Pool Chairs

carollee

Does anyone besides myself have a problem with people saving pool chairs by leaving something on the chair for hours so that they can have the use of the chair when they finish doing whatever it is they are off doing. Is this really fair to the other cruisers who would like to relax and get some sun by the pool? I have walked around the pool area looking for a couple of chairs on more than one occasion without any luck. Saving a chair for a short time is one thing, but I have seen chairs that remain unoccupied for long periods of time. I may be wrong but I thought that all of the cruise lines have a rule that you cannot save chairs? I'm sure that I'm probably going to get blasted by people who are guilty of saving pool chairs but I think the cruise lines should enforce this issue.

Does anyone besides myself have a problem with people saving pool chairs by leaving something on the chair for hours so that they can have the use of the chair when they finish doing whatever it is they are off doing. Is this really fair to the other cruisers who would like to relax and get some sun by the pool? I have walked around the pool area looking for a couple of chairs on more than one occasion without any luck. Saving a chair for a short time is one thing, but I have seen chairs that remain unoccupied for long periods of time. I may be wrong but I thought that all of the cruise lines have a rule that you cannot save chairs? I'm sure that I'm probably going to get blasted by people who are guilty of saving pool chairs but I think the cruise lines should enforce this issue.

This also goes on in the Riviera Maya in Mexico. I would just risk removing the towel or whatever and plopping myself in the chair or lounge.:rolleyes: :cool:

I think I'll follow this for my upcoming cruise-I'll give the benefit of the doubt-I give 'kept' chairs a half hour window. I'll go sit down where there's available chairs, but keep the others under watch. If nobody claims them, I'll sit down. If I'm not tipsy by then. :D

I usually don't care where we are-as long as the seats are together. We like the sun and do hang out on the deck for a couple of hours, but hardly ever leave the chairs for longer than 15 mins. It would tick me off if someone stole my chair while I went for a 10 min dip.

I've never had a problem getting a chair so far though (knock on wood)-so we'll see how useful this system is. As far as I know this is a rule on Carnival-they post it in the Capers, but I've never seen it enforced.

This topic pops up all the time on the main boards and trust me, you will never get blasted on Cruise Critic from people who SAVE chairs because all of us realize that only those selfish a^&*%$^oles that have no respect for others do this. And like Jonaie wrote, it happens everywhere. I watched people run to chairs at 7am when the pool opened at the Mirage in Las Vegas and put towels on half a dozen chairs, PIGS.

A couple of things you can do, depending on the ship. If it has a smaller aft pool go there. You can always ask an attendant to find you a couple of chairs OR just take the stuff off, put it on the deck and move the chairs a little.

Yes the cruise lines ask people not to do this but don't enforce it. Good luck, have fun and remember the sun isn't that great for us anyway, let those chair hogs turn their skin brown and wrinkly.

This also goes on in the Riviera Maya in Mexico. I would just risk removing the towel or whatever and plopping myself in the chair or lounge.:rolleyes: :cool:

I have friends that once removed the towels from two chairs after searching the pool area for close to an hour......they "thought" that since the chairs had been unoccupied for that long (probably longer) that it would be okay......as soon as they got settled in the people saving the chairs came over and gave them a REALLY REALLY hard time....however my friends stood their ground and refused to move. They simpy told the chair savers that the chairs were empty for close to an hour and since you are not supposed to save chairs they were not moving and that if they had a problem with that then they should go and file a complaint...of course they didn't because they were in the wrong and they knew it. So, I guess if you are brave you could take your chances on removing the towel and claiming the chair...but just be ready...because probably the "Chair Hoggers" are watching.

I think I'll follow this for my upcoming cruise-I'll give the benefit of the doubt-I give 'kept' chairs a half hour window. I'll go sit down where there's available chairs, but keep the others under watch. If nobody claims them, I'll sit down. If I'm not tipsy by then. :D

I usually don't care where we are-as long as the seats are together. We like the sun and do hang out on the deck for a couple of hours, but hardly ever leave the chairs for longer than 15 mins. It would tick me off if someone stole my chair while I went for a 10 min dip.

I've never had a problem getting a chair so far though (knock on wood)-so we'll see how useful this system is. As far as I know this is a rule on Carnival-they post it in the Capers, but I've never seen it enforced.

I agree...if I were to take a 10-15 minute dip in the pool and someone stole my chair I would be pretty upset....because this is how people should use the chairs...it's the people that hog/save them for an hour plus while they go eat, have a drink and/or whatever else they are doing that upset me. I guess we just have to realize that not everyone is as considerate as us.Have fun on your upcoming cruise...I cruise in 28 days.

You can often tell that a lounge is vacant but in use because there is a towel, a book, flip flops and a beverage on or next to it.

If there is jusy a towel laying on the lounge that is still neatly folded, and no other signs of occupancy, it probably is a "saved" lounge.

I agree that saving chairs by the pool is completely inconsiderate! However having said that, I think that there are also some passengers who think that just because someone is not sitting in a chair the moment that they happen to see it that it must have been "saved" and that it is completely OK for them to toss someone elses property onto the wet pool deck and plop themselves down. That happened to us on our last cruise. My husband was in the pool and I had to use the restroom. I was gone for maybe 5 minutes and when I returned my towel and my novel were lying in a soaking wet pile on the floor next to my chairs and two ladies were in my place. I told them that I had just been in the bathroom and they yipped at me about no saving of the chairs whatsoever and were really quite mean!!! I just picked up my stuff and found my husband and told him I was moving. He wanted to confront them but I just wanted to let it go. I was embarassed. It really put a damper on my day. I knew I had done nothing wrong but these women made me feel terrible. I guess I just feel that if people have an issue finding a chair or if you feel a chair is being "saved" ask a pool attendant or security guard to deal with it for you. I don't think we as passengers have any right to touch anyone else's belongings. Just my 2 cents.

Susie

On our Dawn Princess cruise the pool deck staff would remove belongings that had been left unattended for more than 1 hr.

I think there was a posting in the Patter on reserving deck chairs.

I was on a small ship one time and we decided not to do an excursion this day. We went up to the sundeck and grabbed a couple unreserved chairs beside a couple reserved chairs. While we were enjoying the sun, music and drinks of course the people who reserved the chairs arrived. They had went on an excursion!!!:mad: It was now @ 3:00 and they left @ 10:00.

So up to you if you want to "move" someone.

Cruisinbuddy;)

Archived