Closed Loop EU Cruise

For a Barcelona to Barcelona 7-night cruise that doesn't stop in a non-EU port, it's my understanding that there is a 10% VAT on all food & beverages + a 20% VAT on all other goods & services throughout the cruise. Does that include gratuities?

Does anyone know if you are exempt from the VAT if you pre-purchase any of the items ahead of time thru your Cruise Planner?

For a Barcelona to Barcelona 7-night cruise that doesn't stop in a non-EU port, it's my understanding that there is a 10% VAT on all food & beverages + a 20% VAT on all other goods & services throughout the cruise. Does that include gratuities?

Does anyone know if you are exempt from the VAT if you pre-purchase any of the items ahead of time thru your Cruise Planner?

Here is article that was on cruise critics about VAT I hope this helps.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=3242

From what I've read, they add the 10% to Cruise Planner purchases if the ship only visits ports within the Schengen area.

That's just food & drink? What about services/purchases? Gratuities?

Anyone done one of these?

Gratitude and vat is two different things. If you for example buy a drink onboard, they add both vat and gratitude.

For the excurtions and the combined soda and Wi-Fi package, the cruise planner did not mention vat when I bought it. I've seen reports that say stuffs bought before you board don't add vat, but if bought onboard you pay vat.

That's just food & drink? What about services/purchases? Gratuities?

Anyone done one of these?

They do not add VAT to gratuities. Not sure about the others, but I do know that different items have different percent charges.

They do not add VAT to gratuities. Not sure about the others, but I do know that different items have different percent charges.

I believe drinks and food is 10%, things in the ships 20%.

I think it was that I saw.

Have a look here on the last page.

There you got the official info.

https://issuu.com/hochmania/docs/merged.compressed_11433400966391/30

Thanks. So it's 10% & 21% while on board during the cruise. Does anyone have information on pre-cruise purchases thru your Cruise Planner? I'm sure I'm going to purchase the unlimited internet for our cruise. I would think not since it was purchased in the U.S.

Thanks. So it's 10% & 21% while on board during the cruise. Does anyone have information on pre-cruise purchases thru your Cruise Planner? I'm sure I'm going to purchase the unlimited internet for our cruise. I would think not since it was purchased in the U.S.

You do not pay vat in the cruise planner.

I just double checked the cruise planner for me for my Symphony cruise later this year. Vat is not added.

Thank you very much for checking for me. I just want to put some info on our Roll Call for the folks on our 7-night cruise.

The Schengen area comment is a red herring I'm afraid, the Schengen agreement covers only some EU countries.

If you want to avoid VAT on purchases your cruise will need to call at a non EU port of call.

The Schengen area comment is a red herring I'm afraid, the Schengen agreement covers only some EU countries.

If you want to avoid VAT on purchases your cruise will need to call at a non EU port of call.

Many cruises visit Gibraltar for this reason.

They only charge when your in port:)

On Intra EU cruises the 10% on drinks and the 21% on goods is charged for the whole cruise duration, not only when in port.

There are also no duty free sales on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you have a port call in a Spanish port, in which case you will have to pay the 10% on drinks while you are in port and within Spanish waters.

We've taken TA's starting in Rome with a port visit to Barcelona. The bartenders would warn us the night before about the VAT, and if you purchased any big ticket items, they would take your seapass # and ring it up after we left Spanish waters.

Is the VAT tax also added for drinks "bought" with a drink package, or does the package already include any VAT for drinks?

If you pre-purchased the drink package, you don't have to pay any VAT whatsoever. If you purchase a drink package once you board, you will have to pay for the package, the 18% gratuity, plus the 10% VAT.

Think of this. VAT is a tax, nothing more or less. When you buy an item, you pay the tax. If you buy the cruise, booze, zoom, and gifts prior the cruise, you did not buy it in the EU, so not tax.

What gets most confusing is that on land you pay the taxes, but they are included on the price tag you see. But on the ship, it is added after the price tag.