Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

1. My best mates and I played a game of hide and seek. It went on for hours... Well, good friends are hard to find. 

2. You’re not completely useless, you can always serve as a bad example.

😊

3. I broke my finger last week.
On the other hand, I’m okay.

4. Someone stole my Microsoft Office and they’re gonna pay.
You have my Word.

5. Don't spell part backwards.
It's a trap. 
😂

6. And the Lord said unto John, “Come forth and you will receive eternal life.”
But John came fifth, and he got hell. 
🤩

7. What is the best thing about living in Switzerland? 
Well, the flag is a big plus 
🇨🇭

8. Did you hear about the guy who got hit in the head with a can of soda? 
He was lucky it was a soft drink. 
😝

9. How did I escape Iraq? 
Iran..... 
🏃🏻

10. To the mathematician who thought of the idea of zero..... 
'Thanks for nothing!' 
🙂

11. Son: "Dad, can you tell me what a solar eclipse is?"
Dad: "No sun." 

12 My math teacher called me average...
How mean! 
🤨

13 Clinic Receptionist: “Doctor, there's a patient on line that says he's become invisible". 
Doctor: “Well, tell him I can't see him right now."

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, zqtchas said:

plumber -k.png

I sent you a laughing emoji but I also wanted to include 🤢this one. 

Enjoying a staycation here in one of our Perth resorts for a few days since we can't go anywhere else for now. When people ask what we are celebrating I say it's " we survived our son getting his final year engineering thesis in on time celebration".🤣

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

I sent you a laughing emoji but I also wanted to include 🤢this one. 

Enjoying a staycation here in one of our Perth resorts for a few days since we can't go anywhere else for now. When people ask what we are celebrating I say it's " we survived our son getting his final year engineering thesis in on time celebration".🤣

As a parent who used threats to get her children to fulfill requirements for graduation at various levels I understand your celebratory attitude and I congratulate your son! 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

In case there any dough nuts interested …. today was mankoushe  with some rustic red for lunch …. and #1 wife has declared this as her preferred instead of pizza.  I’m so happy I married a peasant like me ..

🙂

F7036061-EB0F-450C-BFA8-7F891FF00AB3.jpeg

51E453CE-495C-48D8-B084-E8FF12DB3B60.jpeg

That looks delicious!  Is the dough similar to your pizza dough or are there nuances?

21 minutes ago, mysty said:

That looks delicious!  Is the dough similar to your pizza dough or are there nuances?

To be honest I have been moving on a little with the dough.  But being lazy by nature, whilst I always experiment, I only ever change what I do if I think the effort is rewarded with significant improvement and the changes I've made needn't cloud anyone's initial learnings as they get to grip with basic stuff.

When I make my daily mix whether it's a mix for baguettes or pizza (the only real difference being the flour I choose) then I make around 200gms extra of extra dough and just before I prep the bread for the oven I pull off the 200gms knock it back and put it into an oiled box for the fridge.  That's what French baguette makes call poolish  for their baguettes and the Italians call biga for their pizza the only difference being the degree of hydration.  But as I'm using as a starting point 80&+ then I guess I'm somewhere between the two.  I then incorporate that mix into the next dough and repeat the removal of the poolish/biga for the next batch.  It realy is no effort.  My interest in trying this path was because I'd realised for some time that I'd been sucked into the sourdough craze but on thinking about it I realize I like the idea of it more than the actual taste. And sourdough disproportionately can take over your life.  What I realised I prefered is what I call sourdough lite.  This is what the slow ferment gives and is improved with biga/poolish.

I also only use Caputo 00 pizza flour for pizza and in case of confusion there are two types.  In simple terms the red pack is for instantly fermented dough and the blue bags are for longer ferments.  I always use the blue.  I also now add a little sugar to the mix.

I only say all this because you asked and half an answer is worst than none but really you will get 90% of this by doing what you normally do, but when you have to try everythinh like an idiot like me you end up playing around.

Ask if you have any questions.  Sorry for any typos.

🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeff made his gorgeous pizzas and coincidentally I was making pizza dough yesterday. He has been so helpful and I now really understand hydration, especially where I live in such a very dry climate. I did not want to post anything until tonight when we enjoyed them for dinner. This was the best pizza crust I have ever made and still a work in progress. Lots of time and hydration are the key.

Ours this evening was topped with pesto sauce, onion, and asiago cheese. A fresh salad and wine, of course.

