Booking through RCCL vs agent

What are the pros and cons? I'm sorry if this question is beating a dead horse, but I havent cruised in a long time and am booking a cruise for January 2019. The online TA we are looking at has the same price, but has the amazon or onboard credit perk. That's it. Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance!

What are the pros and cons? I'm sorry if this question is beating a dead horse, but I havent cruised in a long time and am booking a cruise for January 2019. The online TA we are looking at has the same price, but has the amazon or onboard credit perk. That's it. Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance!

NO, find a new TA. We use a large online TA and usually pick up pre paid gratuities, a specialty dinner and a small OBC. If we find a price reduction in our cabin price it is just a quick call to be repriced. Only downside to getting price reductions is the sales are sometimes over the weekend and the TA site is closed, and on Monday things are over.

NO, find a new TA. We use a large online TA and usually pick up pre paid gratuities, a specialty dinner and a small OBC. If we find a price reduction in our cabin price it is just a quick call to be repriced. Only downside to getting price reductions is the sales are sometimes over the weekend and the TA site is closed, and on Monday things are over.

It depends on the cost of the cruise you book.

I booked a cruise for next June on Harmony. The price for 2 in a balcony was $4500 on Royal Caribbean’s website. TA got it for $2800 and included $175 OBC and free specialty dining. Sometimes TAs can give you a substantial savings if you check around. There’s a cruise “compete” site where TAs compete to win your business. I’m sure if you google it, you should be able to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is there a list of online TAs people use? Im not finding any other perks on the big names that I can think of. We are booking a Grand Suite so it's a bigger cost, but cant seem to find any good perks!!

It is against the rules of this website to mention specific TA names or post links to TA sites.

We do both. I prefer being in control of my bookings but if a TA can do better, I'll give up the control. Price and perks may depend on other circumstances. We've sailed a couple of times with our son and his family recently and on our last cruise together we both booked junior suites. We booked with an on-line TA for an incredibly lower price than RCI's price. He has a 3 year-old and booked direct at a significantly lower price than our TA. Bottom line is you need to shop.

Thanks for the info, Amanda! I figured it out..

No problem. When I did it, I had around 9 quotes. All with different pricing and perks. Just make sure you do research. Some of them will charge fees for everything as well as a fee to cancel. One of them had a $25 fee per price drop! Make sure you ask about fees before booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We ONLY use our TA. We happened to find a great one some 20+ cruises ago. He is immediately responsive, no matter the time of day or the silliness of our questions. When there is a price drop, he most often finds it before us, and acts on it immediately. We have full confidence that we are getting the best price with the best TA.

We used to get all 3 mentioned, but in the past few years they have dimished considerably.

For our cruise next year, the deal was so good my usual go to TA could only offer a 50$ OBC. On this Sept. Liberty we got 10 times that amount for the Presidential Family Suite. So Cruisinfanatic is right, it really depends on the price you booked at and the TA.

We still transfer to the TA on most cruises, although managing your booking can be somewhat aggrevating. But I usually book it and then wait a while to transfer (you have 60 days to transfer <no limit some years back)