Aft Cabins.. how do I win the battle? and Alaska 2020

Diggerof4

Future plans, Carnival Spirit, Alaska 2020. Would like to splurge on a Aft cabin or something similar. 1). Any suggestions on how to be the lucky one to score an Aft Cabin? 2). If not Aft, what would be the next one on your list (1,2,3rd..etc).

3) It is rumored (read on CC and FB) that the Alaska itinerary will be out in Sept. Anyone else heard the same thing?

4) We are planning to sail in June (heard that was the best month), hope that is true. Aug would be cheaper-but colder.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me. Happy Cruising !

I can't address your questions specific to Alaska, but to get a cabin in the category you want, book as soon as possible after the itinerary is released.

Personally I have avoided Early Saver rate for the last several years since the restrictions are so great.

Past Guest rate is working well for me. As a rule about $20.00 more per person, but changes can be made and price reductions will be matched, in your exact category, until final payment date.

Book early and you will not only get what you want, you will probably see only price increases for your cabin type.

Happy sailing.

We actually did mid-ship cabins across the ship from each other--my mom's cabin along with ours on port side, and my brother and his wife on the starboard side. It worked perfectly--we literally went from side to side. It worked perfectly for us!

Future plans, Carnival Spirit, Alaska 2020. Would like to splurge on a Aft cabin or something similar. 1). Any suggestions on how to be the lucky one to score an Aft Cabin? 2). If not Aft, what would be the next one on your list (1,2,3rd..etc).

3) It is rumored (read on CC and FB) that the Alaska itinerary will be out in Sept. Anyone else heard the same thing?

4) We are planning to sail in June (heard that was the best month), hope that is true. Aug would be cheaper-but colder.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me. Happy Cruising !

Hi

We had a balcony for our trip to Alaska, and while it was nice to have I wouldn't worry too much about where it was.

You want to be up on the decks. Unless I was changing and something caught my eye, I wouldn't be out on the balcony. If there was something to see, you really want to see it from an upper deck. If there was an issue with mobility, or if you can't stand or walk much, then I could see just sitting on a balcony, but you would miss so much.

hope this helps

I live in Juneau. I can’t speak to the cabin locations, but I will say that May and June are early summer. July and August are best. September is rainy. So is May. Don’t listen to anyone who cruised this summer about weather. Hahaha. It has been a record heat summer and has been amazing. NOT typical. Get good rain gear and bring your sense of adventure!

• Thanks 1

I live in Juneau. I can’t speak to the cabin locations, but I will say that May and June are early summer. July and August are best. September is rainy. So is May. Don’t listen to anyone who cruised this summer about weather. Hahaha. It has been a record heat summer and has been amazing. NOT typical. Get good rain gear and bring your sense of adventure!

Depending on which month is the best for whale watching, you may have just changed my mind. Cold doesn't bother me (Yep, I am singing...;p ) I live in Minnesota, About weather, no kidding! There has been a couple of days I wore sweat pants in JULY!! 2 days later I am begging my DH for my own personal AC next to my bed. Any other advice on wild life you can give to us would be spectacular. You know, all the "w" questions. When, where, who.... :)

It has been years since our Alaska cruise, but I remember one of our guides gave me a jolt with his response to my question—“Wow, ALL of the wildflowers are blooming right now—why?”

His response—“well, this is July. It is summer. It has snowed here in every other month!”

:D:D:D

My only cruise on carnival was to alaska with 19 family members on the spirit....we decided last minute to go and were put on a wait list...svlcored an aft cabin and had no idea how it would enhance the trip...180 degree view....land on both sides...gorgeous glacier water wake... We went in early august and had perfect warm and sunny weather...i would do my best to get an aft...also bigger than the side balconies the rest of the family had...since then most of them only book afts....as do we....have a great trip...

I really haven't has a problem booking an Aft Balcony for Alaska. We went in 2015 and booked less than 6 month before and had several still available. We are going again in 2019 and have two next to each other.

Now about the aft balcony in Alaska, its the best decision you can make. I like the aft in general, but found in Caribbean they can be hotter than the usual balcony, but in Alaska this is a huge advantage. For the most part the ship blocks most the wind so for us it was very conferrable(I had on shorts everyday). In contrast, while in Fjord I did venture to one the front observation deck(in my shorts) and froze my butt off so the difference is night and day. On top of that your view is not limited just one side of the ship. When we transversed the Tracy Arm Fjord we got to see everything twice(once going in and again coming back).

Now, the one negative about the aft balcony is its a low pressure area. This means if anyone and I mean anyone in a normal balcony is not following the rules and smoking you are likely to smell it from time to time. You also may see some soot from the ships exhaust collect on things.