Disembarkation, Epic in Barcelona

gzmtlock

We have a 2 pm flight back to the US the day of disembarkation in Barcelona. It's been 8 years since I cruised the Med from Barcelona, and I don't recall any details about getting home. (Think I blocked that part out, because I wanted to stay!)

Should we self disembark? Hire a car service or take a taxi? My husband has mild travel anxiety, so we need to be at the airport the recommended 3 hours ahead. It's just he and I, with luggage we will be able to handle without too much trouble. The more I am able to plan ahead, the less anxiety he will have. So all info and advice is welcomed!

Take it easy. Use the color tags and let the porters take your bags off the ship for you. There is no customs or immigration checks in Barcelona. You'll walk off the ship, collect your bags, and keep moving straight out of the terminal. Lots of taxis available (remember to have Euros) and a quick trip to the airport. If you get there 3 hours early, there's lots of duty free shopping once you clear security and imaginations at the airport.

You literally have hours to spare.

Many people quite easily make flights from Barcelona for mid morning without having to rush particularly.

The Epic arrives very early in the morning, disembarkation starts very early, there are no customs/immigration checks, usually loads of taxis, and a quick drive to the airport on a Sunday morning.

The only thing that I would suggest is that you check what other ships are in port. It is rare, but if there are a lot of ships, especially large ones, in port at the same time then it can mean that the taxis get stretched a bit. This has happened to us just once in the 6 times we have disembarked in Barcelona. You would still easily make a 2pm flight, but may not help any anxiety.

Assuming there aren’t many ships in port then just stroll off when you want. If the port is busy then maybe leave a little earlier to be safe.

Just to summarise how much time you have, disembarkation starts about 8 hours before your flight (5 hours before you want to be there), and unless there are any hold ups it is easy to get from on the ship to the airport well within an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll make it with no difficulties whatsoever.

Last time i did Barcelona i strolled off around 9, gathered my bags, joined a long taxi queue that moved quickly, and was in the airport just after 10.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If you find yourself at the airport with heaps of time and you’re not flying business or first class, there are paid lounges you could use it if you have priority pass you can use their lounge. I’ll happily pass a few hours watching planes, having a drink and eating! :-)

Hi, If you are cruising this week, must be aware that here in Barcelona there is a massive Taxi strike so no Taxis available anywhere. You will have to book a private transfer or use the metro to get to the airport. Hopefully this situation will be solved soon...

Although a bit more expensive NCL run shuttles to the airport or at least they did last time we were on the Epic (2016). You will get to the airport in plenty of time. We were on the Spirit at the end of 2017 I had arranged a flight for 11 am we had to be at the airport by 9 we walked off at 7 had a private transfer already booked as there were 6 of us. We were at the airport by 8.

If your airline allows you to check in on line, then you don't have to be there 3 hours before, just have to leave enough time to take your luggage to the drop off.

I recently returned from a cruise on the Pearl out of Seattle. A service was offered to have your luggage taken directly to the Seattle airport and then loaded on the appropriate flights home. I believe that this service was actually provided by the Port of Seattle. Does anyone know if this type of service is available on the Epic out of Barcelona?

I recently returned from a cruise on the Pearl out of Seattle. A service was offered to have your luggage taken directly to the Seattle airport and then loaded on the appropriate flights home. I believe that this service was actually provided by the Port of Seattle. Does anyone know if this type of service is available on the Epic out of Barcelona?

This is the baggage service I found https://booking.touristactive.com/ba...rvice-id15144/

We have a 2 pm flight back to the US the day of disembarkation in Barcelona. It's been 8 years since I cruised the Med from Barcelona, and I don't recall any details about getting home. (Think I blocked that part out, because I wanted to stay!)

Should we self disembark? Hire a car service or take a taxi? My husband has mild travel anxiety, so we need to be at the airport the recommended 3 hours ahead. It's just he and I, with luggage we will be able to handle without too much trouble. The more I am able to plan ahead, the less anxiety he will have. So all info and advice is welcomed!

I’m taking the Epic from Barcelona as well. I have schedule a car for 9:30 just to go to the airport and check in ( our flight isn’t until 4pm). Figure get that part taken care of and then head back out for lunch and a little light sightseeing before our flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Take it easy. Use the color tags and let the porters take your bags off the ship for you. There is no customs or immigration checks in Barcelona. You'll walk off the ship, collect your bags, and keep moving straight out of the terminal. Lots of taxis available (remember to have Euros) and a quick trip to the airport. If you get there 3 hours early, there's lots of duty free shopping once you clear security and imaginations at the airport.

