1st Time Alaska Bound

OhioMike2016

Have cruise before but only with RCI and in the Caribbean. I now would like to do an Alaska trip. Before reading all of the massage boards to seek the answer as to best cruise ship (I am pretty sure it is on here someplace), I thought I would just ask here first.

What is the best cruise ship for a first time cruiser to Alaska AND what are the things I want and should be looking for from a cruise ship going to Alaska?

I do not have many requirements (i.e. starting port, cost, length of time, etc.), expect that the cruise includes Glacier Bay.

Thanks in advance for your time and answers to this simply question.

I recommend NCL northbound from Vancouver to Seward that includes Glacier Bay & Hubbard Glacier. After disembarking in Seward rent a car in Anchorage & do a DIY land tour that includes Denali.

Thank you for the recommendation. Any others?

Are you looking at RT from Seattle or Vancouver ? a one-way Northbound or Southbound? If one-way are you planning land travel ? Kids need a covered pool and/kids club?

I suggest you read thru past trip reports posted near the top of this page. Lots of first hand experiences with info about the ship, activities, excursions, etc. Some are detailed photo journals with photos of practically every meal ! You'll see that most of the major lines are more similar than different.

Port times are very important .... make sure you're in port long enough and at the right time of day for planned activities. ie lots of whining on this forum about the 7am-1pm Ketchikan stop.

When to go ? if you want a bear viewing excursion, there are peak periods of time at various locations that you need to research. IF you want to see lots of snow in the mtns go earlier in the summer. Weather is generally drier earlier in the summer.

Since you;re just starting your research I also suggest you visit the library and pick up a few Alaska travel books to learn about each port. There are even books specific to Alaska cruises .... Ann Vipond has Alaska by cruiseship and Fodor has Alaska Ports of Call.

Have fun with your research and planning !

Defiantly sail out of Vancouver for the complete Inside Passage experience. Glacier Bay and or Hudderd Glacier should also be on your list. Holland America and Princess are good choices. I would look for a cruise a little longer than 7 days. Clothing is quite different than a Carib cruise. Layering is the thing to do. The weather is unpredictable from hour to hour. We went to AK. last September and the weather was overcast and rainy most of the cruise. Temps in the mid 40s to low 50s. There are many Alaska clothing checklists on the internet. They will give you a good idea of what you will need to wear.

Best is subjective. Look for Glacier Bay or Hubbard. When I think Alaska I think glaciers. Do you want to see bears? Check into what month is the best, usually when the salmon run....Ketchikan is a good port for this.

Do you want a smaller ship, check out HAL R/T from Vancouver. Stay away from R/T Seattle. Doesn't go "inside" the inside passage, but open sea for a while. I suggest picking an itinerary that will let you do a small boat excursion up Tracy Arm. Pick later in the season for that, less chance of ice.

I also recommend Frommer's Alaska Cruises & Ports of Call book. It was very helpful for me planning our trip. Also, no fancy dressing up for the gala/formal night dinners like the old days.... if you don't want to. You can get by with a collared shirt/pants for men and pants/fancier top or dress for the lady. Yippy....don't have to buy my hubby a new sport coat.

Have cruise before but only with RCI and in the Caribbean. I now would like to do an Alaska trip. Before reading all of the massage boards to seek the answer as to best cruise ship (I am pretty sure it is on here someplace), I thought I would just ask here first.

What is the best cruise ship for a first time cruiser to Alaska AND what are the things I want and should be looking for from a cruise ship going to Alaska?

I do not have many requirements (i.e. starting port, cost, length of time, etc.), expect that the cruise includes Glacier Bay.

Thanks in advance for your time and answers to this simply question.

To many, including me, Alaska is more about the ports and excursions than the particular ship or cruise line. As others have said, start with researching the main ports and find things that interest you in those ports. At that point, find the itineraries that spend the most time in those ports and narrow those down to a particular ship or line, if you have a preference.

There is lots of good information here. Read the Trip Reports at the top of this section as a good starting point. Whatever you choose, you will enjoy it. Alaska is an amazing place.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did a "live from" on both the Island Princess northbound and Golden Princess southbound in May and June of this year. I have each day's posted on my blog...here is May's. I also have links to several of our other cruises to Alaska (15 in total). It might be helpful to take a look around there and see what Alaska - and Princess Cruises - have going for them.

Alaska is amazing. We just can't get enough!

My first Alaska cruise was a year ago and it was also my first cruise on RCI. I have cruised the Carribean many times of NCL We did a Thanksgiving Caribbean trip on the Allure and now we are headed back to Alaska on Holland in a few weeks.

I agree that on an Alaskan cruise Alaska is the main attraction and you will likely be pleased with any lone you go on. Plus if you like RCI another RCI cruise will add loyalty points. Our Alaskan cruise with RCI was fine. There are other factors to consider. We chose HAL's Eurodam because it has a closeable roof over one of it's pool areas. Our cruise is the first week of September this time. HAL also has blankets available for deck sitting, RCI did not.

If you like big ships, NCL's new Bliss looks like it would be fun for families and has some features especially for Alaska.

Have fun!