YC Upsell question

Morgsmom

For anyone who has received the opportunity to receive a Yacht Club upsell how far in advance of sailing was it? I keep saying silent prayers to the upsell powers that be but wondering how far out that is done... (Yes, there are still plenty of YC cabins on the upcoming Sept sailing).

I'm trying to decide if I should stick with our Bella Balcony (was just assigned a Fantastica location) or bit the bullet and buy up to an Inside YC on the Seaside. After seeing so many awesome trip reviews and noting that for our January cruise the YC is full I can't decide.... Wish that money were no object, but, alas, it is

Book it! You only live once and don't bring your money with you when you are gone! We did it in June and already booked another one for March! JUST DO IT! lol

LOL!! but that means we'd do ONE YC cruise vs 2 "regular" people balcony cruises... decisions, decisions... (and we are not even retired yet so we have to stretch our money out while we have it ;p)

What is the total price difference, and can you make it work or would it make life really difficult?

It's not just the price difference it's the matter of losing the balcony, too which is my refuge.

So it'd be 2 cruises in a Balcony or ONE in a YC Inside. There is a choice of YC Inside "regular" or YC Inside "hancicapped" which are both open for booking, but most of the HC space is taken up by the bathroom (which lacks the nice shower in the regular room.)

The YC inside prices have steadily crept up while the deluxe balcony prices have remained fairly steady. With the differences I've been seeing lately I would find it hard to book an inside. The HC inside shower and cabin size make it much more bearable than that tiny regular inside & bathroom. I would consider one of those HC cabins but probably not the standard YC inside until prices go back down.

It's not just the price difference it's the matter of losing the balcony, too which is my refuge.

So it'd be 2 cruises in a Balcony or ONE in a YC Inside. There is a choice of YC Inside "regular" or YC Inside "hancicapped" which are both open for booking, but most of the HC space is taken up by the bathroom (which lacks the nice shower in the regular room.)

Oh I understand what you are saying. Sorry. For me I'd more likely choose the YC experience, but mostly because I can't cruise terribly often anyway, so I might as well make it big. If it meant I could cruise again and I had the time off to do so - then I'd seriously consider sticking to a normal balcony.

If it is truly 2 cruises balcony vs. one YC inside stateroom, then that is a hard question. The YC experience is really over the top with awesome service from the crew and staff. From personal experience I would choose Yacht Club. However, if the balcony is really important to you maybe that should be your determining factor. I will give you food for thought. When we visited the pool deck area while in YC, it was not a consideration to find an open place, but it was more like - do i want to be 10 or 15 seats away from the closest person. The area is huge and so few people. Finding quiet time was very easy. This was in addition to all the butler service you receive. This is just food for thought.

:D

The YC inside prices have steadily crept up while the deluxe balcony prices have remained fairly steady. With the differences I've been seeing lately I would find it hard to book an inside. The HC inside shower and cabin size make it much more bearable than that tiny regular inside & bathroom. I would consider one of those HC cabins but probably not the standard YC inside until prices go back down.
We sailed YC balcony first of July and booked for July 19 while on the ship. Price was the same except I got $200 OBC this time instead of $150

YC inside has a very small shower, only the balconies have the shower with the bench so the HC shower would be bigger. My friend and I decided to upgrade from a Fantastica corner balcony to YC inside last April since we were leaving the husbands home and although we had the same concerns about not having an outdoor space we never regretted it, the experience was wonderful, so wonderful that we booked another YC inside on a future sailing with our husbands. I can honestly say we did not miss the balcony.

YC inside has a very small shower, only the balconies have the shower with the bench so the HC shower would be bigger. My friend and I decided to upgrade from a Fantastica corner balcony to YC inside last April since we were leaving the husbands home and although we had the same concerns about not having an outdoor space we never regretted it, the experience was wonderful, so wonderful that we booked another YC inside on a future sailing with our husbands. I can honestly say we did not miss the balcony.

Thank you for your first hand experience; that is great to know! As indicted, there is a choice right now of handicapped or "regular" inside YC cabin (due to the close proximity of the sailing the HC has opened up for booking). Decisions, decisions :confused:

When I booked a YC HC inside I was told I could be bumped as I was unwilling to falsely complete the forms stating I needed the HC cabin. I think it would be unlikely for you at this point since you say you are close to sailing, but just be aware of that possibility.

The three HC (I wish MSC would be PC and call them accessible!) interior rooms do have larger bathrooms, but do have a larger "living" area, with room for the larger TVs like in the balcony rooms. The regular interior rooms have less moving around space and have a smaller TV and sitting area. You may be subject to being reassigned if a person signs up with a true need for an accessible room.

Expect YC prices to keep going up. It’s a great product and still a fraction of the cost of a NCL Haven Suite.

We booked our October YC1 (Seaside) room for about $3,500 total plus we’re getting $250 OBC and the free internet package. Couldn’t pass that up! But now most of the prices I see are for over $4,000 for the same room.

...But now most of the prices I see are for over $4,000 for the same room.

I recently picked up a western Caribbean YC1 for next month for $3446 with $100 OBC. No TA, direct from MSC. The YC interior would have been about $2900 with $100 OBC, while I paid $2450 last year and that had $150 OBC and internet..

This is a no brainer, you are still working and if you could afford 2 YC vacations you would do it. But...you can't so enjoy 2 separate vacations while you are still working..

Seems clear choice....why give up a whole cruise and stay in inside? Of course, easy for me to say when Iam booked in YC. You have to balance all, even with inside you have lots of semi private places (serving you food and drinks all day). Our problem is we are having difficulty finding any cruises in YC within next 3 years. Please do not consider H cabin, its meant for those who need it!

Thank you for your first hand experience; that is great to know! As indicted, there is a choice right now of handicapped or "regular" inside YC cabin (due to the close proximity of the sailing the HC has opened up for booking). Decisions, decisions :confused:

I say GO FOR IT! Even more so if you can get the HC room. I must warn you though, once you go YC it will be hard to go back to non-YC :p:p:p:p

Hahahahah -- so true! We are both still working but now happily empty nesters. The youngest graduates college next weekend (only 1 semester "late" so that's better than a full 5th year). That should ease up the financial situation but then there is always the chance that one - or both - move back in :eek:

• 11 months later...
On 7/30/2018 at 4:32 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi Morgsmom,

I seriously doubt they will be making offers from Bella to YC. You might as well book it. You won’t be going back to Bella after your time in the YC so there goes your two cruises anyway.;)

This is very likely incorrect. In fact, there is incentive for lines to upgrade their lowest categories therefore making only low categories available for true last minute deal finders (think Florida resident, interline, and TA rates). 

Not to mention it’s about the bottom line. example: a Bella passenger agrees to pay $500 for a YC upgrade while an Aruara offers $400. The computer program will assign to the highest bidder regardless of initial cost. Bella “wins” the bid.

I have personal experience with only NCL

And RCL and each offered the upsell at approximately 45 days.

Best of luck to the OP!!