I did not realize I could come here and Jeff/tutor is so willing to help teach us the finest of cooking techniques. Thanks so much.

5B168EA6-F81A-40F2-9416-9D52DD63FA43.jpeg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Jeff made his gorgeous pizzas and coincidentally I was making pizza dough yesterday. He has been so helpful and I now really understand hydration, especially where I live in such a very dry climate. I did not want to post anything until tonight when we enjoyed them for dinner. This was the best pizza crust I have ever made and still a work in progress. Lots of time and hydration are the key.

Ours this evening was topped with pesto sauce, onion, and asiago cheese. A fresh salad and wine, of course.

I did not realize I could come here and Jeff/tutor is so willing to help teach us the finest of cooking techniques. Thanks so much.

5B168EA6-F81A-40F2-9416-9D52DD63FA43.jpeg

Thanks for the kind words.  That does look stunning.  If you do like it a little thinner ignore all that handling and tossing palaver and simply use a rolling pin. You can see that when cut open the crust will have a great crumb and I love that with the topping you clearly understand that less is more.

That is a fragrant pizza.  🙂

Jeff

• Like 1

Okay, question for Coolers.   Tomorrow is my birthday (hold your applause because this is not the reason for this post).  I will be 69.  I detest that number!  Did anyone else who has been that age have the same reaction?   It isn't logical and yet it is my reaction.  I have decided to self-identify as 70.  I will enjoy 2 years as 70.  Of course legally I will be considered the nasty number but my psyche will be much happier by considering myself to be in my 70th year. 😁

Edited by mysty

A lot of people spend their childhood wishing they were an adult, then spend adulthood wishing they were a child!  They say youth is wasted on the young.  Me personally, who am also 69, I wish the damn clock would slow down just a little!  I seem to recall days as a kid that would last for years!  On the bright side, I'm looking forward to starting to draw my full-pop Social Security when I turn 70.  I don't know when I'll cross the River Styx, but I try to enjoy every day I have left on this beautiful earth as much as I can.  And I don't take for granted that I have good health and a loving spouse and children, and 3 squares a day, a roof over my head, and a bottle of grape squeezings at the end of the day.  I'm certainly not in a rush to turn the odometer ahead, let me tell you.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

A lot of people spend their childhood wishing they were an adult, then spend adulthood wishing they were a child!  They say youth is wasted on the young.  Me personally, who am also 69, I wish the damn clock would slow down just a little!  I seem to recall days as a kid that would last for years!  On the bright side, I'm looking forward to starting to draw my full-pop Social Security when I turn 70.  I don't know when I'll cross the River Styx, but I try to enjoy every day I have left on this beautiful earth as much as I can.  And I don't take for granted that I have good health and a loving spouse and children, and 3 squares a day, a roof over my head, and a bottle of grape squeezings at the end of the day.  I'm certainly not in a rush to turn the odometer ahead, let me tell you.  

Not the real odometer though WWFT.  Just my mental one.   And to be fair,  my mental one spends most of its time thinking that I'm still in my 20s.  Obviously my body begs to differ! 😁

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mysty said:

.I have decided to self-identify as 70.  I will enjoy 2 years as 70.  Of course legally I will be considered the nasty number but my psyche will be much happier by considering myself to be in my 70th year. 😁

When you celebrate your tenth birthday, Mysty, it means you have been alive for ten years.  The next day, you are in your eleventh year.  Same applies when you have the “nasty number” birthday.  Luckily, the next day you are officially in your 70th year.  So, you will not be deceiving anyone by skipping over the “nasty number”, just be precise in stating your age as ‘in my 70th year’.  Tomorrow, have a grand celebration of the start of  that 70th year.

Frank

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, HHIslander said:

When you celebrate your tenth birthday, Mysty, it means you have been alive for ten years.  The next day, you are in your eleventh year.  Same applies when you have the “nasty number” birthday.  Luckily, the next day you are officially in your 70th year.  So, you will not be deceiving anyone by skipping over the “nasty number”, just be precise in stating your age as ‘in my 70th year’.  Tomorrow, have a grand celebration of the start of  that 70th year.

Frank

Thank you Frank! 🥰  I will take your validation as my certificate to consider myself in my 70th year.  Now kindly do not speak up next year to remind me that I will then be in my 71st year. 🤣

• Haha 2