Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Labskaus  came to Liverpool, many years ago, obviously via sailors, and is known as Lob Scouse - in fact that is where the term of Scousers for Liverpudlians came from.  'Foreign' sailors  came to Liverpool over many generations,  and a cousin of mine on the Liverpool side (merchant ship's brokers, chandlers etc.) says we have some Lascar blood.  He does not appear on the family tree, however, not  surprisingly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4aed899e61bcc19d658608f27ea22208.jpg?str

Almost missed it, was deleting e-mails accumulating in my box still half asleep, but this had me jumping out of bed and booking some tix including pre-dinner at the beautiful very plushy Kaufleuten club in Zurich. The perfect venue for this band, something to look forward to in October😊

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Grand Duchess said:

4aed899e61bcc19d658608f27ea22208.jpg?str

Almost missed it, was deleting e-mails accumulating in my box still half asleep, but this had me jumping out of bed and booking some tix including pre-dinner at the beautiful very plushy Kaufleuten club in Zurich. The perfect venue for this band, something to look forward to in October😊

I’m going to see them in April at the Royal Albert Hall GD. Please let me know how you enjoy it. 

• Like 2

Good Afternoon Coolers,

Today I received an email from my village portal.  I am tempted to comply

Join the local Community Girl Guides

1st XXXXXX  Guides is a small village unit, where all girls are welcome to enjoy our fun-filled space. You’ll make friends, learn to be yourself explore what your loves and do stuff you’ve never done before!

What do you think?   I will shave and focus on my feminine side.  But will that be enough?  🤔

Jeff

• Haha 3

Well said, Betty White and Mysty.  I have learned  to try to live like this in recent years, and it seems to be paying off.

Lovely evening for the Paralympics opening ceremony - a good thing, as understandably the walk by of the athletes is taking a looong time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mysty said:

bettywhite1-2x.jpg.98500ce6141ab96de2085cbd5d2653f7.jpg

Thank you @mysty that hit the spot and is so true.

As you are aware our last trip to Japan did not go quite to plan. I had an accident when a motorcycle delivery driver decided to overtake me on the right as I was turning right. he was speeding and over an unbroken white line but I was the one who ended up in a jail for 4 days and needed lawyers to get me out.

So a warning. In Japan the driving laws are very different as are the consequences so really research the subject if you are intending to rent a car in Japan.

I have given my story on another travel site and if anyone wants to read it drop a line to dr_ronnie at his hotmail account and I will send a link.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My lot were (according to my grandfather) builders of sailing ships in Anglesey, and when steam came in seriously the 'bottom fell out' and they migrated to Liverpool to become ship's brokers, chandlers, and instrument makers.  I do have a receipt from my great-grandfather which shows he sold a ship to a Swedish Captain, with a surprisingly high value for the date, but otherwise I wonder if the history has been 'improved' over the years.  It all seems to have happened  well beyond the slave trading years.

• Like 4

My maternal grandparents were born in Wales but moved over the borders into Shropshire where l was eventually born.

I’m not sure if any of the slate mines are still in use.

Liverpool of course has a very interesting maritime history.

I live in a small village a few miles from the city of Wrexham which some may now associate with the success of the football club and owner Ryan Reynolds…😊

• Like 1

When I tried to trace my family I could only get back to great-great-grandparents because all records were lost in a fire at the Irish records office in the early 20th century. 

However I was gratified to find that all parents, grandparents and great-grandparents were born in and lived in Co Down or Belfast, but shocked to discover that one great-great-grandparent came from Ayr in Scotland. I'm a mongrel! 

The only way I could go back further would be through extant parish records but that's just too difficult. I'll just have to accept being 15/16th Irish and 1/16the Scottish. There's no English in there though. Phew! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I have a feeling that that is a great relief to you, Tts.  Most of us older people living in Great Britain have fairly simple origins;  mine essentially English farmers, Welsh shipping people, and just one great-grandmother who somehow slipped in as a French Huguenot.  Whereas my American grandaughter-in-law has fairly recent ancestors from India, Spain, Ireland and Eastern Europe.  All resulting in a lovely young woman who one would guess was Greek or perhaps from southern Italy.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

I have a feeling that that is a great relief to you, Tts.  Most of us older people living in Great Britain have fairly simple origins;  mine essentially English farmers, Welsh shipping people, and just one great-grandmother who somehow slipped in as a French Huguenot.  Whereas my American grandaughter-in-law has fairly recent ancestors from India, Spain, Ireland and Eastern Europe.  All resulting in a lovely young woman who one would guess was Greek or perhaps from southern Italy.

A bit of a relief, yes. I've absolutely nothing against the English - except during the Six Nations, of course. 

Younger son is a forensic scientist and did one of those DNA tests that determine tribal ancestry: an even split between Celt and Germanic (as expected). What wasn't totally unexpected was a trace of West African but as OH's family were rooted in Bristol (a city with an inglorious history in the slave trade) it seems likely that, many generations ago, there was some, shall we say, intimacy between forebears of different races. 

I reality we're all mixed race to some extent. I find that quite satisfying. 

• Like 6

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am very interested to have a rough idea of where Coolers' ancestors came from - almost certainly the US ones will be the most diverse and interesting.  

• Like 4