Golden Princess -Alaska- cabin D736

lamd98

We just booked our first cruise, leaving Vancouver to Alaska on the Golden Princess in cabin D736.

My husband is worried he will be seasick since this cabin is in the back of the ship. We will bring patches, bracelets, pills to be prepared but like to put his mind at ease that we picked the right cabin.

Any information on this cabin would be appreciated.

Thank you

On my first cruise, I did everything possible so as not to get sea sick. No problems. My second cruise, I did nothing....did not get sea sick. We've been all over multiple ships including the farthest aft cabin on the ship (not Golden in that case). These ships have great stabilizers. Unless there is a severe storm, the motion is quite small. Far aft, we have experienced some thruster noise and vibration while docking...but that's maybe 10 minutes at each port.

Be sure you join your "roll call".

Find the "Find your roll call" button in the blue band at the top.

Choose the Cruise Line, Ship, Date. If yours isn't there, you can wait 'til someone starts it or start it yourself.

Once you're on the roll call page, just post a question or comment and your're automatically enrolled. Then just make sure your set up to receive a notice when someone posts.

You'll find lots of information and answers to your questions on the roll call.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and cruising!!:D

Edited by JF - retired RRT

That is a cabin I would love. Remember that while the cabins toward the front and back will have more movement than the mid-ship cabins, the front is noticeably rockier than the rear.

And I know of a number of people who were worried about sea-sickness and ended up having no trouble. There are lots of remedies to try, from ginger to patches to other solutions. I don't know the details, because my wife was one of those who was sure she'd get queasy and never did.

So my advice is prepare, but don't fret. Most people do fine.

Jim

We had that cabin on the Golden back in 2003. Great cabin!!!

We did feel a LOT of movement though. We were in the Caribbean though and it can get rough out there.

In Alaska we’ve been lucky and never hit rough seas.

I took an aft cabin for my first cruise. I was armed with ginger gum, wrist bands, Dramamine, and even a scop patch. I was near death within hours. Visited the Medical Clinic who gave me a shot (after I agreed to remove the patch) and a regimen of pills. I was fine by the next day.

Now, I buy Bonine in bulk from amazon, and just pop one the very moment I feel a hint of queasy. Strongly recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IGW3BQE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We sail in these aft suites all the time. DH does sometimes get seasick if the seas are rough. Under normal conditions however he does not get sea sick in the aft cabins. It will really just depend on your husband’s constitution. I’d suggest holding off on alcohol until he figures out how he feels with regards to sea sickness.

You’ve chosen a lovely suite. I think you will really like it. Ask your steward to bring the MDR menus each night. Bring some LED candles and order MDR room service at least one night for a romantic “candle light” balcony dinner. Breakfast in Sabatini’s for suite pax is not to be missed. Your laundry will be done in one day. DH gets his shoes shined and suit pressed in the first day or so.

You have access to a pillow menu as well. Princess luxury beds and pillows are wonderful. I always get a few extra body pillows for lounging about and propping up books while reading.

Read up on all the suite benefits and be sure to take advantage of them all.

We’ve done the trip from Vancouver to Whittier. The inside passage, College fjord & Glacier Bay were like sailing on a lake. If you are doing a RT then you won’t get to College fjord nor will you get to Prince William Sound where seas really picked up.

Personally, I think a RT out of Vancouver or Seattle is probably one of the most reliably calmer cruises there is. But should the seas start acting up just head low and center on the ship and put on the bands. If that’s not enough then try the Dramamine. Try not to over medicate as the side effects can sometimes be worse than the sickness.

Aft cabins will not rock as much as forward ones do. They have a slow gentle feel. The aft wake View is mesmerizing. I hope you enjoy your cruise and that you go on to have many more.

Personally, I think a RT out of Vancouver or Seattle is probably one of the most reliably calmer cruises there is. But should the seas start acting up just head low and center on the ship and put on the bands. If that’s not enough then try the Dramamine. Try not to over medicate as the side effects can sometimes be worse than the sickness.

I have done this route many times. Sometimes the day leaving Vancouver or returning to Vancouver can be rough. Most of the time it is not.

I have done this route many times. Sometimes the day leaving Vancouver or returning to Vancouver can be rough. Most of the time it is not.

I know what you mean. I do hope for these first time cruisers the seas are calm. I remember doing this same thing to get my husband hooked on cruising: Booking an aft suite and bringing things to keep his potential sea sickness at bay. Happy to report it worked and he is now platinum.

My first cruise out of SF on the Grand was with a girlfriend. The seas on that first night were so rough the captain warned us all to “hang on”. Being so inexperienced at first we were alarmed but everyone else was so nonchalant about it we relaxed. We were in an aft mini and were not so gently rocked to sleep. ;)

If that had been my DH first cruise there may not have been a second. Fortunately I took him to Alaska for his first and the seas were calm (except for a little bit in the Prince William Sound but by then he was hooked).

Thank you for your reply...can you tell me what a MDR menu is?

We sail in these aft suites all the time. DH does sometimes get seasick if the seas are rough. Under normal conditions however he does not get sea sick in the aft cabins. It will really just depend on your husband’s constitution. I’d suggest holding off on alcohol until he figures out how he feels with regards to sea sickness.

You’ve chosen a lovely suite. I think you will really like it. Ask your steward to bring the MDR menus each night. Bring some LED candles and order MDR room service at least one night for a romantic “candle light” balcony dinner. Breakfast in Sabatini’s for suite pax is not to be missed. Your laundry will be done in one day. DH gets his shoes shined and suit pressed in the first day or so.

You have access to a pillow menu as well. Princess luxury beds and pillows are wonderful. I always get a few extra body pillows for lounging about and propping up books while reading.

Read up on all the suite benefits and be sure to take advantage of them all.

We’ve done the trip from Vancouver to Whittier. The inside passage, College fjord & Glacier Bay were like sailing on a lake. If you are doing a RT then you won’t get to College fjord nor will you get to Prince William Sound where seas really picked up.

Aft cabins will not rock as much as forward ones do. They have a slow gentle feel. The aft wake View is mesmerizing. I hope you enjoy your cruise and that you go on to have many more.

Great cabin you will love it , we have been deck 10 the cabin directly above three times on the Golden, movement is very little, great view.... the beam on the balcony is about 18 inch wide and does not get in the way....you have table and chairs and sun lounges, plenty of wardrobe space.... great bed

Also easy to find just go to the end of corridor and you are there..

Have a great time and enjoy your suite..... we will be on again in 101 days

Cheers Don

HI John_galt, like the photos... is it interesting .. we have stay in c748 and c750 on the golden one is vista and the other penthouse suite and it looks like the grand vista suite is the same as the penthouse on the golden...

Differences being wider balcony, deck is L shaped ( bigger ) and basin in bathroom has shelfs at either side ( handy )

Still a great cabin.

Cheers Don

I spend a lot of time in the room and enjoy the extra space. The tiny balconies in standard rooms on the Royal class ships are a non-starter for me. You have to book a suite in order to get any use out of the balcony. I'm booked in a PH on the Sky because it looks to be about the size of a VS on the Grand class ships. I wish the cruise lines would build some smaller ships. These new monsters really don't appeal to me. I may have to switch to Silversea. Viking Ocean looks nice, too.