Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Good morning coolers!

Very quiet here today..so far…maybe our UK contingent are having a lie in or are glued to the olympics…

Not a good morning for me as I’ve just paid my tax bill…it really hurts and with the news that us old trouts won’t be getting our winter fuel payment doubles the pain 🫣

However, tis good to be alive on this beautiful Tuesday is it not 😊

• Like 5

Good Afternoon Coolers,

A light summer lunch of trout steamed with some lovely olive oil and butter with a Charlotte potato salad and Laurent Perrier Rosé.

And lovely leisurely chattery with my adorable extraordinary wife …..

Jeff

IMG_6616.jpeg

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Lirio said:

Simone Biles e Rebeca Andrade se enfrentam em cinco finais da ginástica artística nas Olimpíadas de Paris 2024. Foto: Charlie Riedel/AP e Loic Venance/AFP

Simone and Rebeca. These girls!!! I love them!

Lirio, I only know about Brazil from Brazilians.  

It is better to only love one girl at a time!  ‘Er indoors.

(but I share your joy! 😀)

Jeff

I read an interesting and entertaining book last year related to wine and wine tasting.  Wine aficionados (formerly known as winos 😁) might enjoy it.

Cork Dork
A Wine-Fueled Adventure Among the Obsessive Sommeliers, Big Bottle Hunters, and Rogue Scientists Who Taught Me to Live for Taste

By Bianca Bosker

Capture.JPG.0f7492133ab25f8611d1228b178f81aa.JPG

From Penguin Random House:

About Cork Dork
INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER AND A NEW YORK TIMES CRITICS’ PICK

“Thrilling . . . [told] with gonzo élan . . . When the sommelier and blogger Madeline Puckette writes that this book is the Kitchen Confidential of the wine world, she’s not wrong, though Bill Buford’s Heat is probably a shade closer.” —Jennifer Senior, The New York Times

"Professional journalist and amateur drinker Bianca Bosker didn’t know much about wine—until she discovered an alternate universe where taste reigns supreme, a world of elite sommeliers who dedicate their lives to the pursuit of flavor. Astounded by their fervor and seemingly superhuman sensory powers, she set out to uncover what drove their obsession, and whether she, too, could become a “cork dork.”

With boundless curiosity, humor, and a healthy dose of skepticism, Bosker takes the reader inside underground tasting groups, exclusive New York City restaurants, California mass-market wine factories, and even a neuroscientist’s fMRI machine as she attempts to answer the most nagging question of all: what’s the big deal about wine? What she learns will change the way you drink wine—and, perhaps, the way you live—forever."

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Good Afternoon Coolers,

I read this in today’s Times and thought I’d share it.  It will be of interest to anyone fortunate enough to have visited Ludwig’s Bavarian castles and was in awe of them.  He never saw his finest as it was completed years after his death speculatively drowned in order to stop his country’s bankruptcy.  But that will never now be resolved.

These are some documents that shed light on his achievements and also suggest that he is/was under appreciated. 

I hope you enjoy.

Jeff

Tech that brought ‘Mad’ King Ludwig’s fairytale castles to life.
https://www.thetimes.com/article/4826ff6b-49c1-4800-951b-5b1e2a8579c6?shareToken=2a366d14aefe1b5f362ee54c4a19b8b1

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

To our dear friends across the Pond. This just came across my newsfeed. The tragedy in Southport is felt worldwide. This picture brings tears to many. RIP little Elsie.

Image.jpeg

Thanks.

We live in bewildering times.  No one here can make sense of this.

Jeff

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Thanks.

We live in bewildering times.  No one here can make sense of this.

Jeff

Actually, I think most people CAN make sense of this and why it is happening. 😢

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

To our dear friends across the Pond. This just came across my newsfeed. The tragedy in Southport is felt worldwide. This picture brings tears to many. RIP little Elsie.

Image.jpeg

Thank you….it’s absolutely tragic and my heart goes out to the families involved…one can’t even begin to imagine the pain they must be suffering. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MissSophia said:

Thank you….it’s absolutely tragic and my heart goes out to the families involved…one can’t even begin to imagine the pain they must be suffering. 

And I guess for the saddest of completeness - not just Elsie - but three kids so far, and several more at risks plus some adults.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

And I guess for the saddest of completeness - not just Elsie - but three kids so far, and several more at risks plus some adults.

