Regal In The Caribbean: Aft Balcony vs Balcony + Sanctuary

OrinocoFlow

Hello, fellow CCers.

I would love to hear your thoughts as we think through a decision we have to make about the cabin we want on a 14-day cruise on the Regal Princess for March 2019 in the Caribbean. We don't know the Regal because we've only cruised on grand class ships: Star, Grand, and Caribbean.

All things being equal we would probably have booked on the Caribbean again but with her engine troubles, we won't risk issues again as we had in the Panama Canal and will wait until she's out of dry dock in 2020.

So we could use your help in understanding the tradeoffs. We don't necessarily need advice but we want to hear everyone's take!

Here are the details of the Choices: (again a 14-day cruise in the Caribbean in March)

Option A: Aft-Facing Balcony on Riviera Deck

Option B: Forward standard balcony on Aloha Deck

Difference in price is ~$500/pp; which isn't out of our reach; but we'd basically shift our Sanctuary plans to that.

About Us:

1. We have always enjoyed the standard balcony cabins, usually on Baja mid-aft; we very much need quiet and are careful never to book near laundry, lifts, public space and so on.

2. We are active middle-aged adults; we have a rule never to take elevators on the ship (to watch our weight) so we don't mind the long walks. And missing the promenade *sniff* we know we'll need it even more.

3. We know if we stay forward we can easily access the sanctuary; we wouldn't opt for the sanctuary if we splurged on the rear facing deck.

4. We worry about Soot and Getting crazy sunburned on the aft deck; how real is that? (we *loved* those padded loungers in the shade in the sanctuary and vowed we'd get them for the entire cruise next time -afternoon tea was especially decadent)

5. We know that if we stay aft, we're right near the horizon court and can basically stuff our own faces on the balcony any time (we travel with travel mugs and we bring our own wine).

6. Did I mention we hate noise? we really hate noise. Living in a large city, having a quiet room on vacation matters.

7. Are the forward balconies obstructed from lifeboats? Is there a way to see the view out of the forward cabin?

thanks in advice cruisers!

OF

ETA: we really did look for those forward deluxe balcony cabins on marina and lido but sigh,no luck. we'll keep an eye as the time ticks downl...

Edited by OrinocoFlow
added info about the forward deluxe balconies

We have done 5 cruises on the Regal and love the ship and the Sanctuary on there. We always do weekly passes. The Sanctuary is always one of the greatest experiences up there. If it was me, I’d grab the balcony cabin and the Sanctuary in a heartbeat!

We have done 5 cruises on the Regal and love the ship and the Sanctuary on there. We always do weekly passes. The Sanctuary is always one of the greatest experiences up there. If it was me, I’d grab the balcony cabin and the Sanctuary in a heartbeat!

how's the noise on Aloha forward? anything from above? how's the sanctuary on regal vs on caribbean (if you have experience)?

how's the noise on Aloha forward? anything from above? how's the sanctuary on regal vs on caribbean (if you have experience)?

It was built specifically to be the sanctuary so it’s very different. There are also bathrooms in there. Not as much sun as those no the Caribbean (grand class ships) but it’s so much nicer!!

Here are a lot of pictures of the Sanctuary!

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/regal-princess-679/the-sanctuary-114071/

I haven’t stayed on Aloha so can’t help you with that one.

It was built specifically to be the sanctuary so it’s very different. There are also bathrooms in there. Not as much sun as those no the Caribbean (grand class ships) but it’s so much nicer!!

Here are a lot of pictures of the Sanctuary!

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/regal-princess-679/the-sanctuary-114071/

I haven’t stayed on Aloha so can’t help you with that one.

Thanks for that link! It seems bigger than on the Caribbean; to your point it was built for that. looks very nice and not having to walk downstairs to the bathroom is a big plus! I see there are more loungers forward in the shade; that is a must for us; we want to be right upfront with the water but in the shade/screen. so I know I'll be doing that when we board; immediately!

Our cruise also is a B2B so in addition to our sea days so if we do decide to take that, we'll book it for the FLL day and lounge up there.

thank you!

Hey in case, anyone's interested, here's our update.

1. We decided to book a regular balcony on the Regal for our Carribbean cruise. We had to switch dates to get a room on the aft Baja deck which we prefer. (quieter, near the HC for snacking, higher up, plus the aloha balconies available had the bridge like right outside which was a non-starter for us.)

2. We passed on the aft balcony. ultimately it came down to really wanting the Sanctuary experience, which we loved, being anxious about having the horizon court overlooking us (only Marina and Riveria decks were available, and sometimes, let's face it, I do want to spend a few minutes topless on my balcony - sorry, y'all but it's like the only time the girls get a few minutes of sun)

3. We know it's gonna be different on the Regal vs the 3 other Grand Class Ships; but we feel forwarned thanks to Cruise Critic so we know what we are signing up for; and we'll enjoy all the other new amenities and upgrades. That said, we were so spoiled, quite by accident our last two cruises were fresh out of dry dock and our first together was on a fairly new ship.

4. I've already purchased a new bathing suit -one with these awesome swim shorts that I wore a lot last cruise because they work on excursions as well as the beach -because we made a decision this cruise to do anytime dining and eat in the DR a lot less; having learned that days where we never change out of our bathing suits might be the best days of the trip. ;)

:D

It's nice that you're getting what you like. We've never tried the Sanctuary.

It was transformative for us on a Caribbean cruise. Reserved seat. No music, screaming, or loud noises. Padded loungers in the shade. Heaven on sea days esp when they bring afternoon tea to you in the chair!

If there weren’t the awful and frankly rude chair hogs we probably wouldn’t do it, but I am still rolling my eyes at the woman holding a chair in the shade for 3 hours for a friend who never showed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...