Navigational Chart for sale

KevintheIrishDJ

For my 50th birthday cruise I told my husband all I wanted was the navigation chart. It turns out Princess and I share the same birth year. While I was at a wine tasting, my husband was in the auction bidding for the map. This particular map was signed by the artist Dominic Pangborn and went for much more than they normally do. After the tasting my husband came to me and told me he had lost to another collector of Pangborn art. That night was formal night and I was surprised by not only a signed navigational map but the artist painted on it as well, it is exquisite, and a memory I will always treasure! a1ebfe564c7a8e6500e5ae9c554ae7ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not to hijack this thread, but I just got off a sailing and this was one of the things in the back of my mind to get but of course forgot to. I can't seem to find any mention of this anywhere on the internet. Does anyone know what it's officially called? I might ask my roll call to see if someone snatched one. Thanks!

"Log of the Cruise"

Also, the back has a list of bridge officers.

Just save the first day patter -- which has a list of all the department heads, and save the "Log of the Cruise"

Cut-out the box with department heads. Cut out the box with the bridge officers. Cut the "Cruise Summary"

off the "Log of the Cruise"

Paste all on a $30 paper chart. Maybe add your best personal picture from the cruise.

Frame.

Take several more cruises with the money you just saved.

43475570454_503c5ce3f7_b.jpg

It's the Log of the Cruise, and everyone gets one on the last day, instead of a Patter (you get it the night before). If you didn't see it, probably someone on your Roll Call still has it.

I'm back from my roll call and have found out that at least on the Caribbean Princess, the log is no longer provided, as confirmed by someone still on the ship who asked the HGM.

I'm back from my roll call and have found out that at least on the Caribbean Princess, the log is no longer provided, as confirmed by someone still on the ship who asked the HGM.

Another cutback of something that made a Princess cruise special.

On a different cruise line, we ordered a navigational chart of our Antarctica journey from the photo shop, for around $75. True, it is not signed by officers, but it makes a great memory from our trip. Not sure if Princess does this, as I have not looked for one on other sailings, but I know some of you sail other lines, so I wanted to mention this as a place to check.

I tried to upload a photo of it after framing, but not sure if I'm doing that correctly.

AntarticaMap.JPG.dbafe8f0ddda19a457cd0046d2b6cf43.JPG

Not to burst anyone's bubble but what you have there is a Map of your cruise not a Navigatonal Chart.

A navigational chart shows hydrographic data (water depth, underwater hazards etc.), Navigational Aids (Lights, bouys, etc.) basic land forms (points, coves, harbors) etc. A navigational chart of a cruise would show actual course lines, fixes taken etc. Navigation Charts are large scale (show great detail) so many pages would be needed to cover a cruise.

I might pay $1,200 for the actual navigational chart(s) of my cruise but they probably don't exist since navigation these days is done on electronic charts. As someone pointed out, you can buy a small scale map that covers your cruise and draw the line yourself for a lot less.

Hi,

The chart that I purchased during my Mexican Riviera cruise on the Ruby Princess in November 2015 is extremely detailed and includes water depths, small harbors, tiny islands, etc. The map is large scale and only covers a portion of the west coast of California and Mexico. Also, the ship's route has been indicated on the chart. The chart also lists the ship's particulars, the distance between each port, the average speed traveled between each port, and has been signed by the officers. This information was added to the chart by clear adhesive plastic sheets. I think this was a great souvenir of the cruise and enjoy looking at regularly.

Chuck

• Like 1

Not to burst anyone's bubble but what you have there is a Map of your cruise not a Navigatonal Chart.

A navigational chart shows hydrographic data (water depth, underwater hazards etc.), Navigational Aids (Lights, bouys, etc.) basic land forms (points, coves, harbors) etc. A navigational chart of a cruise would show actual course lines, fixes taken etc. Navigation Charts are large scale (show great detail) so many pages would be needed to cover a cruise.

I might pay $1,200 for the actual navigational chart(s) of my cruise but they probably don't exist since navigation these days is done on electronic charts. As someone pointed out, you can buy a small scale map that covers your cruise and draw the line yourself for a lot less.

Of course it is.

I have seen it done as a silent auction. I tried to get it but the auctioneer changed to a live auction after the guy that sat beside the bid sheet that would bid after someone bidded complained that I was going to be the last bid. After the switch I ran it up to 3x what it was at the switch and he was stuck paying that high amount

I have heard anywhere from $600 to $1,700, since it is an auction.

Can you imagine if princess created charts like this, and offered them for sale in the

onboard shops for $1000?

The screaming here would be unbearable.

They would have to include a nice Bijoux Terner watch...

On CB received the “Log of the cruise” from Stewart this morning. All you have to do is ask him/her.