New to NCL Questions

lovetotraveltx

This may be repeats and seem silly, but please be kind. We've cruised many times but not on NCL. We are on the Breakaway in December.

Are there any formal nights or themed nights on NCL? Waiters do anything special...

I know it's a relaxed dining cruise line, so what do you all wear for dinner? Do people change?

Can you show up at a show without a ticket, or need to reserve all shows?

Will there be a party or parties on New Year's Eve and/or a special dinner? If so, need a reservation for this?

Are the hot dog stands just because the breakaway was in NY, or always there?

Are there still late night buffets or dessert buffets on NCL?

Where do you recommend eating when you board?

Is bingo played often and is it expensive?

Anything must we must do/see/eat/drink on this ship.

If we listed a birthday, do they bring a cake or something?

Thank you!

We were just in the breakaway in Europe:

Are there any formal nights or themed nights on NCL? Waiters do anything special...

>>there is a Dress up or not Night. A lot of people got dressed up for photo shoots. We didn’t

I know it's a relaxed dining cruise line, so what do you all wear for dinner? Do people change?

>>we just wore what we were wearing (though we were not in the Caribbean, so 8 was wearing slightly more urban clothes

>> I think you can, though wise to reserve if you reall6 want to go

>>not when we went. On the star 8 yrs ago they had a chocolate night but they may have done away with that

>>we are at the buffet

>>seems to be constant, i don’t know the cost

>we enjoyed how, at the mood. For food the sushi bar is good, Teppanyaki was fun

We listed an anniversary but never got anything

We were just in the breakaway in Europe:

Thank you!

>>there is a Dress up or not Night. A lot of people got dressed up for photo shoots. We didn’t

>>we just wore what we were wearing (though we were not in the Caribbean, so 8 was wearing slightly more urban clothes

>> I think you can, though wise to reserve if you reall6 want to go

>>not when we went. On the star 8 yrs ago they had a chocolate night but they may have done away with that

>>we are at the buffet

>>seems to be constant, i don’t know the cost

>we enjoyed how, at the mood. For food the sushi bar is good, Teppanyaki was fun

We listed an anniversary but never got anything

Thank you!

NCL embraces "dress up or not". On the Breakaway, shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals, except the Le Bistro and Ocean Blue restaurants where long pants (jeans, dockers) are required. Photographers our out on nights 2-6 taking photos, so you can get a bit dressed up if you want (and most people do). But, leave the gowns and tuxes (even suits and ties) at home.

Casual clothes. Jeans and a polo shirt. Some get a bit more dressed up. You can carry your New Years party clothes for a special night.

Shows that have reservations are the two main shows, Rock of Ages, and Burn the Floor. Those shows you can reserve 120 days prior to your departure along with any specialty dining reservations. (that's on or about September 1st). Also, you can book the Cirque dinner show (extra cost) at the 120 day mark. Make dinner and show reservations ASAP.

Once onboard, on embarkation day, you can reserve one comedy show using one of the touch screen kiosks near public elevators.

Most other entertainment are first-come-first serve.

Will there be a party or parties on New Year's Eve and/or a special dinner? If so, need a reservation for this?

There will be NYE activities on the ship. Dinner reservations at specialty restaurants will be hard to get, so book those on 9/1/18.

Kinda a New York thing. Don't know if they disappeared after the recent dry dock. You can always get hot dogs at the buffet.

There are late night snacks at the buffet. O'Shehans is open 24/7 for food.

The main dining room is perfectly fine. You don't have to pay a penny more.

If you want to drop some cash, the Cirque dinner show is fun! The most popular restaurants are Cagney's steakhouse and Teppanyaki (both will sell out). Ocean Blue is the most exclusive and will sell out for NYE quickly.

Frequently. Expensive. Very popular.

Rock of Ages and Burn the floor in the theater. Howl at the Moon (dueling pianos is fun - first come first serve). Escape the Big Top escape room is also fun if you are good a puzzles.

The waiters will come sing to you at dinner. If you want decorations and a cake in your room, that is available for an extra fee. Some photos of the Breakaway, Menus, example of daily programs can be found at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2504449

Thank you!

Have Fun!

Bird Travel - Very helpful...thanks!

I cruised on the Getaway on April and going back again 9/2. I didn't think I would be comfortable going to the dining rooms in shorts, but it wasn't too bad! I may even be able to pack for a week in just one carry on and one duffle!

