Fort Lauderdale - hotel - port....Help please

Guest hockeychic

Hi all, we just booked Sleep Inn for November. I liked what I read here but want to be sure of something. Is that grocery story and those restaurants within walking distance?

Yes, the grocery store and restaurants are within walking distace of the Sleep Inn.

Publix and the restaurants and the Dollar Store are across the street. Walgreens, 24 hour, is across the parking lot. It is the perfect location, and the Italian restaurant is very good and very reasonable. Enjoy your stay. The Dania beach is about a mile away and haven't done that yet, but it supposed to be a really good beach.

Bon Voyage to all those who are getting ready to cruise. Safe journey Beej

We have made a reservation for January 5 and we are paying 189 plus tax for our room. There were no 60+ rates available. What a bummer! We stayed here before and it was much cheaper but probably in another month. I just remember how crazy the lobby was early in the am when we arrived from the airport. Otherwise everything was fine.

They offer a shuttle to the Miami port at $10.00 per person. Katie
I do not know the area but I would be very suspicious of this very low price for Fort Lauderdale to Miami?? We have stayed at the Marina Marriott several times and love it.

i emailed valuetripes.com for the AmeriSuites but they don't have their

rates for Feb. yet. I have to email them again after October.

Would anyone suggest to do priceline but with the boat show in town there probably isn't many open rooms in the area i need thrusday feb 15

checking out on friday, feb 16 so i don't know if this would be a waste of my time.

cheryl

Thank you. Now it all makes sense. When I booked this cruise in October 2005 I had no idea that the Super Bowl was February 2007 in Florida. Flights and hotels are sky-high or non-existent for a pre-cruise stay. Our cruise leaves February 3. I hate to fly on the same day as embarkation.

This is just one more thing to check on for future cruises. We don't have that problem when cruising from the LA area--no NFL team anymore.

Friends were having the same problem, and actually had luck calling direct. I don't recall the hotel which they are booked in, but they did find one!

Please don't forget that Publix cannot sell wine or beer before 12:00 noon on Sundays.

I rode through the parking lot of this shopping center a few weeks ago, I cannot find a package store or liquor store. There is a liquor store on Dania Beach Blvd and US1, however I'm not real sure thats open now.

Linda

:)

Jean,

I cant help you with the wine question, but I'm staying at the Sleep Inn tomorrow night and will post my experience there when I get back and try and answer your questions.

Mark

Mark, how was your stay?:)

We will be staying there this Friday, 10/20, and booked it due to these threads and the advice on Bequia. I"m sure it will be fine, have called to confirm, no problems. I will also report back when we return!:D

Cool - I'm heading down in a month and am looking forward to some reviews.

Mike

We stayed at the Sleep Inn on 10/8 and everything was great. The shuttle happened to be at the airport right when we got our bags and it was a quick trip to the hotel. Check-in was smooth and they asked what time we needed a shuttle in the morning. We booked a 2 queen non-smoking and that is what we got. The room was good sized with a small sofa and coffee table, a breakfast table with 2 chairs a fridge and microwave and a safe in the closet. The room was very clean. My only complaints are the A/C could have blown a little colder air and the iron is physically attached to the ironing board which made ironing a bit tricky. Those are only minor things, the A/C was cold, it just could have been colder for me. Breakfast in the morning was great with lots to choose from and the shuttle was right on time to take us to the cruise port. This place is a good value if the price is right, I paid 89 dollars (sorry dollar sign on keyboard is out). I say that because it is a 2 to 2.5 hotel and if you are expecting the Ritz you will be disappointed. It is a good, clean, sleep cheap that is perfect for a short pre or post cruise stay. I would definitely stay their again if the price is right. We stayed at the Renaissance post cruise and you see why the price is higher.

As for the area around the Sleep Inn, it's as you've read, plenty of places to get your pre-cruise goodies (except liquor if you want it). We ate at Villa JoJo, the Italian joint across the street and it was really good and really cheap - there is also Mexican, and Chinese w/takeout - no fast food.

Happy Cruising,

Mark

The rates for mid January in Fort lauderdale are crazy! For example this place is $180 a night. It's a 2* isn't it?

All of the rates in the Ft. Lauderdale area seem to have gone sky high after the first of the year. :eek:

We are paying over $200 for one night in Mid April at a 3 Star Hotel.

