Are MDR dinner menus standard fleetwide or specific to a particular cruise?

farjar

We like certain entrees served in the MDRs like Steak Diane or whole roasted prime rib. Are all the NCL ships serving the same menu on the same day or is there a "Day 1 of cruise menu" specific for the ship you're on? I seem to recall prime rib being served on a "sea day" associated with the optional formal evening, for example. It would be helpful to know before booking our specialty restaurants what will be available in the complimentary dining rooms. Is there a link to see the menus prior to sailing?

The menus are fleet wide, although occasionally you may find some ships are using older menus, such as when new menus are being rolled out (which can take many months to reach the whole fleet).

There are about 14 menus in total.

Having said that, there are no menus for specific days, even on the same ship and itinerary. For example, if you were to do the exact same itinerary back to back you are may not have the same menus on the same day on both those cruises.

We were told on a behind the scenes tour that they often use decide the menus based on the demographic. For example, some menus are popular with people from different countries, others if there are lots of kids aboard etc. I don’t know how true that is though.

There may be some specific menus that are often used on specific nights (for example Norwegian Night Out), but I wouldn’t even rely on that.

What seems to have changed in the last few years is that unlike any other cruise line that we know of, NCL had prohibited allowing serving food from crew's galley. Those tend to be more authentic . No explanation was given for this unfortunate move.

What seems to have changed in the last few years is that unlike any other cruise line that we know of, NCL had prohibited allowing serving food from crew's galley. Those tend to be more authentic . No explanation was given for this unfortunate move.

Not if you have a butler.

We like certain entrees served in the MDRs like Steak Diane or whole roasted prime rib. Are all the NCL ships serving the same menu on the same day or is there a "Day 1 of cruise menu" specific for the ship you're on? I seem to recall prime rib being served on a "sea day" associated with the optional formal evening, for example. It would be helpful to know before booking our specialty restaurants what will be available in the complimentary dining rooms. Is there a link to see the menus prior to sailing?

Menus are NOT fleetwide.

Menus are regional. So ships in the Caribbean will have similar menus. Ships in Alaska have similar menus.

NCL uses 14 different menus for the MDR. The menus for each cruise are selected by the executive chef. Menu selection is done several weeks in advance and provisioning orders are made.

The menus for the week are posted in the galley https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56221011&postcount=79

At each meal, descriptions of each dish and allergens are posted. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56221056&postcount=81

Others will have more info than I do, but I know that there is a 14 - or a 21 - day series of menus in rotation, so this week's first day menu won't be the same as next week's first day menu.

Not necessarily. On the Epic for 3 weeks this past January and menu was the same all 3 weeks. Last year was on Epic for 2 weeks and it was the same both weeks.