Fort Lauderdale - hotel - port....Help please

Guest hockeychic

hi and thanks for the great review!! we too have booked with the significant organization rate for $160 a night (fll boat show that is why it is a little pricey). I have been wondering instead of the sleep inn to book the AmeriSuites Fort Lauderdale/17th Street

because on valuetrips;com it seems to be a little closer the the pier? there really is not savings between the 2 places (amerisuites is actually $10 cheaper), but i have been reading on tripadvisor that the reviews on amerisuites aren't that good lately. so maybe i should just stay where i am?

cheryl

Hello. We just returned from our cruise and stayed at the Sleep Inn in Dania, FL for a 2nd time. This hotel is PERFECT for a one night pre/post cruise stay. We booked the significant organization rate ($71.99) and they didn't ask any questions at check in ... everything was perfect. The shopping across the street is perfect. It's been built within the last 2 years because when we were there in Oct 2004, it wasn't there. We did eat at the Italian restaurant and it was really good. The dollar tree next to the restaurant is perfect and so is the Publix grocery.

Enjoy your stay and your cruise! :)

I'm glad to hear yet another good review. We've got a group that will be there in four weeks and are pleased with our choice based on what we've heard here. We'll post an opinion as well once we get back.

I have some questions for you:

1. when you wanted to be picked up by sleepinn at the airport, did you have to call them and tell them your flight has arrived or should i call them a day or two before we leave?

2. wine, would a supermarket near sleepinn sell this i really don;t drink pricey wines lol!!

3. breakfast what was this like what kind of foods.

4. leaving for the ship...how does this work when you check in you tell them you need transportation to the pier?

thanks

cheryl

Does anyone know why they charge is so much more for a stay and cruise than they do for a fly and stay. I noticed on stay 123. it was way more if you booked for a cruise and stay.

I checked into this after booking with the Hotel and they don't care which one it is, They will still pick you up at the Airport and shuttle you to the port.... It was available for my date, But after calling the hotel I tried to book with stay 123 and it all of A sudden came up not Available for my date.... I would book the cheaper of the 2 as others have done and go with the fly and stay, Some have reported that when they booked this way rather than booking directly with the hotel, The hotel shuttle van picks you up at the cruise port and takes you back to the Hotel if your car is parked there..... But I thought from what some of the locals that live in the area said that due to security and port restrictions hotel shuttle vans were not allowed in the cruise port..... Guess I will ask them when we get there if they will pick us up at the port and take us back to the hotel to get our car... Of course it would stand to reason if you pick the Fly and Stay they would take you from the port to the Airport.... Funny if you book directly with the hotel you don't get this option, but with stay 123 you do.... you are in affect booking with the hotel through stay 123 anyway..... The parking is on site, the vans are theirs.... Don't get why it would be different..........

hi and thanks for the great review!! we too have booked with the significant organization rate for $160 a night (fll boat show that is why it is a little pricey). I have been wondering instead of the sleep inn to book the AmeriSuites Fort Lauderdale/17th Street

because on valuetrips;com it seems to be a little closer the the pier? there really is not savings between the 2 places (amerisuites is actually $10 cheaper), but i have been reading on tripadvisor that the reviews on amerisuites aren't that good lately. so maybe i should just stay where i am?

cheryl

Last summer I stayed at the Amerisuites a total of 3 times. Each time I considered the place alittle "dumpier". By the 3rd time, I wished we weren't staying there. Grant it, it was mid-summer, the air was on the blink, there was a nasty overpowering mildew smell, the rooms were dingy at best and the pool was down right disgusting... maybe with the "cooler" weather it is less unattractive...

Since then they have changed hands and claim they will be renovating. I will wait for that to actually happen and be confirmed by fellow CCers before booking there again!

I like what I am reading about Sleep Inn Dania, and will be sure to post a review when we retuen in December.

JMHO

A~

dis2cruise~I have heard too many bad reviews of the Amerisuites. We were actually booked for the Amerisuites first when we first went on our cruise back on Oct of 2004. I'm so glad I changed and stayed at the Sleep Inn in Dania. I really don't think you will be disappointed unless you are used to staying at a luxury hotel. It is not luxury, but it is clean and comfortable and a good location. I say...stay with Sleep Inn.

