Princess trip insurance?

Grieving Widow

My husband and I booked an Alaskan cruise with princess. We were very excited to take this trip. Booked in January for travel in may. Paid in full at the time of booking. Booked air and cruise thru princess. Unfortunately my husband died in an accident in march. I filed a claim on the trip insurance but did not receive the cost of the airfare back. I have been told that I will be given a credit with American for my portion, but it is at their discretion whether or not I will be allowed to use my husband's air credit. If I can't use it, shouldn't they refund it? And why was that not included in the trip insurance? The kicker is, had i not paid in full at the time of the booking, I would only be out a $400 deposit, instead of nearly $1300 for the insurance and airfare.

I'm so sorry about your husband.

Obviously it was your choice to pay in full at the time of booking. In this case, that was an unfortunate decision. But there was no way for you to predict that in advance.

As to what AA should or shouldn't do, that's a matter of the fine print on their contract. Yes, my personal belief is that they should either refund your husband's fare or allow you to use it. However, my opinion is not relevant to the legal situation. My only suggestion would be that you not take the first reply you get as the final answer--escalate this up their corporate ladder to see what happens. Did you ask Princess why the EZ Air wasn't refunded or why it wasn't insured as part of the trip costs?

You'll never get the insurance premium back; that's just the decision you made. Yes, you could have added insurance at final payment date, but who knew?

Again, I'm really sorry and hope you get the best financial settlement possible.

I am sorry for your loss. But the question is, what day was your cruise to be on, and what day did you notify Princess of cancellation? If you cancelled before the 75 day penalty phase then you would receive an entire refund of the cruise fare (less the insurance premium) with no insurance claim necessary. Having paid in full at time of booking is irrelevant. And had you booked a flexible fare through EZAir you would be entitled to a full refund up to 45 days before the first flight. So the real issue is, why was your EZAir flight booked with a non-flexible ticket? That would be the first question I would have for either your Travel Agent, or Princess if you booked directly. If the latter substantial escalation would likely be required.

But on the American Airlines website there is a form to download for requesting a ticket be cancelled and refunded--with one of the valid reasons being death of a passenger. However you can only apply direct to AA if you bought the ticket directly from them. So misinformation given to you from Princess about you having to appeal to AA to use your husband's voucher--you can't, but the booking agent can request a refund for you. I wish you the best in working this out.

IIRC, Princess air is covered by the Princess Cruise waiver. However, airlines may issue a voucher, usually good for one year - do technically you haven't had a loss yet. IF the voucher is not used by one year, then it becomes a loss to you and you could collect. Given the unfortunate circumstances you described, I suspect (and certainly hope)in the end you will be made financially whole (less the cost of the waiver).

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Forums mobile app

However, airlines may issue a voucher, usually good for one year

Unfortunately the voucher would usually be in the name of the booked passenger. If would be up to AA to have it issued to the surviving spouse.

Unfortunately the voucher would usually be in the name of the booked passenger. If would be up to AA to have it issued to the surviving spouse.
Agreed. I imagine AA will, for public relations if no other reason. After all, there's even a form for AAdvantage miles to go to spouse at death.

First of all, I am so sorry for your loss. If you paid for your cruise and airfare with a major credit card, your card probably offers travel coverage which would reimburse your airline cost. I would call them to see if you are covered.

We are going through a "situation" with both Princess and AA. Based on 2 months of utter frustration (dealing with both AA and Princess) you will generally find that AA will not deal with you if you have booked through EZ-Air. AA's position is that you need to deal with the booking entity...which is EZ-Air. Trust me that to simply get a statement from either Princess or AA that you can or cannot get a voucher, refund, etc. is more difficult then getting into the Oval Office!

Hank

I'm so sorry about your husband.

Obviously it was your choice to pay in full at the time of booking. In this case' date=' that was an unfortunate decision. But there was no way for you to predict that in advance..[/quote']

There are very valid reasons to pay for insurance up front to cover pre-existing conditions with their look back period. This actually is a common practice.

I am so sorry for the OP. I would contact American Airlines. I know others who have parents who can't travel anymore and they needed a statement from the doctor and the airline gave them the money back. I personally am surprised that insurance didn't cover this but I would contact American Airlines. Contact a supervisor. Or write a letter.

This is just wrong.

Again so sorry.

Agreed. I imagine AA will, for public relations if no other reason. After all, there's even a form for AAdvantage miles to go to spouse at death.

Yes - I filled out a form to get my Mom's miles.

Also, in the future, use a 3rd party insurance. I have several times filed claims and received air cost back. Again so sorry.

Thanks to everyone that responded. A lot of good information, and suggestions that should help greatly. I do realize that I will not be reimbursed the cost of the insurance. I was well within 75 days prior to departure when I notified my travel agent of his death, but not sure if she notified princess until I received death certificates. That took about 3 weeks, so that might have reduced it to 60 days prior.

needless to say, this is my first and last experience with princess, and the travel agent we used.

Thanks to everyone that responded. A lot of good information, and suggestions that should help greatly. I do realize that I will not be reimbursed the cost of the insurance. I was well within 75 days prior to departure when I notified my travel agent of his death, but not sure if she notified princess until I received death certificates. That took about 3 weeks, so that might have reduced it to 60 days prior.

needless to say, this is my first and last experience with princess, and the travel agent we used.

Wow - I would blame the TA for part of this! If you had a refundable deposit, she should have gotten all of your money back easily if you had cancelled before 75 days (not sure about insurance).

Unfortunately, most cruise lines have a similar policy. Some of the higher ones don't refund anything after deposit.

I rarely book airfare with the cruise line, I just did it for the second time. I am still surprised you didn't get your money back from that given the circumstance. If you cancelled for any reason, I would get it. I haven't read the fine print on this.