Our flight from Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale is only $318 for two! A much better deal than the hotel it seems.

I guess a person has to do what a person has to do. We did not want to be in a flea bag hotel - and there seem to be plenty of those, according to what I read here on CC and elsewhere.

Good luck -

We stayed at the Sleep Inn on 10/8 and everything was great. The shuttle happened to be at the airport right when we got our bags and it was a quick trip to the hotel. Check-in was smooth and they asked what time we needed a shuttle in the morning. We booked a 2 queen non-smoking and that is what we got. The room was good sized with a small sofa and coffee table, a breakfast table with 2 chairs a fridge and microwave and a safe in the closet. The room was very clean. My only complaints are the A/C could have blown a little colder air and the iron is physically attached to the ironing board which made ironing a bit tricky. Those are only minor things, the A/C was cold, it just could have been colder for me. Breakfast in the morning was great with lots to choose from and the shuttle was right on time to take us to the cruise port. This place is a good value if the price is right, I paid 89 dollars (sorry dollar sign on keyboard is out). I say that because it is a 2 to 2.5 hotel and if you are expecting the Ritz you will be disappointed. It is a good, clean, sleep cheap that is perfect for a short pre or post cruise stay. I would definitely stay their again if the price is right. We stayed at the Renaissance post cruise and you see why the price is higher.

As for the area around the Sleep Inn, it's as you've read, plenty of places to get your pre-cruise goodies (except liquor if you want it). We ate at Villa JoJo, the Italian joint across the street and it was really good and really cheap - there is also Mexican, and Chinese w/takeout - no fast food.

Happy Cruising,

Mark

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this reveiw I really appreciate it. I have booked for the 31st of oct. Could you tell me about the parking? Like does it seem like a fairly safe place to leave your car for the length of the cruise? Did they also pick you up at the port when you arrived back?

All of the rates in the Ft. Lauderdale area seem to have gone sky high after the first of the year. :eek:

We are paying over $200 for one night in Mid April at a 3 Star Hotel.

Our flight from Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale is only $318 for two! A much better deal than the hotel it seems.

I guess a person has to do what a person has to do. We did not want to be in a flea bag hotel - and there seem to be plenty of those, according to what I read here on CC and elsewhere.

Good luck -

I know I got my airfare for $178pp from Seattle! These hotel rates are ludicrus! Thanks for the info. This helps. If this is the case then I'll just wait until closer to my travel date as I suspect they'll get less bookings due to sticker shock. I've got a res that I can cancel penalty free so this should work!

KoKoKo

I didn't pay a lot of attention to the parking lot itself, however, the area seems very safe and I wouldn't be afraid to leave a car there. They will pick you up after your cruise. They seem very organized with their transportation.

Mark

KoKoKo

I didn't pay a lot of attention to the parking lot itself, however, the area seems very safe and I wouldn't be afraid to leave a car there. They will pick you up after your cruise. They seem very organized with their transportation.

Mark

Mark - Thanks for the info. We've got a group staying there in November and it sounds like a nice, basic, clean place - which is what we want. The cruise is our splurge :)

Mike

Hello. We just returned from our cruise and stayed at the Sleep Inn in Dania, FL for a 2nd time. This hotel is PERFECT for a one night pre/post cruise stay. We booked the significant organization rate ($71.99) and they didn't ask any questions at check in. We did have to wait a while (about 45 mins)for a shuttle from the airport, but the driver said he came by once and I guess we didn't see him. But our flight arrived at 5pm too so the traffic was bad. I mentioned that they should have more than 1 shuttle and they said during busy times they do.

But other than that, everything was perfect. The shopping across the street is perfect. It's been built within the last 2 years because when we were there in Oct 2004, it wasn't there. We did eat at the Italian restaurant and it was really good. The dollar tree next to the restaurant is perfect and so is the Publix grocery.

We bought beer and water bottles there at the Publix. Put the beer in our checked bags and got on without any problems.

I bet we made 4 trips to the Walgreens just a rocks throw away. Perfect for those last minute things you forgot to bring.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be glad to answer anything I can. I'll be writing a review on tripadvisor.com within the next few days too. Maybe even have some pics on there.

Enjoy your stay and your cruise! :)

Archived