Do you like sailing the week of Christmas?

siestakeys04

That was also another option to go to Disney I know it will be very crowded.

Actually it depends on the day during that week. We found when Good Morning America broadcasted the parade Christmas Day it was packed but sometimes the day before or after was really good. I'm sure there are some statistics online to show which days are best.

We like to sail a week before the holiday. Flights aren't to bad and he amount of children on the boat is less because most schools haven't let out yet. This year we leave 12/15. Good luck.

There are pros and cons. I have yet to do it, but it is certainly something I intend to try. Sounds like a great experience. It's tough because I would miss a ton of family events, and work isn't thrilled with it.

Whenever conditions are right in the personal life, I plan to jump on it

Looking to try a new sailing time. DH would like to take off work during the week of Christmas and this is something we have to finalize this year because he has to put his request in at the end of the year for next year. How was it sailing during that week for you? Kids are not a problem because they are young adults 23/19.

No, too expensive and too many kids.

That was also another option to go to Disney I know it will be very crowded.

We did Disney last Christmas and though it appears we had lost our minds, we really thoroughly enjoyed it. Me and my sister, our husbands and teens had a great time, we drove from Houston to Orlando and back. Driving back was a nightmare because we didn’t want to leave but spending Christmas Day at universal was so fun. We have started new traditions that include /involve traveling somewhere else instead of staying local. We did a cruise on thanksgiving day also. I did not find the kids or crowds a bother , I knew what to expect.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did it once and LOVED it :D. I was still teaching and in need of a relaxing vacation. Our son was grown and planned to spend the day at his fiancee's home. We had a big holiday dinner with he and his fiancee the the night before we left - sending all the leftovers home with them.

Pre-cruise I mearly sent Christmas cards and put a wreath on the front door of the house. I made one double batch of our favorite Christmas cookies. That was it .... and a lovely break from all the annual holiday chores. I bought everyone in the family gift cards for their favorite shopping venues and sent them out in special cards/envelopes.

The ship was decorated beautifully. There were special Christmas events aboard. It was fantastic to walk into the special Christmas Eve and Christmas day meals - eat what we wanted - and walk away.... no shopping, cooking or clean-up. :D:D

Not sure I'd want to do it every year but it was a wonderfully relaxing time for me!!!!

This sounds wonderful and exactly what we did for thanksgiving day last year. We had thanksgiving the night before and cruised on the day. We had dinner in the steakhouse and spent black Friday sailing the high seas. Same for Christmas, although we are in Texas and quite often have T-shirt’s and shorts on for Christmas, it was so nice being in Orlando and at universal. We had Christmas Day dinner at margaritaville, but we had a big fried fish and shrimp dinner at our condo on Christmas Eve. Like you, it was a break from the monotony and we might not do it every year, but certainly can do it every other year. Or maybe have thanksgiving at home and alternate with Christmas away. Our daughter just got married and lives out of state so they have started to make their own traditions and we don’t insist they spend every holiday with us, just as long as we get some holidays.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We always said that we wouldn't do it because of the cost and the crowds, but then we did it, and are doing it again! My college aged son has an internship, and can get off that week. My high school son is always worried about missing school. He is an irish dancer that misses school for overseas competitions, and so he can't miss for vacation in addition to that. This is also his down time from competition and practice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Same feelings as others. Huge crowd. lot of kids, but not many brats.

Ship was lovely ( Sunshine), Food was a tad better ,but it is good all the time to me. Had big gingerbread house. Lots of fun Trivia,

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

My beloved husband of 45 years would have to chained and drug aboard.

We are going to do it for the first time this year. Our kids get 2 weeks this year for Christmas break (they get out 2 extra days this year at the front end because of teacher workday and then an extra day on the back end for the same reason). I am so tired of doing the same thing at Christmas year in and year out. We see the family that lives local 3 times once Christmas Eve, Christmas morning and Christmas dinner and then we are all back to our lives. We wanted a change and this is the year that the kids find out about Santa. I would prefer to take a vacation and make some memories with them. We still have presents from last year unopened and it happens every year. It doesn't matter if they've asked for it either. We were originally going to do Carnival but decided to switch lines/ships.

Pay more for that "premium" week, lots of kids, miss celebrating at home with the rest of the family? Higher airfare and more highway traffic? Not for this cruiser. I prefer earlier in December or later in January for better rates and less kids.

Those who post about their holiday cruises seem to love them though. Enjoy yours if you decide to go.

JMO, YMMV.

Best time , less scooter people. less dentures, and yes less

Millennials. Can't beat that:D

We used to cruise at Christmas but our last experience was awful. The ship was so crowded and it was evident in the dining room. Tables for 10 were made into tables for 12 with the addition of chairs that did not match the others. I prefer a bit more personal space. I just can't see paying extra. We have moved our cruise a few weeks into January and get a less crowded ship, fewer kids and a better price.

We have cruised Xmas 3 times all on carnival. The first 2 with our 3 mid teen high school age , it was their Xmas present, they loved it. The llast just us. Expensive week, yes. But wife has off work without using vacation time, so like an extra week of vacation for us. Have one booked for 2019 it works for us. If we were both retired we might change our opinion.

We love it! We’re teachers, so Christmas and summer are our only real options. We prefer Caribbean temperatures in December, so we’re currently booked on our 6th Christmas cruise in 6 years. We’ve been on a different cruise line for each and Carnival was probably our least favorite, because they did the least extra stuff for the holiday.

If you search around, you can find some good deals. We’re currently booked on MEC Divina for about $100 pp per day in a balcony with a basic drink package. Another year, we paid a little bit more for RCL. The best deal we saw was last minute prices on NCL of $600 pp for an 11 night Christmas and New Years sailing in an inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My two cents...for what it's worth....

Like many others who posted, I am a teacher. Christmas, Spring Break and summer are my travel options. I go into my vacation knowing there will be kids around if I am travelling.

We have cruised over New Year's twice. Had a fantastic time both times. Our son is 17 and he enjoyed being away. When he was younger, he had "two Christmases". We don't mind flying Christmas Eve or Christmas Day but that's because he is older.

Love travelling Christmas/New Year's week. Like others have said, something different.

Plus I secretly LOVE getting away from the rest of the family :);p;p:D