Another child passed away in the early hours this morning Jeff with two more critical along with some of the adults who bravely tried to shield the children.

The emergency services who assisted yesterday are deeply distressed and in tears today. 
Southport is a beautiful seaside town right now in shock.

9 hours ago, MissSophia said:

Good morning coolers!

Very quiet here today..so far…maybe our UK contingent are having a lie in or are glued to the olympics…

Not a good morning for me as I’ve just paid my tax bill…it really hurts and with the news that us old trouts won’t be getting our winter fuel payment doubles the pain 🫣

However, tis good to be alive on this beautiful Tuesday is it not 😊

Oh poor thing.. so you really need that allowance... I've been receiving it because I could,but to be honest did I really need it ..nope ...  I just donated it to myeloma uk.. Just have to save a little more for your next cruise 😂... 

19 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Yes, I keep seeing more photos of the other children too. Just a nightmare for the families and the village of Southport. 

10 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

Oh poor thing.. so you really need that allowance... I've been receiving it because I could,but to be honest did I really need it ..nope ...  I just donated it to myeloma uk.. Just have to save a little more for your next cruise 😂... 

Blimey! I can assure you that my morning post was quite tongue in cheek….whilst l have no desire to divulge my personal finances on a public forum l admire you for generosity to your chosen charity.

Having both worked at sea as well as multiple cruise holidays since 1970 l have now hung up my oars but still enjoying reading about others fabulous adventures.

😊

People used to make fun of oldies - like me - who said 'the world has gone mad'.  Sadly, it keeps feeling as if it has come  true.   I wonder if my American granddaughter-in-law may change her mind about wanting to come and live in the UK as she hates the amount of violence in the US?

I lived a few miles from Southport in the 1970s, actually had a job there quite near the site of this horror for a while.  It is a small seaside town, which used to be well known for its elegance and lovely main shopping street.  Still a nice place, and as you my have seen, with a population of good people who will try to care for each other.

• Like 6

And what has made this incredibly tragic event even worse is that every news report today from our utterly repugnant press has been talking about the fact that the perpetrator was born to Ugandan parents. Why keep bringing it up before there are more facts available? This has stoked up the far right into rioting tonight and attacking mosques. The British press will stoop to the lowest depths and yet again have blood on their hands. All of this whilst those poor families are facing a future that nobody else can imagine. They have no respect whatsoever. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MissSophia said:

Blimey! I can assure you that my morning post was quite tongue in cheek….whilst l have no desire to divulge my personal finances on a public forum l admire you for generosity to your chosen charity.

Having both worked at sea as well as multiple cruise holidays since 1970 l have now hung up my oars but still enjoying reading about others fabulous adventures.

😊

So was my reaction 😁..!! yes my chosen chosen charity is very close to my heart ❤️.as I'm living with myeloma .. just recovering from second stem cell transplant back in January... Yes I so much enjoy reading about all the other coolers experience of fine dining etc... but I've said several times now to my husband & friends why do I respond to the cooler.. as I get knocked back so many times... I just guess I'm not in with the in crowd 😞... Been cruising with silversea since 2004 ... But still don't seem to fit in.never mind life fore goes on with people who really care for me ...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

And what has made this incredibly tragic event even worse is that every news report today from our utterly repugnant press has been talking about the fact that the perpetrator was born to Ugandan parents. Why keep bringing it up before there are more facts available? This has stoked up the far right into rioting tonight and attacking mosques. The British press will stoop to the lowest depths and yet again have blood on their hands. All of this whilst those poor families are facing a future that nobody else can imagine. They have no respect whatsoever. 

The news here in the US & on social media sites said that the knife wielding man was from Cardiff, Wales. Is that part true? 

This is such a sad story from Southport.  It seems a world gone mad.

Growing up, then raising children of our own, we only locked up at night.  Now, the door is always locked (unless I've forgotten).

4 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

I just guess I'm not in with the in crowd

Then I'm not either

Edited by QueSeraSera
clarity
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

The news here in the US & on social media sites said that the knife wielding man was from Cardiff, Wales. Is that part true? 

Apparently he was born in Cardiff to Rwandan parents, at least that’s what they keep repeating. 

• Thanks 1