Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Ha Ha! Sorry DW....no piano in my lifetime. It is a picture of a "doll" I bought years ago. There is a bit of a resemblance however. :)

DSC00005r.jpg

My eyes are blue. My hair is more salt and pepper. My eyebrows are not so bushy. And I don't really look nearly as sweet. :) However I do smile a lot!

Just as long as it’s not first thing in the morning M!

She really reminds me of Miss Middlehurst, the kindest sweetest teacher you could ever wish to meet. Apparently she was over 100 years old. If we ever misbehaved behind her back she used to put her glasses on the back of her head and by name tell us what we were doing! You can imagine this led to many stories. What a beautiful soul she was.

Greetings Coolers!

For those who miss seeing the glorious colours of fall this picture was taken in Algonquin Park north of where we live. Our colours are just beginning to change.

42226388_1882630498450639_1698998829329678336_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&oh=dacca8190ddf2029765b4933e1318820&oe=5C22B2CE

And today's funny goes hand in hand with that.....

42352602_1887382771308745_3440348643243065344_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&oh=4fa974b82f395bdc14e1b0f9dedb49da&oe=5C15A30F

Have a great day all!

G’Day......fabulous pics M...today it’s really autumnal here as leaves continue to fall....🍃

Thanks DW for the kind thoughts....early morning breakfast duties sound very tiring.....hoping to get up and stay over with four paws sometime....

Friend is still in hospital but no worse......taking other friends out for luncheon tomorrow...two youngsters who have been back packing around the world since January so lots of tales to tell me!

Today more holiday clothing has been placed on the rail.....once it’s full I’m hoping to halve it..🤨

Organic chicken breasts for lunch in a white wine and cream sauce with roast potatoes and cauliflower....comfort food as the days draw in......😊

Good luck with the wardrobe choices Miss S. My biggest problem is the cutting back once my packing list has been made. :( I edit the list several times as departure approaches and for some reason the editing usually means additions as opposed to deletions. Enjoy your wonderful lunch!

Survived a slightly busier than usual weekend at work. Just the regular work week to get through and then our quick trip to Quito.

Now for the packing. This trip should be easier than the cruise was, as we just need some hiking clothes and a nicer outfit for dinners out. Only two nights away (the third night is the red-eye home) so all should fit into a duffel bag and backpack. We can probably pack in 15 minutes.

Made dinner reservations, one night at a fancy place Zazu, and the other is at a smaller local place. Should be a good mix.

S, my cooking is definitely shifting to more comfort food too as the days get shorter and the weather cools down. Last week I made beef stew in the instant pot. Harvested some garlic. Time to get some butternut squash. And use the abundance of sage that's been growing all summer. It's funny because I'm sick of that food by the time spring rolls around but now I'm happy to have it. Variety is good.

M, lovely pix. I haven't turned the heat on yet even though the nights are getting chilly. I will admit, though, that the new bathroom has a heated tile floor and that's on. So it doesn't matter if the rest of the house isn't heated.

DW, hope you've got your help back in the mornings and you don't have to pretend to be a morning person this week.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

JP...we have not been able to hold out against the chill here. Furnace is on now. As I age my tolerance for cold (which was never great) has become much less. We keep the house at 70 F and I still need multiple layers to be comfortable. I keep asking Myster why we live here. :(

Have a wonderful time on your upcoming trip and safe travels!

Greetings Coolers!

For those who miss seeing the glorious colours of fall this picture was taken in Algonquin Park north of where we live. Our colours are just beginning to change.

And today's funny goes hand in hand with that.....

Have a great day all!

YES, Mysty!! Wonderful fall colors in your super scenic park picture, plus loved your great funny about when to turn on the heat. Personally, I love these cool, crisp days such as we enjoyed over this past week and as today is now.

Our many trees are still very, very green here in Central Ohio on October 1. BUT, things will start to change shortly. Keep up the great sharing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 36,518 views. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Lovely Pic M, I'm so much looking forward to the first sweet chestnuts this year. On yesterday's walk through the village, I was musing about how wonderful it would be if we could find a way of "converting" all those horse chestnut trees to sweet chestnut trees. That would be a dream come true. :)

Last week I ordered a new TV which is arriving tommorow - hopefully. I am so excited. Immaturely so. However we feel anxious and very disloyal to "old faithfull" who we have had for nearly 12 years ....... It seems so wrong to replace something that hasn't broken. :(

Hope your quest for sweet chestnuts is fruitful soon J! I felt the same way about replacing my Olympus camera Old Betsy with Sony Frances on our last big adventure. It somehow felt exactly as you described....disloyal. I am nevertheless glad that I did. I hope your new TV's performance eases your guilt. :)

Edited by mysty

I know.

