Platinum Priority

maxydu

Just curious if anyone had a different expectation about "priority reservations" in main dining room and specialty venues". I just tried to make a reservation in the steakhouse on the Sunshine for a Dec 2018

cruise at 7pm one evening. I received a note from the manager stating that they were unable to honor the reservation at 7pm and would book us for 5:30pm. I replied that we were Platinum cruisers and I thought one of the perks was priority reservations and asked for a 7pm reservation for any night.

Long story short, he replied "priority" is only for waiting lists purposes where you move ahead of other waiting list folks who are not Platinum. So, I guess the priority is not very much of a priority.

Before you jump on me, No, I didn't expect them to cancel someone else's reservation at 7pm in order to give me priority. My thinking is it's not very much of a "perk".

Just curious if anyone had a different expectation about "priority reservations" in main dining room and specialty venues". I just tried to make a reservation in the steakhouse on the Sunshine for a Dec 2018

cruise at 7pm one evening. I received a note from the manager stating that they were unable to honor the reservation at 7pm and would book us for 5:30pm. I replied that we were Platinum cruisers and I thought one of the perks was priority reservations and asked for a 7pm reservation for any night.

Long story short, he replied "priority" is only for waiting lists purposes where you move ahead of other waiting list folks who are not Platinum. So, I guess the priority is not very much of a priority.

Before you jump on me, No, I didn't expect them to cancel someone else's reservation at 7pm in order to give me priority. My thinking is it's not very much of a "perk".

Hi

That's the thing about a "perk", it's "free", and doesn't necessarily always have value to everyone.

It's like the gifts, if they give you something you already have three of, "it's not much of a perk". But it "free". They give you those little pins, "it's not much of a perk", but it's free. Imagine, you buy Cheers for your cruise, and they give you a few bottles of water...:)…"it's not much of a perk", but it's free. I could go on.

I hope you are not selecting a cruise or cruiseline because of the "perks" they might give you because you are right, sometimes "it's not much of a perk".

Unless I'm mistaken, the priority is for dining times in the fixed time dining room, not the steak house.

it is for both dinning room and specialty restaurants. What exactly that means, who knows. I always got the dinning I have requested even when sold out. Only once I was not able to go to the steak house that was for a last minute booking over New Years on the Splendor. oh well.

From

help.carnival.com

Same for both Diamond and Platinum.

“Priority reservations at Specialty restaurants. Requires minimum 24-hour prior notice. Carnival does not guarantee that Member will receive requested reservation time. Member responsible for any and all costs associated with eating at Specialty restaurants, including without limitation, meal and beverage costs and gratuity.”

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very true and do not think they really do much to help platinums get dining times they want

If there are a lot of Plats and Diamonds on board, they can't accommodate all of them all of the time, especially at prime times. Not hard to understand. IMHO. :) Same goes for the free laundry turn around times.

A few years ago the perks list for Diamond included guaranteed steakhouse reservations (it now says priority like Platinum). I asked John Heald what that meant. He said, "essentially nothing, if they have space you get it, but they will not remove someone's reservation so a Diamond gets in." Priority just moves you to the top of the wait list. That is why they appropriately removed the word guaranteed and why priority doesn't mean much.

A few years ago the perks list for Diamond included guaranteed steakhouse reservations (it now says priority like Platinum). I asked John Heald what that meant. He said, "essentially nothing, if they have space you get it, but they will not remove someone's reservation so a Diamond gets in." Priority just moves you to the top of the wait list. That is why they appropriately removed the word guaranteed and why priority doesn't mean much.

Back when we were diamond and only priority for dining times in DR always had the feel they would really do nothing for us.

Understand hard to guarantee in specialty restaurants but in DR should be able to take care of customers request

Like I said in my post, I didn't expect them to "do anything". I was merely pointing out that the "perk" is somewhat useless.

I guess it would have been nice if the manager would have pointed out other days/times close to my request that I might have been interested in. Basic customer service....

Based on my cruising history, 14 all on CCL......it is obvious that I don't pick a cruise line based on the loyalty perks.

It's amazing how rude and presumptuous people on this site can be. Remember, it's here to share things about Carnival not

to one up someone.......See you on board......

Like I said in my post, I didn't expect them to "do anything". I was merely pointing out that the "perk" is somewhat useless.

I guess it would have been nice if the manager would have pointed out other days/times close to my request that I might have been interested in. Basic customer service....

Based on my cruising history, 14 all on CCL......it is obvious that I don't pick a cruise line based on the loyalty perks.

It's amazing how rude and presumptuous people on this site can be. Remember, it's here to share things about Carnival not

to one up someone.......See you on board......

A few months ago, I had made Steakhouse reservations on line several months prior to the cruise and had a wonderful experience with the new menu. I liked it so much, that I attempted to make a 2nd appt for the next to last night, but was told they could not accommodate me since the restaurant was "booked solid".

Since I wasn't yet aware of the change from guaranteed Diamond specialty reservations to priority I mentioned this to the Captain and Guest Services head at one of the parties. They shrugged their shoulders and asked me about booking a different time or day.

