Decline in food quality?

unclebobg

I hate to break it to you, but carved meats are not nearly as big of a deal as you are making them out to be. I'd agree that MSC is doing a great job at offering a differentiated experience for a great price. However, you have to realize that there is more to food offerings than cost control. There is also demand.

MSC adds a heavy european flair to their product. That is good for the snobs, but that is not what the mass market wants. If everyone wanted the MSC experience, Carnival would change their product. The sales numbers don't lie. I like a few good fancy meals here and there. However, if you don't think the average American would love a quick, quality burger or taco, you are kidding yourself.

Carved meats take me back to my childhood Sunday dinners. Meat and potatoes. And along with that comes floral print drapes, grandfather clocks and dads wearing shirts and ties all day long...even on their days off. Those days are over...thankfully.

We like the MDR...and some of the food is quite good to me (the Salmon is excellent..ordered it 3 out of 6 MDR meals on our last cruise). We like to be waited on, we like to slow down (to a point) and it gives us a daily "anchor" during the cruise to share discussion with our kids. More to a cruise than food...much more.

You hit the nail on the head. The late Leroy J. Alexanderson, Commodore of U.S. Lines and last Master of the SS United States told me in answer to my question: " The food was quite good but sometimes I just wanted a good, juicy cheeseburger." Thanks for the memory from 1992.

It is starting to sound from the majority, that Carnival can do what it likes with the buffet and MDR, they're not that important anymore, as long as there's a decent burger and taco option. What if these stations switched back to steak sandwiches and Mongolian Woks, would you expect Carnival to up their game elsewhere again?

I think that the majority opinion is that Carnival offers multiple options. Those options are designed to appeal to as wide a range of passengers as possible. That strategy makes sense as Carnival wants to make their cruises work for as wide of an audience as possible.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Forums mobile app

What if these stations switched back to steak sandwiches and Mongolian Woks, would you expect Carnival to up their game elsewhere again?

We loved the Mongolian Wok but can understand why Carnival got rid of it. It took way too long to prepare the food and you ended up with a long, long line of people. Guy's Burgers and the Blue Iguana serve a lot more people a lot faster.

It is starting to sound from the majority, that Carnival can do what it likes with the buffet and MDR, they're not that important anymore, as long as there's a decent burger and taco option. What if these stations switched back to steak sandwiches and Mongolian Woks, would you expect Carnival to up their game elsewhere again?

My story's moral is that even a ship's captain gets tired of fancy food and likes a good burger now and then. Mmmk?

I say look at MSC. The new MSC Seaside has the best pricing for a cruise right now. Their food was exellent in the MDR and the buffet was vast, delicious, and included carvings all the time. MSC is offering this with lower pricing than Carnival. Don't tell me Carnival can't .....

You like MSC, that's great because I do too. But MSC itineraries suck comparing to Carnival. It's always the same old same old Caribbean ports. Going there once is enough regardless of what gourmet entrees are served in MSC MDR. Carnival on the other hand has a much better all-rounded product including good selection of itinerates, pricing, shareholder OBC with very consistent quarterly dividend and yes, a balanced and diverse menu well received by its customers. So ask yourself why Carnival should change its successful and profitable business model just because you and a few disgruntled posters are not happy with its product. It's not going to happen. So sorry.

My story's moral is that even a ship's captain gets tired of fancy food and likes a good burger now and then. Mmmk?

I get it, but it was meant for the person you were replying to as well, who thinks people just want burgers and tacos now. We've even had someone on here call MSC cruisers snobs, over buffet pasta offerings. It just seems like we're setting the bar low here...

Don't get me wrong, I crave a burger or pizza a couple times during a 7 day cruise myself, but it's not what I want 95% of the time. I can eat junk at home.

We loved the Mongolian Wok but can understand why Carnival got rid of it. It took way too long to prepare the food and you ended up with a long, long line of people. Guy's Burgers and the Blue Iguana serve a lot more people a lot faster.

Even after the monstrous line, I wasn't overly impressed with the taste of the food from the Wok. To be honest, I would actually prefer a "chinese buffet" style instead. Put out some premade chicken, beef, pork, options with some vegetables, lo mein, rice, etc.

I get it, but it was meant for the person you were replying to as well, who thinks people just want burgers and tacos now. We've even had someone on here call MSC cruisers snobs, over buffet pasta offerings. It just seems like we're setting the bar low here...

Don't get me wrong, I crave a burger or pizza a couple times during a 7 day cruise myself, but it's not what I want 95% of the time. I can eat junk at home.

All I'm saying is people are overwhelmingly choosing the Carnival product over MSC for a reason. Call it whatever you want as to why. Personally, I absolutely love the fun environment and food. After a while, it becomes tiring about hearing about there always being something better. If I drink a big name, light, beer in front of a bunch of people, it doesn't take long to hear about why my choice is inferior. It happens with everything. Clothes, cars, food, electronics, vacations, etc. Yes, it is snobbery.

MSC offers a fine product, and I'm even in the market to book a cruise with them even though they are very limited in choice at the moment. Their status match program is generous, and tempting. Sure more people should branch out and try more products. The recommendations are nice to a point.

To me, and many others, there is much more to a vacation than fine dining. We understand what exists. We understand what we are getting.

I have only been cursing since 2008 all on Carnival, for me, I started to see the decline in food quality in 2014, now don't get me wrong, I do not go hungry. But the MDR (dinner) is not what it use to be, some of it is the new menu options, and the quality of those options are not good.

I do love the specialty food choices, one of my favorites is the seafood shack, it was awesome on the Liberty, the Guy's burgers never disappoint. But it is a fare observations to some of us that the food in the MDR has declined

With that said, Carnival is still the best bang for your buck!!!