--------------

OK - I just read the basic policy, not the extended wording. Why was air not refunded? I don't find anything that says air would be given as a credit.

Sorry - cruise air is new to me.

Edited by Coral

We are going through a "situation" with both Princess and AA. Based on 2 months of utter frustration (dealing with both AA and Princess) you will generally find that AA will not deal with you if you have booked through EZ-Air. AA's position is that you need to deal with the booking entity...which is EZ-Air. Trust me that to simply get a statement from either Princess or AA that you can or cannot get a voucher, refund, etc. is more difficult then getting into the Oval Office!

Hank

Thank you, I feel your frustration. I was initially told that the princess "air department" would issue a refund for my husband s ticket but not mine, in 3 to 5 business days. When that didn't happen, I called back. Then was told about 6 weeks, when that didn't happen, I was told they needed another death certificate, as they had no proof of loss, even though I submitted a death certificate and was refunded the other portion. And yes, American will not deal with me because it was thru Princess. Still don't understand why airfare is not included in the trip insurance, and the only answer i get is "that's the way it is".

Still don't understand why airfare is not included in the trip insurance, and the only answer i get is "that's the way it is".

I don't understand that either as the policy says: Extra feature

Protection for Cruise Plus hotel add-ons and eZAir arrangements is included at no additional cost.

I can't find the extended policy wording. All I can say is I am sorry.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Did you speak with EZ Air directly or through your travel agent? You can call EZ Air yourself. If you haven't directly spoken with them I would do so. Don't rely on your travel agent for this. Princess won't talk to you about your cruise if you booked with a TA but they WILL talk to you about EZ Air because that is usually booked directly by you. My TA always tells me to do it myself (and I am glad to do so!).

I now see you updated again. Yes, if you have Princess insurance it covers the air fare for no additional cost. If it is your TA who is giving you the wrong info... please contact Princess directly. You will have to explain your situation and they call EZ Air. Sometimes they will transfer you to them but other times they are a go between between you and that department.

We always use third party insurance, but that's a different issue.

You need to know for sure whether there was a delay between the time you notified your TA and the TA notified Princess. If so, did that delay cross a line that influenced your refund? If it did, you should demand the difference from the TA. TAs can have insurance to cover their mistakes!

THey should have notified Princess immediately when you notified them. Sure, you might have had to submit documentation, but that can wait--the cancelation of the cruise should have occurred immediately. THEN Princess and the TA can deal with getting the insurance involved and getting the money back from Princess and the insurance.

You need to know for sure whether there was a delay between the time you notified your TA and the TA notified Princess. If so' date=' did that delay cross a line that influenced your refund? If it did, you should demand the difference from the TA. TAs can have insurance to cover their mistakes!

[/quote']

I agree - the problem does fall under the Travel Agency. If the travel agency does have insurance, I doubt they would file a claim for $1300. Sort of like a doctor using malpractice insurance for that amount or a home owner filing a claim for that amount. I once asked my TA about this and she said she would only use it on a major claim. She would pay out any small mistakes out of her own pocket because once you use the insurance, premiums go up quite a bit.

The agent should have cancelled right away! Maybe take this up with their supervisor also.

You should have been able to cancel right away. Not sure if you had a non-refundable deposit or not but they should have called right away and have that on record. Make her accountable.

Good luck. Sorry you are dealing with this and everything else that comes with a death.

I have another odd question. Did you book with Flexible or Restricted Air?

I thought you could cancel Flexible Air up until 45 days before you leave. I am new to cruise line air so I could be wrong. Hopefully someone can clarify.

I have another odd question. Did you book with Flexible or Restricted Air?

I thought you could cancel Flexible Air up until 45 days before you leave. I am new to cruise line air so I could be wrong. Hopefully someone can clarify.

That's my understanding as well, unless you request that Princess ticket your flexible air prior to the 45 days. If you request early ticketing that removes the price adjustment or refund option.

My point about TAs having insurance (in most cases!) was to counteract the idea that "I wouldn't want to take the money out of her pocket." If a TA screws up and costs you money, you should demand that they make you whole. Whether they then file a claim with their insurance or pay you our of their pocket is totally up to them. It's the same decision someone might make with a minor car accident--is it better to pay it out of pocket and maintain a clean record with the insurance company or should you file a claim and risk a rate increase? But it isn't a decision that the client should worry about; they should be made whole regardless of how the agent chooses to do it.

That's my understanding as well' date=' unless you request that Princess ticket your flexible air prior to the 45 days. If you request early ticketing that removes the price adjustment or refund option.

My point about TAs having insurance (in most cases!) was to counteract the idea that "I wouldn't want to take the money out of her pocket." If a TA screws up and costs you money, you should demand that they make you whole. Whether they then file a claim with their insurance or pay you our of their pocket is totally up to them. It's the same decision someone might make with a minor car accident--is it better to pay it out of pocket and maintain a clean record with the insurance company or should you file a claim and risk a rate increase? But it isn't a decision that the client should worry about; they should be made whole regardless of how the agent chooses to do it.[/quote']

You are right - I understand your thinking now. This really is a crappy TA. She probably is not familiar with cruises as most agents familiar with cruising would have cancelled it right away. Most travel agents out there are general travel agents. I now wonder if the TA encouraged the couple to pay for the whole trip up front.

I hate to even suggest this - but if you are dealing with an attorney anyway on your husband's estate, and you did inform your agent you wanted to cancel 75 days out and you had refundable deposit, I would ask the attorney if they would send the agent a "letter" suggesting it was their negligence that they didn't cancel the cruise in time. One doesn't need a reason to cancel in the US and request the refund. Not an attorney but you notified the agency in a timely matter within the 75 days. Just make sure you had a refundable deposit if you go this way. Not a lawyer but I have used attorneys to help settle a few disputes.