Dress code - I'm confused

Harters

The phrase "minimum dress code" is loaded with passive-aggressive meaning. Some of you cannot seem to help yourselves, but there are many people who read what you write and understand exactly what you mean. "Take it up a few notches" is an implication that the minimum dress code is not really sufficient, for example.

Subscribe to conspiracy theories much? 🤣🤣🤣

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is too funny! I reread the entire thread to be certain, and there isn’t one post that is trying to “shame” the OP into any standard other than the minimum dress code and “wear what you want”. This type of post just triggers the negativity. Why would you do that when it wasn’t there in the first place?

Uhhhh...did I say that anyone in this thread attempted to shame anyone in reference to the dress code? No I did not. However there have been threads ad nauseam about this topic and some posters have attempted just that! Do a search.

[.........

Uhhhh...did I say that anyone in this thread attempted to shame anyone in reference to the dress code? No I did not. However there have been threads ad nauseam about this topic and some posters have attempted just that! Do a search.

Thread drift much? Time to take it down a notch.

Which is my point. Read the guidelines or post the guidelines for people with questions. The trouble comes when someone adds "but" or "however" which is a regular occurrence on this and other CC boards. It is that editorial that gets people accused of being dress code police. There's a multi-page thread on the Celebrity board right now with several people looking down their noses at Hawaiian shirts, even though they fit the dress code. Same thing happened just a few weeks ago on this board with a thread about jeans (which are generally allowed with the Gala Night caveat).

Which is my point. Read the guidelines or post the guidelines for people with questions. The trouble comes when someone adds "but" or "however" which is a regular occurrence on this and other CC boards. It is that editorial that gets people accused of being dress code police. There's a multi-page thread on the Celebrity board right now with several people looking down their noses at Hawaiian shirts, even though they fit the dress code. Same thing happened just a few weeks ago on this board with a thread about jeans (which are generally allowed with the Gala Night caveat).

There need to be a personally protective dress code for those with thin skins.

Collared shirt and slacks always work, although in my experience, people do tend to dress up a little more on HAL for Gala nights (spirts jackets, suits, ties, tuxes for men, gowns, dressy slacks and tops, and cocktail dresses for women). But you won’t get turned away from any restaurant if you’re wearing collared shirt and slacks.

We were on Westerdam about a month ago in Alaska. I wore a tie on gala night. Me and about 10 others, that was it

It is much ado about nothing. The guidelines are clear. Besides, how many cruisers read or even care about what is posted on CC? Probably less than 1 percent. There is your real answer.

Exactly.

Agree. I suspect that people who are so concerned about conformity or fitting in are either very insecure or are so arrogant that they honestly believe that they way they dress and/or the way that they do things is the only right way. It must be difficult for them to adjust when they actually get off a cruise ship and truly experience some foreign countries.

Edited by iancal

That is too funny! I reread the entire thread to be certain, and there isn’t one post that is trying to “shame” the OP into any standard other than the minimum dress code and “wear what you want”. This type of post just triggers the negativity. Why would you do that when it wasn’t there in the first place?

No search necessary. That was then, this is now. There is no need to drag prior conversations into this thread that answers the OP's question on its own. No need to bring ad nauseum here.

We were on Westerdam about a month ago in Alaska. I wore a tie on gala night. Me and about 10 others, that was it

That may be true since every sailing can vary. It’s just not the norm from what I’ve experienced. But as I mentioned, it doesn’t really matter. If you like wearing a tie, wear a tie; if you don’t like wearing a tie, don’t. No need to “count” ties on your cruise (unless you’re into that sort of thing). LOL!

Precisely the point. The “fashion police” exists only in the imaginations of people who, for their own inexplicable reasons, seem to want to believe that there are people lurking in MDR’s waiting to take pot shots at them.

There are. Just read this (and a bunch of older) threads on the subject!