suggestion. Do you take every suggestion as a rule? If so, I suggest you stop being so judgmental about what other people wear. So long as people who are seated near me don’t smell (either perfume or sweat) I couldn’t care less what they have on.

If dressing up is for internal reasons, why the emphasis on every one dressing up? If you're dressing up for yourself, why do you care what others wear?

It certainly can be for "internal reasons". For example, when someone has to have the latest styles in order to demonstrate that they belong to the 'in-group'. That desire for belonging is certainly an 'internal reason'. Most of the dress code threads are started by someone who wants to know what they need to wear in order to 'fit in', or to impress others. That's why some cruise lines call their formal nights "Dress to Impress"?

I think we are in agreement on the big issue here, there is way too much concern with what others are wearing.

More people need to consider the simple wisdom of, "Not my pig not my farm". I will go to the extreme. If someone sat down in a bathrobe, covering a bathing suit, with a baseball hat on, its not my problem. Yes that happened to us. Had a great conversation about how on Royal they had to ask for a bathrobe, but on Carnival they were in the cabin (at the time).

That said, there are probably too many reasons to count as to why people dress up or don't, and that was the point I was trying to make. Honestly trying to figure out why some people get so effected by how others act, is just as big a waste of time to me, as worrying about what others wearing in the first place.

I like to dress up on cruises. It is one of the only occasions I get to do so anymore. My wife, does not like to dress up, so she doesn't, and makes fun of me for wearing a bow tie. But hell I learned to tie it, so I'm wearing it. Last cruise I was the only man at the table wearing a suit and tie. When one of our table mates asked her why she wasn't dressed up, my wife told her its been 31 years we don't feel the need to always agree anymore. It made for great diner conversation.

I really am sorry if I made it sound like your reasoning was completely wrong, I was only trying to point out it isn't the "only" reason.

As far as the silly tag lines like "Dress to Impress", I think you are reading a lot into that. Michael Jordan always impressed me, and he was in shorts and a tank top.

That said, there are probably too many reasons to count as to why people dress up or don't, and that was the point I was trying to make. Honestly trying to figure out why some people get so effected by how others act, is just as big a waste of time to me, as worrying about what others wearing in the first place.

Understand, but for some reason dress code threads can be some of the most contentious on CC.

Understand, but for some reason dress code threads can be some of the most contentious on CC.

Almost as contentious as gratuities, but it seems that those arguing the case for wearing whatever you want are the same as telling others what they must pay as gratuities.

Both are suggestions and are optional.

Almost as contentious as gratuities, but it seems that those arguing the case for wearing whatever you want are the same as telling others what they must pay as gratuities.

Both are suggestions and are optional.

Imagine the hubub when someone comes across a polo shirt wearing dinner guest, who is over heard talking about removing the autogratuities, and then discussing if they put towels on pool chairs for tomorrow. Or as we call it The Devil's Trifecta.

Also, how heated are the "I want to give the cabin steward a little gift in addition to the gratuity" threads.