I would like to preface this by saying I haven't been on this ship specifically, but will answer some of your questions as they apply generally across all of the NCL fleet! And I just love talking about cruises....

This may be repeats and seem silly, but please be kind. We've cruised many times but not on NCL. We are on the Breakaway in December.

They have Dress Up Or Not night, so, dress up, or not!! Really, no one cares if you want to dress to the nines or want to wear flip-flops and a tank top. That's the beauty of NCL!

We mainly eat in the MDR's. For the most part, people do not get dressed up. Personally I take one “sparkly” dress and wear it a couple of times if I feel like being “fancy”. The other nights I may wear shorts and a blouse, or a comfortable summer dress (emphasis on COMFORTABLE) Honestly, most people are wearing shorts, capris, blouses or t-shirts. My husband wears khaki shorts and Hawaiian shirts every day/evening. (He has a different shirt for every day of the cruise!) He brings one pair of “dinner pants” in case we decide to eat in the MDR that requires pants. He takes them off immediately after dinner! (In the cabin of course;);)!)

Larger ships like this you may want to make a reservation for the shows (I did on the Epic), on the smaller ships (like the Dawn), no. If you do not make a reservation you will be put on stand-by. I have read on the threads that it seems everyone in stand-by still gets in. I'm sure there have been exceptions, but the general consensus is you will still able to see the show. So if you forget to make a reservation, don't panic!

You can always find Late Night Snacks somewhere on the ship, just look at your Dailies for locations and times. Also O'Sheehans is open 24 hours. May I suggest the wings.....

We like to hit the buffet and take our plate out to the deck (weather permitting) for people watching! It really sets the mood for cruising! Don't forget to grab a tropical drink!

I have only played once, but it does seem very popular! "Expensive" is subjective really. Considering I play bingo at my local bar every Wednesday for free, yes it's too "expensive" for me, lol! I think when I played it was around $40 for 3 cards? (I could be off) It's all about entertainment value. There are always a lot of people playing though! You can check out the prices before the game, so you can decide if it's worth it to you.

You may be asked by your server if you are celebrating anything special at dinner, if not, just tell them! You will get a song and a yummy cake. You can have the cake sent to your cabin if you are too full to eat it. I had my anniversary cake sent to my cabin because we had already eaten dessert. Let me tell ya, that cake made a delicious breakfast the next morning as I shoved several spoonfuls in my face before sprinting down for an early tender to the beach!!

Thank you!

I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise and I hope your experience with NCL is a positive one!

Have fun on your cruise and it would be cool to hear how you liked it compared to the other lines. I love NCL and freestyle dining. It's pretty much the only line I sail on now :). Although I would sail on others, but NCL is my preferred line

This may be repeats and seem silly, but please be kind. We've cruised many times but not on NCL. We are on the Breakaway in December

Thank you!

Many who go to specialty restuarants or one of the 3 dining rooms do change. Many wear shorts and T-shirts.

You can show up to reserved shows without reservations. About 10-15 minutes before show time they let you sit.. earlier if they know it is not sold out.

Don't know about New Year's eve.

Breakway was built to be homed in NYC and themed that way from the start. Hot Dogs have always been there!

No late buffet last 3 years on Breakway. The dinner buffet maintains dessert items until around 11:00.

Where to eat when you board? Personal preference. Some head to the buffet, some to Taste and Savor, and some to O'Sheehans.

Bingo was not run all that often... they had several games going and I found them pricey. Like $8-20 per game per person.

Special occaision - they brought a cake on my daughter's birthday and we are told for our anniversary there will be a certificate for a cake in our room when we board to use at a restaurant.

Must dos... saved for last. I do love how much variety the Breakaway has. Although they cost extra, gelato, bake shop and specialty coffee are available. At extra cost, or booking perks, are the specialty restaurants. I really enjoy the food and service at Le Bistro, Ocean Blue and Moderno. Entertainment is awesome. I love Broadway musicals so Rock of Ages is a real treat and I go to all 4 shows. Other shows are typical cruise fare. Howl at the Moon is a great evening venue for families until 10 and adults/teens after. New, but promising, is Syd's Pour House also for evening music. They had a terrific reggae pool band last December too. Anyone adventures should try the ropes course and rock wall. You have the active pool area or the quieter Spice H2O adult area by day or Vibe club (extra charge.) And the parties on Spice H2O almost every night are a lot of fun!