Can anyone help with these Rhone excursions on AMA?

sjde

We signed up for some excursions on our upcoming river cruise and now that we've received a booklet with more info, I think I may want to change them.

Both hikes (in Tournon to Hermitage and in Vienne to Mt Pipet ) say they are difficulty level 5-the maximum. I'm in decent shape but I don't want that.

Has anyone done it and can say how difficult it really is? Plus in August it'll be hot.

We are considering instead the Steam Train des Gorges and the Vienne walking tour. Can anyone talk about how those are, not in terms of difficulty but in general?

Also, in Lyon we have a choice of a Lyon City tour or Les Halles market tour. I would love it if anyone could give us feedback on those.

Thank you!

We did this cruise in 2015, and I checked our notes to answer your questions:

Vienne – we did the hike to Mt. Pipet. It was not that difficult, and the view from the top was worth the effort. However, my opinion might be very different in August heat [we went in early September, but the mistral was blowing so it was somewhat hot]. The Vienne Walking Tour would also be very nice and includes some sites that we didn't do. There is a lot to see in Vienne.

Tournon – We did the 'limited edition' Hermitage Wine Tasting, which had a short and easy walk to the M.Chapoutier winery where we had an exclusive tasting of their better wines [much better than the wines they were serving at the public area] and a chance to visit the Valrhona Chocolate Store on the way back to the ship.

That evening in Viviers we did another 'limited edition' tour called the Boulangerie Baker's Experience, 'helping' a local baker make his baguettes for the next morning – it was a hoot, and we got to bring our warm loaves home with us [mine didn't make it back to the ship, it was that good!]

The Tournon steam train excursion had bad reviews when we were planning the trip, and the 'limited edition' Red Wine & Chocolate tour was described as dull. So we were very happy with our choices. The only other choice that got really good reviews was the Viviers 'Ghost Walk' tour, which conflicted with the Boulangerie tour that we took.

Lyon – there wasn't any choice when we did this cruise: everybody did the Lyon City Tour; we enjoyed it [we came to Lyon a day early and did some sightseeing on our own, but this tour was still worth it]. And we had time after the tour to visit Les Halles on our own – so we got 'two mints in one'!

• Other choices you didn't ask about:

AvignonPont du Gard is the top site in this area, so if you aren't going to see it on your own [as we did], take the AMA choice. You will have time to walk around Avignon on your own afterward; you probably won't have time to go inside the Papal Palace, but that is not really that great anyway.

Arles – We had to choose between two morning options: Les Baux [a wonderful mountaintop village] plus an Olive Farm was surprisingly worthwhile. OTOH the 'Artist Experience' tour went to see the Carrières de Lumières just outside Les Baux, and that was also excellent [we went on our own after the cruise]. Everybody got to do the Arles Walking Tour in the afternoon.

This was a great cruise, and we were blown away by the combination of great French food and wine plus amazing Roman ruins!

PS – for those not familiar with AMA terminology: 'limited edition' tours are not extra cost, but the number of guests is capped [usually by the event itself, such as fitting into a bakery workroom]. It is advisable to sign up on the AMA website before your cruise so you don't get closed out.

Wow- thanks for all that helpful information!

You mentioned the steam train excursion didn’t get good reviews- where can I find reviews? I looked on the website but didn’t see any.

There is no Boulangerie choice anymore. No Ghost Walk either.

So your trip didn’t have the Hermitage hike in Tournon apparently.

In Lyon we signed up for the City Tour. I wonder if we’re close enough to go to Les Halles on our own the next morning before we leave Lyon at 1 pm to go on the Beaujolais excursion?

Avignon-

We chose one of the two walking tours rather than the bike tour or Pont du Gard. ( We’ve seen the Pont du Guard before.)

Arles- we are signed up for a walking tour and Les Baux.

In Viviers, the Grignan excursion and truffle farm.

Still trying to decide on the Vienne walking tour or Mt Pipet hike.

We did this route with Uniworld a few years back but some things are similar.

If you're in Viviers overnight, go out and walk around on your own. It's awesome! You can't get lost. You don't need a guide. I posted pictures of this in my trip report.

The tram stop in Lyon is Quai Claude Bernard. It is right near the dock. It should take you to a spot near Les Halles. From there walk 2 blocks. The tram system was easy to use.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Just done similar trip last week with uniworld.

Tain and Tournon small towns ,easy to walk both. VERY hot indeed. wine tastings everywhere. And valrona choccy factory, loads of tastings.

Obviously steep slopes, land not irrigated, so everywhere dry and dusty, and the mistral can blow up at any time, remember the film , chocolate?

Arles decent trips, Lyon ,we did the silk weavers, but on most trips you can see the traboulles,alleyways hidden. Les halles, yes a huge market, try and wander on your own.

Host Jazzbeau-

Our booklet doesn't show any "limited edition" excursions. Just "special interest" ones.

They seem to have changed the name – this is much clearer. 'Limited edition' gave the impression of extra cost [which was never true]. The concept always was that if someone has already visited a place, the basic highlights tour will be repetitive – so AMA offers these more specialized tours that go beyond the must-see places. 'Special interest' captures that very well. And since many of these tours were offered in the afternoon or evening, we were often able to do both the regular tour and a special one.

They describe what "special interest" is- alternative immersive experiences in local culture. and are at the same time as other choices. They say availability is limited for ALL excursions, so they suggest signing up before.

For those of you who have done the hiking excursions- I am thinking of bringing only my Tevas in the interest of space and the heat-do you think that would be sufficient for the type of hikes they are? They have good tread. I am thinking as long as it's not through brush I'd be okay.

We signed up for some excursions on our upcoming river cruise and now that we've received a booklet with more info, I think I may want to change them.

Both hikes (in Tournon to Hermitage and in Vienne to Mt Pipet ) say they are difficulty level 5-the maximum. I'm in decent shape but I don't want that.

Has anyone done it and can say how difficult it really is? Plus in August it'll be hot.

We are considering instead the Steam Train des Gorges and the Vienne walking tour. Can anyone talk about how those are, not in terms of difficulty but in general?

Also, in Lyon we have a choice of a Lyon City tour or Les Halles market tour. I would love it if anyone could give us feedback on those.

Thank you!

Vienne- we had a fabulous guide (Jean). He had a great sense of history. This is an under appreciated city- Roman ruins that you can walk up to.

Avignon- I did the city tour & then walked around. Interesting & fun. DH wen to the Pont du Garde( & 2 yrs later still can't get over it)

Tournon- Did the wine tasting & then walked around the town. Enjoyable. We are not into hiking .

Enjoy

Carole

• 2 months later...

We also did the Viking River Cruise to Lyon in 2015 (and to view our complete blog, go here http://www.lipfordfamilyadventures.com/2015_france_adventure.php) or to read our perspective on Viking River Cruises, go here; http://www.lipfordfamilyadventures.com/viking_overview.php.

We did not find any day trip on that route to require exertion, were there some steep walks?  Yes, but no steeper than the stairs on the boat !

Day trips were excellent, food was great and the wine choices were awesome.