Eurodam in the News

IRL_Joanie

I am thinking that the cruise company hires part-time assistance for the turn-around days. Is this true?

The only time part-time, non-crew are hired for turn-around days is typically when there is a USCG safety inspection scheduled, and the crew will need to take part in drills, cutting down on their time for normal turn-around activity. Otherwise, it is all done by crew.

The crew multi-task on turn-around day. Since most dining venues are not open on embarkation day, and the bars only open later, wait staff and bar staff will handle and sort the luggage as it comes on, for delivery to the cabin decks. Spa and gift shop staff are responsible for getting their stock from the loading area to their shops, and coordinating the elevator use with the baggage delivery.

One thing not mentioned in the article, is that in addition to the food and beverages loaded each week, and sandwiched in between the offgoing and oncoming luggage, several tons of technical spares for engineering, and "dry stores" for the hotel (replacement linens, glassware, other non-consumable items) and stock for the onboard shops must be loaded.

I have to laugh when it says that all the linen from turn-around day is taken to the laundry where it is washed "later in the day". It takes the better part of the cruise to catch up on the turn-around linen cleaning, along with the daily towel and tablecloth laundry.

This was a very interesting article. The one thing that stood out to me was the amount of luggage-8000 pieces for 2100 passengers. Someone must be taking a lot of luggage with them! We generally leave 2 pieces with the porters but I know of several people who manage to do their cruise with just a carry-on and a backpack.

This was a very interesting article. The one thing that stood out to me was the amount of luggage-8000 pieces for 2100 passengers. Someone must be taking a lot of luggage with them! We generally leave 2 pieces with the porters but I know of several people who manage to do their cruise with just a carry-on and a backpack.

I think it referred to 4000 pieces of luggage off and 4000 pieces on in the same day...adding up to appx 8000 handled in one day.