Sending bags to the airport after disembarking?

I'm sailing on The Dream out of New Orleans early next year and I'm trying to figure out my return flight after the cruise. My best option (stops, time between connections, etc) seems to be a flight that leaves New Orleans at 7 pm. I don't want to lug my bags all over the city for 8 hours so I'm wondering if there is a way to get my bags over to the airport at the time of disembarking? I'm thinking not just because of security but I'm hoping someone knows if there is a cruise port to airport bag option. My other alternative is going to be staying an extra day so I can fly out the next morning.

Thanks in advance!

I'm sailing on The Dream out of New Orleans early next year and I'm trying to figure out my return flight after the cruise. My best option (stops, time between connections, etc) seems to be a flight that leaves New Orleans at 7 pm. I don't want to lug my bags all over the city for 8 hours so I'm wondering if there is a way to get my bags over to the airport at the time of disembarking? I'm thinking not just because of security but I'm hoping someone knows if there is a cruise port to airport bag option. My other alternative is going to be staying an extra day so I can fly out the next morning.

Thanks in advance!

That service was stopped awhile ago.

We are doing the same thing. I think we will just end up at the airport early. I also saw someone mention that they checked with the hotel they were staying at the night before their cruise, and the hotel is allowing them to return for the afternoon and store their bags, and use the pool. We would prefer to just hang in the airport, although this reminded me that we won’t be allowed to check in bags until 4?hours prior to boarding. Better see what’s outside of security at the airport. As Alaskans, we spend a ton of extra time in airports every time we travel.

We are doing the same thing. I think we will just end up at the airport early. I also saw someone mention that they checked with the hotel they were staying at the night before their cruise, and the hotel is allowing them to return for the afternoon and store their bags, and use the pool. We would prefer to just hang in the airport, although this reminded me that we won’t be allowed to check in bags until 4?hours prior to boarding. Better see what’s outside of security at the airport. As Alaskans, we spend a ton of extra time in airports every time we travel.

I'm also from Alaska :) so we will have the same dilemma. If I could check my bags in at the airport right away I would just do that but airlines don't allow it. There are a couple multi-airline flights (American and Alaska Air) with two stops that leave in the earlier afternoon but it requires flying all over the place and there's a risk of getting stranded due to the short layover time.

I'm also from Alaska :) so we will have the same dilemma. If I could check my bags in at the airport right away I would just do that but airlines don't allow it. There are a couple multi-airline flights (American and Alaska Air) with two stops that leave in the earlier afternoon but it requires flying all over the place and there's a risk of getting stranded due to the short layover time.

Funny! We are probably on the same flight to SEA. I was hoping there is a USO there, but no luck. Ugh. I haven’t bought our return flights yet. The price is still outrageous.

Thanks in advance!

Have you thought about renting a car for the day ? We did that last year when we cruised out of Port Canaveral. We took the transfer to the airport and rented a car there, drove around and saw the sights. Then back to the airport for our flight home at 6.

Have you thought about renting a car for the day ? We did that last year when we cruised out of Port Canaveral. We took the transfer to the airport and rented a car there, drove around and saw the sights. Then back to the airport for our flight home at 6.

Actually you don't have to pay the cost of transfers from the ship. Just use the rental car shuttles at the port to take you to the rental locations. There is no return fee from port to airport in Florida.

Or if you didn't want to drive around in a rented car (parking is hard to come by in parts of New Orleans), you could always book a hotel room for the day, even though you don't plan to stay in it overnight. You could drop your bags with bellman in the morning after debarking, walk around and enjoy the French Quarter during the day, return to hotel after checkin time (3:00pm?), freshen up in room, then head on out to airport.

We just did it in May of this year. As you exit the terminal from customs, there is a window all the way to your right, they tagged the bags and we saw the city and then picked them up by baggage claim before our flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Or if you didn't want to drive around in a rented car (parking is hard to come by in parts of New Orleans), you could always book a hotel room for the day, even though you don't plan to stay in it overnight. You could drop your bags with bellman in the morning after debarking, walk around and enjoy the French Quarter during the day, return to hotel after checkin time (3:00pm?), freshen up in room, then head on out to airport.

some hotels use a day rate. you can get checked in and the room is ready for you- then you have to be checked out by 5

I am doing this option in February. it was about 90 bucks. google hotel day rates in NOLA

Actually you don't have to pay the cost of transfers from the ship. Just use the rental car shuttles at the port to take you to the rental locations. There is no return fee from port to airport in Florida.

This was in port Canaveral we already had our transfer it was included in our goportcanavaeral.com pkg

some hotels use a day rate. you can get checked in and the room is ready for you- then you have to be checked out by 5

I am doing this option in February. it was about 90 bucks. google hotel day rates in NOLA

Even better!

Even better!

I did that when I was flying to Greece years ago. I stopped in Frankfurt and had an 8 hour layover after an already long flight. I went to the hotel attached to the airport, got a room, and took a long nap and shower. It was expensive but so much better than trying to occupy myself in the airport (or getting lost by myself in Germany).