There's one Terminal that has nothing but an overpriced cafe once you pass security and immigration. Granted, we SAW the duty free shops through the glass windows below our level, but there was no way to access them.

This is super helpful! Researching our first Med cruise and also considering the Epic. Goodness all the little things. You guys are the best!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The disembarkation is Barcelona is super effective and fast.

But please, be very careful in the city.

My mother was on the Epic July 22-29. She went alone and had a flight back at 1:30 pm on disembarkation day. She had a cabin bag and a backpack only. The backpack she had on the front of her, so speak, so she could see it all the time.

Once in the city she was gonna pick up her phone from the backpack just to use the map. During those short second someone pushed her and stole all she got, except the phone in her hand.

Passport, cash, credit card, drivers license... Everything!

At the police station there were about 50 other people because of something similar.

The printed police report she could use for the subway to the airport. She obviously missed her flight.And after a lot of phone calls we found a hotel that accepted her cheking in without any ID as long as the room (and meals) was payed for online.

We also booked a new flight home for the next day (VERY expensive). And after many calls to the embassy she was allowed to board the flight home.

So, everything turned out well, after the circumstances. But if she had lost her phone...

And this was in the EU, and we also live in the EU. If not, I don't think it would have been possible.

So, be extremely carefull!

Have passports scanned in and send to friends/familys email. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

And by the way, she was on the Spirit in February, also from Barcelona. Then her wallet was stolen. And she didn't even notice it until she was going to airport bus. But she was lucky and had some cash in the purse. And the passport in the hotel.

It's a crazy world.

The disembarkation is Barcelona is super effective and fast.

But please, be very careful in the city.

My mother was on the Epic July 22-29. She went alone and had a flight back at 1:30 pm on disembarkation day. She had a cabin bag and a backpack only. The backpack she had on the front of her, so speak, so she could see it all the time.

Once in the city she was gonna pick up her phone from the backpack just to use the map. During those short second someone pushed her and stole all she got, except the phone in her hand.

Passport, cash, credit card, drivers license... Everything!

At the police station there were about 50 other people because of something similar.

The printed police report she could use for the subway to the airport. She obviously missed her flight.And after a lot of phone calls we found a hotel that accepted her cheking in without any ID as long as the room (and meals) was payed for online.

We also booked a new flight home for the next day (VERY expensive). And after many calls to the embassy she was allowed to board the flight home.

So, everything turned out well, after the circumstances. But if she had lost her phone...

And this was in the EU, and we also live in the EU. If not, I don't think it would have been possible.

So, be extremely carefull!

Have passports scanned in and send to friends/familys email. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

And by the way, she was on the Spirit in February, also from Barcelona. Then her wallet was stolen. And she didn't even notice it until she was going to airport bus. But she was lucky and had some cash in the purse. And the passport in the hotel.

It's a crazy world.

Your mother has been very unlucky to have been a victim twice. I have been in Barcelona multiple times, have many colleagues who have visited (lots of Barcelona fans around) and I only know of one who put her bag on the floor and had it stolen. She knew that she had been foolish.

I also know someone who had their purse stolen on the bus in London. I had my purse and credit card (but fortunately not my passport because we were about to board a ship) stolen by the taxi driver in Malaga.

All cities have their dangers. You have reminded me that it is sensible to have copies of passports available - and to keep credit cards in separate places. I don't think that I have followed that advice recently. I will next time. I have just thought that another piece of advice would be to keep a copy of family phone numbers in a place apart from your phone. Mine are all kept in my phone. If I lost it, I would have no idea about anyone's number. I can recall my grandfather's phone number from the 1960's but I do not know my husband's number because I never need to dial it - I just look for his name!

I’m taking the Epic from Barcelona as well. I have schedule a car for 9:30 just to go to the airport and check in ( our flight isn’t until 4pm). Figure get that part taken care of and then head back out for lunch and a little light sightseeing before our flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Check in can be done online You also won’t be able to check in bags until usually 4 hours prior to the flight. We’re you planning for lunch near the airport??

Thanks for the safety reminders, roxette and ollienbertsmum. This world is getting so crazy, it's not just the cities anymore. Just yesterday, at a gas station behind a church in the countryside, I had my credit card info ripped while it was out of its safety sleeve to be used at the pump. The credit card company called me 2-3 hours later about a strange charge; I had not made it. The card has been deactivated, and no harm was done to me or my account. Other than having to wait 7-10 days for a replacement card.

Amazing, the number of ways thieves are able to steal these days.

• 2 weeks later...