When I returned to my cabin, I re-read the VIFP welcome letter and it must not have been revised, since it clearly stated that Diamonds get guaranteed reservations. I brought that to GS, sat with the GS supervisor in her office as she made a few phone calls, and I wound up with my request being honored for the day and time I originally requested.

I received several messages from the Steakhouse afterwards, confirming my reservation, offering me a free bottle of wine, and telling me they had a few cancellations so I could accept other time slots if I wanted.

In the end, I had another great meal at the Steakhouse. BTW, there were empty tables the whole 100 minutes I was in the restaurant, but I'll stick to my usual pre-booked reservation from now on.

A few months ago, I had made Steakhouse reservations on line several months prior to the cruise and had a wonderful experience with the new menu. I liked it so much, that I attempted to make a 2nd appt for the next to last night, but was told they could not accommodate me since the restaurant was "booked solid".

Since I wasn't yet aware of the change from guaranteed Diamond specialty reservations to priority I mentioned this to the Captain and Guest Services head at one of the parties. They shrugged their shoulders and asked me about booking a different time or day.

When I returned to my cabin, I re-read the VIFP welcome letter and it must not have been revised, since it clearly stated that Diamonds get guaranteed reservations. I brought that to GS, sat with the GS supervisor in her office as she made a few phone calls, and I wound up with my request being honored for the day and time I originally requested.

I received several messages from the Steakhouse afterwards, confirming my reservation, offering me a free bottle of wine, and telling me they had a few cancellations so I could accept other time slots if I wanted.

In the end, I had another great meal at the Steakhouse. BTW, there were empty tables the whole 100 minutes I was in the restaurant, but I'll stick to my usual pre-booked reservation from now on.

Always empty tables make me wonder how well they manage their time slots

I would have just showed up at 7, don't think I have ever seen the Steakhouse completely full. I have seen people waiting while there were open tables, which drives me crazy.

What we have done is to go at the time we want to eat and say “Look, we don’t have a reservation, but if someone doesn’t show up, can we have theirs?” And we end up getting in because there’s always people that don’t show up.

On a side note, we have never eaten in the Steakhouse when it was completely full. Never. Maybe they should start charging people a fee for missed reservations so that people will stop making reservations that they don’t intend to keep.

I've heard that restaurant staffing often determines how many reservations can be offered.

Carnival probably anticipates fairly full capacities on the first, penultimate and last nights of a weeklong cruise. For those nights, full staffing may be scheduled. Perhaps they anticipate 50% capacity for the other nights of the cruise so only scheduled 50% of the waiters and chefs.

For this reason, there may be lots of empty tables, which is usually my experience, but insufficient support staff to manage a 90 or 100% capacity.

Been there and done that, even with empty tables they stated they were full.

As I stated in another thread Diamond and Platinum members are being pushed to the side while the pay for the perks people are being advanced.

Funny story, well we found it funny.....

Few years ago we booked a cruise a few weeks out. At embarkation we were assigned late dining. Go see the MD about changing to Early or MTD, he begrudgingly says he’ll see what he can do and asks for our cards. So satisfying turning over not 1, not 2 but three platinum cards. He sighs and changes our assignment then and there.

I recently booked a cruise on Sunshine and was added to the waitlist for early dining (YTD confirmed at time of booking). A few days later I received an e-mail stating we were now confirmed for early dining. I assume being platinum helped getting early dining confirmed.

Funny story, well we found it funny.....

Few years ago we booked a cruise a few weeks out. At embarkation we were assigned late dining. Go see the MD about changing to Early or MTD, he begrudgingly says he’ll see what he can do and asks for our cards. So satisfying turning over not 1, not 2 but three platinum cards. He sighs and changes our assignment then and there.

Good story here's another from the MDR,when we finally arrive to the front of the line on one cruise the Matri D said what are you doing waiting in line for, you should have walked past them to me.

I remember those days of past. Now days they just ask for your room number, no more card flashing the crowd.;p Platinum's are a dime a dozen these days anyways :D

Good story here's another from the MDR,when we finally arrive to the front of the line on one cruise the Matri D said what are you doing waiting in line for, you should have walked past them to me.

I remember those days of past. Now days they just ask for your room number, no more card flashing the crowd.;p Platinum's are a dime a dozen these days anyways :D

How about Platinum and Diamond priority when re-boarding the ship in a port? Another relic of that bygone era.

It will remain a thing of the past until Carnival starts selling Faster to the Food priority for $99/cabin.

How about Platinum and Diamond priority when re-boarding the ship in a port? Another relic of that bygone era.

It will remain a thing of the past until Carnival starts selling Faster to the Food priority for $99/cabin.

True, Heald Boy would tell us in his blog just to go to the front of the line and they will let you pass. Tried that one a few times only to be told get to the back of the line. HMC became a joke in one of the Comedians script .

And quote , I hear tell of people trying to break into the lines in the port to get back on the ship first. To bad their line starts in the back ,behind everyone else.:D.

You just learn how to avoid situations like that after awhile ;p