Who is replacing Capt. Dimitrios Kafetzis??.

HappyCamper49

Loved Capt. Tasos Kafetzis on the Solstice and had hoped to have his brother, Capt. Dimitrios on our transatlantic cruise in April, 2018, but he had been moved to the Reflection! Hoped to have Dimitrios on our eastern Mediterranean cruise in September, 2019. Now, I see where he has been given the new Celebrity Edge!!!! Anyone know who will be his replacement? Hope it is not Capt. George who we had on our cruise in April!!!

What was the problem with Cpt. George? We've sailed with him previously and he was amazing.

Probably too early to know for sure who'll be your captain for Sept. 2019 but there's a thread "Who's On Board: Officers, Staff..." that contains a chart listing the officers, etc. and is updated as cruisers inform who's onboard. Check closer to your sail date. The link is:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2522361

What was the problem with Cpt. George? We've sailed with him previously and he was amazing.

Probably too early to know for sure who'll be your captain for Sept. 2019 but there's a thread "Who's On Board: Officers, Staff..." that contains a chart listing the officers, etc. and is updated as cruisers inform who's onboard. Check closer to your sail date. The link is:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2522361

Hey Bev,

Nothing wrong with him, good captain. HOWEVER, we sailed the Alaska Inner Passage with Capt. Tasos in 2017 and he "set the bar" so high for a fun cruise! He participated in shows, tried to meet as many passengers as possible during the cruise and he was hilarious! His daily 10:00am messages from the bridge? Practically everyone onboard stopped what they were doing to wait to be entertained by his humor! CAPTAIN GEORGE? B-o-r-i-n-g. Even the cruise director, Sue Denning introducted him as "Capt. Personality---NOT!" His low key, never seen by practically anyone, was the running joke on our cruise. When the crew was being introduced the 2nd night, all he said was, "Have a good cruise." He was then gone.....never saw him again. I had hoped he would be more like Capt. Tasos and Capt. Dimitrios. They more or less set the tone for a cruise. I can't explain it, they just do.

I have sailed with both Captain Dimitrios Kafetzis and Captain Kate McHue, each of whom have a large fan base. I found them both accessible and entertaining, as well as highly competent. However, I don’t expect every captain to entertain me. I expect them to sail the ship, maintain order on the ship, manage contingencies that affect the sailing, and communicate with passengers as appropriate. I think it’s unkind of you to label a captain “boring” because he didn’t entertain you. Keep in mind that an apparently entertaining - though admittedly also extremely self absorbed and incompetent - ran the Costa Concordia aground.

I have sailed with both Captain Dimitrios Kafetzis and Captain Kate McHue, each of whom have a large fan base. I found them both accessible and entertaining, as well as highly competent. However, I don’t expect every captain to entertain me. I expect them to sail the ship, maintain order on the ship, manage contingencies that affect the sailing, and communicate with passengers as appropriate. I think it’s unkind of you to label a captain “boring” because he didn’t entertain you. Keep in mind that an apparently entertaining - though admittedly also extremely self absorbed and incompetent - ran the Costa Concordia aground.

and killed 32 persons.

Bit of a tough comparison ! We have sailed with Captains who have been very visual and a pleasure to meet ... others we have met and were less so. There are some who we would prefer to meet again and others not. All, however, have been more than competent and professional - they made sure that we got home safety. Without saying too much, I am sure that we would all agree that the Captain of the Concordia was 'one of a kind' .. thank God.

Bit of a tough comparison ! We have sailed with Captains who have been very visual and a pleasure to meet ... others we have met and were less so. There are some who we would prefer to meet again and others not. All, however, have been more than competent and professional - they made sure that we got home safety. Without saying too much, I am sure that we would all agree that the Captain of the Concordia was 'one of a kind' .. thank God.

You have my heartfelt agreement about that last! I did say that every Celebrity captain I’ve met has seemed highly competent, regardless of their accessibility to passengers. I believe Celebrity only hires extremely competent captains, or I’d not sail with them. My point is that being extremely accessible to passengers is not, nor should it be, amongst their primary responsibilities. Should they have the desire and the time to be accessible and entertaining, I’ll enjoy it, but I won’t judge them harshly if they don’t have the desire or the time.

Edited by Silkroad
clarification

Amen.

Maybe I'm the odd man out , but I don't care who the captain is, and never have. As long as he does his job, I can go about my business of having a great vacation!

Yep. I don't care whobthe captain is as long as he /she gets us safe from point a to b. I also don't care who the Cruise Director is. My enjoyment of the cruise is not based on them.

I also don't expect that the captain is entertaining me but if he does it's fine! And for the funfactor it can make a difference what kind of Cruisedirector you have. I have never thought that before but an example from last year showed me it can.....

We have sailed with both Kafetzis brothers in the past and they are both very kind and entertaining. We only know from Dimitrios personally that he will be in December on EDGE. I think to support the inaugural Master and for training. We think he will be on REFLECTION before because Tasos confirmed on Instagram that he will be the Master on the TA.

In 2019 he will be on EDGE but I have heard he is also involved in lauching the APEX so no idea how long......

Edited by Fabius

The Captain has one job -- to get the ship and passengers safely from one port to another. Some itineraries are more demanding in terms of seamanship. Some may have medical, engineering, personnel or other emergencies that take up the Captain's time.

Having the misfortune many years ago to be on a cruise ship that collided at sea, I can tell you that my satisfaction with a cruise does not begin or end with the visibility or friendliness of the Captain.

I agree with that too and I know that he is very experienced too. So a good combination;)!

But that would not be a reason for me to book a special cruise.....

Edited by Fabius

OP actually asked who would replace Captain Dimitrios Kafetzis, and I believe she was referring to Reflection. Another poster inquired about Solstice. If it’s not on Arno’s chart, I think we’ll have to await new data.

That’s true I referred to Reflection and Dimitrios Kafetzis. His brother Tasos answered a question on Instagram that his brother will be still on TA on Reflection. So it seems that he will bring the ship back over the pond and will switch to Edge in December before he will take over in 2019 around March.

Tasos will be back on Solstice on 29th of October.

• 4 weeks later...

:cool:

Hey Bev,

Nothing wrong with him, good captain. HOWEVER, we sailed the Alaska Inner Passage with Capt. Tasos in 2017 and he "set the bar" so high for a fun cruise! He participated in shows, tried to meet as many passengers as possible during the cruise and he was hilarious! His daily 10:00am messages from the bridge? Practically everyone onboard stopped what they were doing to wait to be entertained by his humor! CAPTAIN GEORGE? B-o-r-i-n-g. Even the cruise director, Sue Denning introducted him as "Capt. Personality---NOT!" His low key, never seen by practically anyone, was the running joke on our cruise. When the crew was being introduced the 2nd night, all he said was, "Have a good cruise." He was then gone.....never saw him again. I had hoped he would be more like Capt. Tasos and Capt. Dimitrios. They more or less set the tone for a cruise. I can't explain it, they just do.

• 3 years later...
On 8/9/2018 at 7:26 AM, HappyCamper49 said:

Hey Bev,

Yes, very disappointed 😞