I'm pretty sure the Publix across the street sold wine. When you first walk in the door to your right was a large area for the wine selection. Not sure what kinds they had but it looked to be a pretty big selection. We bought beer which was in a different area.

After you claim your luggage at the airport, then you call Sleep Innby using one of the phones there in the airport. They will tell you where to go and wait. The van shuttle was white with Sleep Inn written on it.

Breakfast was pastries, cold cereal, bagels, waffle maker, biscuits and gravies, fruit, juices and coffee. I may be leaving some things out.

When you check in to the hotel, you tell them that you need to put your name on the shuttle list to the port. They will tell you what is available. We checked in at about 5:45pm and the earliest shuttle we could get was 1:30pm but we wound up leaving a few minutes earlier than that. They let us have a late check out at 12:30pm then we just waited in the lobby with our luggage until it was time to go.

If you would like to see some pics of the hotel, send me an email: pswamom@aol.com

Hope this helps.

Does anyone know how much it cost to take a cab to the pier from the Sleep Inn? We have a late arrival at the hotel and would like to get to the cruise ship early. We figure it would be to late to sign up for an early shuttle because of our late arrival .

Thanks for your help. Just love cruise critic!! Everyone is so very helpful!

Does anyone know how much it cost to take a cab to the pier from the Sleep Inn? We have a late arrival at the hotel and would like to get to the cruise ship early. We figure it would be to late to sign up for an early shuttle because of our late arrival .

Thanks for your help. Just love cruise critic!! Everyone is so very helpful!

We have stayed at the Sleep Inn twice and been very pleased both times. It is perfect for a pre or post cruise stay of one night. Usually the late arrivals get the really early or the really late shuttles. The last time we were there we were also late arriving, and they offered us a 10 AM shuttle which was fine with us. However, if the only shuttles are in the afternoon, I would definitely take a cab. My guess is that the cab would not be more than $20. Enjoy your cruise.

We have stayed at the Sleep Inn twice and been very pleased both times. It is perfect for a pre or post cruise stay of one night. Usually the late arrivals get the really early or the really late shuttles. The last time we were there we were also late arriving, and they offered us a 10 AM shuttle which was fine with us. However, if the only shuttles are in the afternoon, I would definitely take a cab. My guess is that the cab would not be more than $20. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the information, imacruizer. I am hoping that we will get the really early shuttle offered to us. If they only offer the later one I am sure we will be taking a cab. We would surely like to be on the ship early instead of spending time at the hotel.

Thanks everyone for all the information on this thread. It has been so helpful. I always worry about the hotel I book and ya all have made me feel very confident that I have made a good choice. Cruise critic has been the greatest source of information. Thanks to everyone.

ncruiser~I'm not sure about the cab fare from the Sleep Inn to the port, but I can tell you that the cab fare from the port to the airport was $13.30 plus tip. They are both in the same vacinity. And those cab drivers are crazy drivers let me tell you! But we made it safely.

Also, two years ago when we cruised and stayed at the Sleep Inn we also arrived late, like almost 11pm. We was able to get an early shuttle out the next morning at 11:15am. So what I would do is, call the Sleep Inn now or maybe the day before would be better and ask them if there is anyway to get your name on the shuttle list before arriving. All they can say is no, and then you can take the cab. It's worth a try.

I know though if you arrive at the port too early, all you will be doing is waiting in a long line. That's what we did last time. I thought I wanted to get there early this time, but we left the hotel around 1:15pm, walked right into where you check-in and was in our cabin in probably 15 mins. It would have been too hot to stand outside in the sun and wait.

Enjoy your cruise....it goes way to fast!

ncruiser~I'm not sure about the cab fare from the Sleep Inn to the port, but I can tell you that the cab fare from the port to the airport was $13.30 plus tip. They are both in the same vacinity. And those cab drivers are crazy drivers let me tell you! But we made it safely.

Also, two years ago when we cruised and stayed at the Sleep Inn we also arrived late, like almost 11pm. We was able to get an early shuttle out the next morning at 11:15am. So what I would do is, call the Sleep Inn now or maybe the day before would be better and ask them if there is anyway to get your name on the shuttle list before arriving. All they can say is no, and then you can take the cab. It's worth a try.