Frances has a new rival in that I have model 3 and there is now model 6 with full 4k video and a beefier telephoto but at £1k it is a lot for a replacement with really just a couple of improvements.

Replacing the TV met with a degree of resistance and some conditions were set including that they didn't just deliver it but "set it up" and took the old one away. And IF it is isn't breathtakingly better than Old Faithfull then I fear that there is going to be a bit of frost in the air for a while considering how much the new one cost at a time when the old one offered and I quote "a perfect picture". There is a bit of anxious anticipation in the air. :):(

I was woken up this morning at an unearthly hour by the telephone with an "international call" telling me in computer voice to expect the delivery between 09:50 and 11:50 and that they will ring 30 minutes before arrival.

Interesting article in the 1843 magazine........"How the Science of Bubbles is Transforming Drinks".

https://www.1843magazine.com/food-drink/how-the-science-of-bubbles-is-transforming-drinks

From the article:

“In the past few years, we have been able to examine in minute detail how bubbles behave in glasses and how changing parameters of the drinks and/or the glass could modify the tasting experience,” Liger-Belair explains from his laboratory. “For example, knowing the mechanics of the very complex and subtle bubble-bursting process can be used to enhance the aroma experience.” In other words, you can manipulate a champagne’s bouquet simply by tweaking the way the bubbles burst.

It was partly Liger-Belair’s research into aroma that prompted wine professionals to jettison the traditional champagne flute. A tall flute might look more elegant, says Liger-Belair, but its shape causes a build-up of carbon dioxide in the headspace of the glass that interferes with the process of nosing. If you really want to get the full aroma of a champagne, he says, then you’re better off drinking out of a white-wine glass.

It also helps if the glasses haven’t been cleaned too well; the fibres cast off from paper and cloth create the tiny air pockets – or nucleation sites – that bubbles need to form. If you poured champagne into a glass that was surgically clean, it wouldn’t bubble at all.

“Bubbles are fabulous because they make a drink multi-sensory before it’s even gone in the mouth,” says sensory scientist Professor Barry Smith. “Just think of a glass of champagne. It’s sonic – you have the sound of the cork coming off, you can hear the bubbles fizzing in the glass. And visually it’s very dramatic too – we see millions of bubbles rising, but in a random motion, so it attracts our visual attention. And each bubble is like a little flavour delivery system that carries the odours of the drink up to your nose. All of these things make champagne very multi-sensory – as wines go it’s hugely dynamic.”

Greetings Coolers!

Started my morning with wonderful news. Our daughter-in-law who was born in Nanjing, China wrote her Canadian citizenship test yesterday and aced it! Citizenship Oath ceremony will take place in 1 - 3 months. So very proud of her! She actually had to trek through a record snow storm to get to the test venue.....you can't get more Canadian than that! :)

Today's funny comes courtesy of Miss S.......

42520891_1928927650520781_7931545092257480704_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&oh=a7094706cef26482ca9132b1ed33ee1f&oe=5C25A8C4

Any news on the new super TV J? Hope delivery and installation went well!

Have a great day all!

G’Day All....

M...that’s such lovely news about your DIL....she must be over the moon as you are and how good to have news to smile about 😀

My friend is finally home from hospital and doing well ...despite being bored...she tells me!!

JP....it is certainly comfort food time...today is yet another chicken casserole with creamed spinach and mash.....hope you enjoy your short break.

I’m sure Jeffers is having fun with his remote M....can be a very testing time having new gadgets installed....

For the third time in weeks my landline went down this week...again.....such a pain but in all fairness the engineer came today and fixed it...their fault as someone cut my line in the main junction box up the road....

Cruise rail continues to fill up...more dresses arrived this morning so time to go and try on....one has to imagine what they will look like when one is all spruced up and not looking like a slob...😳

S😊

It is extremely wonderful news M. :D

Yes .... TV delivered, up and running. To be honest it is startling. For a week or two, until they bring out a new super duper TV, and my one drops in price ... I have officially got the best TV ever - that is if you believe what you read. It is also very big compared with "Old Faithful" but size isn't everything. :D

I am now officially couch potatoed for the foreseeable future.

:)

Thanks J! I am thrilled to bits about DIL! Enjoy your new diversion! And I hope Mrs J is pleased as well! :)

Spins...did you find a way to diagram the family tree? Not long now before your big adventure!

Edited by mysty

Good luck with the new telly Jeff, hope she's a gooden

Great news about your friend Miss S, looking forward to meeting you one day.

Great news for you too M,

Interesting piece on the bubbles. Funny how champagne saucers were dumped years ago because they let the bubbles out, everyone switched to flutes to keep the bubbles in and looks like they might go back again now.

If it ain't broke.........