Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

11 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

Maybe we want to use our detergent because harsh chemicals ruin expensive clothes. I always use woolite  detergent on the clothes & darn tough socks. So that's why I wanted to use my own. The clothes also have special UV protection. So I hope the clothes don't get ruined using their laundry detergent. So before you comment on people not wanting to comply, listen to our feedback & understand without making a snide comment.

We always used the provided soap. I don't remember if it was required.  It could be because of the washers.

14 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

Maybe we want to use our detergent because harsh chemicals ruin expensive clothes. I always use woolite  detergent on the clothes & darn tough socks. So that's why I wanted to use my own. The clothes also have special UV protection. So I hope the clothes don't get ruined using their laundry detergent. So before you comment on people not wanting to comply, listen to our feedback & understand without making a snide comment.

Not snide comments just asking you to follow the cruise lines very reasonable rules which are made for environmental reasons. Failing to comply on grey water discharges can lead to significant fines and being banned from cruising in some areas. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, blag said:

Ouch!

But, it has been explained in post #2471 why Azamara discourages the use of other detergents.

If the detergent is so important to you or your clothes, why not wash everything by hand?

Or, alternatively, bring clothes that do not need special treatment.

Also, AFAIK, UV-resistant clothing can be laundered without 'special' detergents. I checked the wash labels on all mine, and there is no reference to use of a 'special detergent'.

I usually use delicate cycle & woolite, cold water & yes I have hand washed it a lot. I have had the clothes for years because of this. I put in dryer for less than  5 minutes & dry on a line. But harsh chemicals will wear away the clothes. I also just use about 2 tbs of woolite. Wirecutter had a recent review on washing you may want to read. This is just me & I'm fussy about laundry like I said. 

2 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

I usually use delicate cycle & woolite, cold water & yes I have hand washed it a lot. I have had the clothes for years because of this. I put in dryer for less than  5 minutes & dry on a line. But harsh chemicals will wear away the clothes. I also just use about 2 tbs of woolite. Wirecutter had a recent review on washing you may want to read. This is just me & I'm fussy about laundry like I said. 

But the 'harsh chemicals' for the few times you might use them on a cruise are hardly likely to have a significant deleterious effect on your clothes.

Now, if you had identified your problem as being one arising from allergies, my responses might have differed. 

4 minutes ago, blag said:

But the 'harsh chemicals' for the few times you might use them on a cruise are hardly likely to have a significant deleterious effect on your clothes.

Now, if you had identified your problem as being one arising from allergies, my responses might have differed. 

Don't buy it. What happens if it removes the UV protection because of it? Will you pay for My clothes? Pants are over $100, darn tough socks $25, shirts over $60. So yes good clothes are expensive bur last a long time if you take care of them.  That's why I only use a dryer for a few minutes on low just to remove the wrinkles. Do you do all this when washing your clothes?

2 of the 6 dryers did not work on the Journey for most of our 2 week cruise this March. One had been out the previous cruise according to b2b passengers. 

50 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

We cruised on our sailboat for 7 years full time so I understand Grey water & environmental rules.

Sailboat rules are different to ocean liners. Please just accept the rules when using the washing machines whose discharges are handled differently to your room sink I was advised when asking about this before. 
Ours is not to query the rules it’s to comply, the master makes them as guided by the full time highly qualified Environment Officer. We are all but gifted amateurs! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, catspaw1 said:

I, too, hope your clothes don't get ruined...anywhere or anytime.  But the use of improper detergent can create a problem with the equipment that would affect everyone else intending to use the laundry, and that should be a consideration in choosing to use a facility that is also used by others. 

We all have items that we'd like not to be ruined by a laundry.  Some of use Woolite in our stateroom's sink if we feel that's a necessary step, and follow the ship's rules out of consideration for others.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

Don't buy it. What happens if it removes the UV protection because of it? Will you pay for My clothes? Pants are over $100, darn tough socks $25, shirts over $60. So yes good clothes are expensive bur last a long time if you take care of them.  That's why I only use a dryer for a few minutes on low just to remove the wrinkles. Do you do all this when washing your clothes?

UV protection is not a 'treatment'. UV protection in clothing is a fundamental, physical property derived from the nature of the fabric and the weave.

UV protection cannot be removed by washing!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, catspaw1 said:

Will you pay for My clothes? Pants are over $100, darn tough socks $25

Not to worry about the Darn Tough socks! They are a good old Vermont company and are guaranteed for life. And are true to their word. My husband just cashed in recently on three pairs!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We have been using them for years. Never put in the dryer. Just came back from hiking in GSMNP. One day we did almost 10 miles, 165 flights steps & almost 22000 steps. Darn tough socks used every day when hiking- love them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

We have been using them for years. Never put in the dryer. Just came back from hiking in GSMNP. One day we did almost 10 miles, 165 flights steps & almost 22000 steps. Darn tough socks used every day when hiking- love them.

Well, you can feel safe to dry them. They will cheerfully replace them should they wear out 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Well, you can feel safe to dry them. They will cheerfully replace them should they wear out 

We have had them for years & still good. Next week we are going to CO, WY & SD  for hiking & the national parks. They are coming with us as well as my packaged soap.

The recent posts highlight why some cruise lines have installed machines with auto dispense soap and sealed soap trays. 
I hope @catspaw1 enjoys their cruise, respects the laundry room rules and uses  their packaged soap for in room handwashing only 

• Like 10

There is also the option of waiting until you’re home to wash your special clothes.  I’d hate to see this free option of washing our own clothes discontinued because people don’t follow the rules.  Cruising has enough bad eco press - let’s do our small part and not add to the problem.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Interesting discussion about laundry!

Honestly, after reading these posts, I feel like I've been washing clothes the wrong way for years.  No wonder my DW yells at me every time I do the laundry, telling me that I need to AT LEAST read the fabric care labels!

And now I'm even concerned about the environmental appropriateness of the detergents I use at home.  🤔

• Like 1

Y’all, as a new Azamara cruiser, I love this spreadsheet so much. Thanks for all the comments, time, and effort you all put into compiling it! Can’t wait to set foot on the Journey in Athens on June 15th! You guys are the best!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Haelmai said:

Y’all, as a new Azamara cruiser, I love this spreadsheet so much. Thanks for all the comments, time, and effort you all put into compiling it! Can’t wait to set foot on the Journey in Athens on June 15th! You guys are the best!

Thanks, especially, to @Grandma Cruising, who maintains this spreadsheet, and generally helps us all stay up to date on all things Azamara. 

There are many helpful folks on this board. I appreciate them, too. 

• Like 9

I'm not new to AZ but have not sailed since late '19 and I'm not quite sure I'm understanding what I'm seeing on my invoice.

On the first page it lists 'Coupon Type" One is listed as CONV OBC COUPON for $700.00 And then there are 2 listed as OBC COUPON..1 for $400.00 and 1 for $750.00.

But on the 2nd page there is a section called "Add Ons". One is for $400.00 and shows as Promo Code "Cruise Night" The 2nd one is $750.00 and is listed as "FLASHFEB24".

Can someone explain to me the difference and what I'm actually receiving? Thanks!! 

Did you look at your on-line account to see what that shows.When I click on Upcoming cruises in my online account it shows OBC Total and Remaining for my booked cruise That total matches the total shown in Add Ons after I click on Manage my Reservation and is exactly what I thought I have.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Did you look at your on-line account to see what that shows.When I click on Upcoming cruises in my online account it shows OBC Total and Remaining for my booked cruise That total matches the total shown in Add Ons after I click on Manage my Reservation and is exactly what I thought I have.

Thanks...I'll check it out!!