I know though if you arrive at the port too early, all you will be doing is waiting in a long line. That's what we did last time. I thought I wanted to get there early this time, but we left the hotel around 1:15pm, walked right into where you check-in and was in our cabin in probably 15 mins. It would have been too hot to stand outside in the sun and wait.

Enjoy your cruise....it goes way to fast!

Thanks P.A. I appreciate the information. It is always great to know all about your choices before you arrive so you can plan ahead.

Just to let ya know...I booked a night in April 2007 at Sleep Inn for $109.00 a night and parking is $7.00 per night, still cheaper than $12.00 port parking. Total $158.00 compared to Laqunita 195.00 per night and you can only park there if you go thru parksleepcruise.com or something like that.

Is there only one Sleep Inn? Is the one you are talking about at the Airport? Is Dania where the airport is located?

Thanks.

Hi, yes it is the Sleep Inn in Dania.

Dania is sort of a suburb of Ft. Lauderdale...the airport itself

is located between Hollywood and Ft. Lauderale. Not far

by cab or shuttle to Dania proper.

But yes, that is the same Sleep Inn.

Hi everyone, just back from our cruise, and we stayed at the Sleep Inn on the Significant Organizations rate as well without any difficulty. (Not a senior here yet). We arrived at the airport, retrieved all our luggage(Luckily) and called from the airport hotel. We were picked up in about 20 minutes. The hotel room was just as described previously, clean, convenient, close to what you needed to shop for. We took advantage of the close proximity of both the Walgreen's and Publix, and also had a very nice dinner at the Italian restaurant. A good night's sleep and we ready to cruise! When I went to get coffee in the morning, the elevator was not working, walked down 2 flights of stairs, reported it and they had already called for a repairman,no big deal. We had a nice breakfast, the elevator was fixed by the time we were done, got our luggage and went to the ship on the 11:00 A.M. shuttle. We waited in a line but not for long, we were in our cabin by 12:30 and ended up having a terrific cruise!

Very nice hotel for the rate, and will definitely consider it again for next time! Just a thought ...we had also stayed at the Amerisuites last year, and it was fine then but we also changed due to recent reports and we very pleased with the choice!

The rates for mid January in Fort lauderdale are crazy! For example this place is $180 a night. It's a 2* isn't it?

Paying $143.00 double queen, which they call a suite, January 18th, 2007. Compared to $394.00 CCL quoted me for the pre-cruise night on 17th. We don't need a palace, just a clean room in a safe area. We've rented a car, so restaurants aren't an issue. The Walgreens and Publix are just a bonus, to pick up soda and snackies for the cruise. Add free the breakfast, and shuttle...great value even at $180.00.

PS. ask about association rate, over 50 rate, and if you're over 60 they told me I would have paid $130.00.

Hi everyone, just back from our cruise, and we stayed at the Sleep Inn on the Significant Organizations rate as well without any difficulty. (Not a senior here yet). We arrived at the airport, retrieved all our luggage(Luckily) and called from the airport hotel. We were picked up in about 20 minutes. The hotel room was just as described previously, clean, convenient, close to what you needed to shop for. We took advantage of the close proximity of both the Walgreen's and Publix, and also had a very nice dinner at the Italian restaurant. A good night's sleep and we ready to cruise! When I went to get coffee in the morning, the elevator was not working, walked down 2 flights of stairs, reported it and they had already called for a repairman,no big deal. We had a nice breakfast, the elevator was fixed by the time we were done, got our luggage and went to the ship on the 11:00 A.M. shuttle. We waited in a line but not for long, we were in our cabin by 12:30 and ended up having a terrific cruise!

Very nice hotel for the rate, and will definitely consider it again for next time! Just a thought ...we had also stayed at the Amerisuites last year, and it was fine then but we also changed due to recent reports and we very pleased with the choice!

Thanks, camperhawk! We'll be there in less than three weeks and am glad to keep hearing good reviews! We'll post as well when we're back.

Happy sailing!!!

Archived