Last 2019 sailing date fo Mediterranean Odyssey - bad idea? Bad experience on Rhine

mk423

Hello!

We have done Rhine River, Viking Homelands and are now booking Mediterranean Odyssey. When we did the Rhine it was the last sailing date for that year and by midweek they were running out of things- no Diet Coke, no favorite drink for our table companions, ran low on menu options some nights..was this an isolated experience? It was the only negative we have ever had with Viking. Now we like the Nov sailing date next year for the Med Od Ocean cruise but it is the last one of the year and we do NOT want to run in to the same problem. Any input greatly appreciated.

I’m not really sure I understand how the “last sailing” of a particular ocean itinerary would impact supplies on an Ocean cruise. Your Mediterranean Odysey cruise may be the last (or only) cruise of that itinerary on a particular ship, but that ship will immediately set sail on another itinerary somewhere else and the supplies on board should not be affected. Maybe some river ships end a season and I could see that affecting supply levels, but that shouldn’t be the situation with ocean cruises — they are always going somewhere. I’ve never personally experienced any kind of shortage on any of the Ocean cruises I’ve been on, but I guess the location of a particular ship could affect the types of supplies on board, particularly with food items, but then I think local sourcing of some food or drink items might be considered a “feature” not a problem. In any event, and just based on my experience, I don’t think you should have any problems with inadequate supplies on your cruise.

We have friends who had the same issues on an "end of season" Viking River Cruise. Supplies ran low or ran out for certain items. Since it was the last cruise of the season, they were told that the crew were trying to use up the supplies on hand. Most river cruises stop at the end of December (or earlier) and are not in use again until March, April or even May. For that reason, we would not want to take a river cruise for the last, or possibly the last 2-3 sailings.

Viking Ocean ships cruise year round so you should not run into this problem. When one itinerary ends, the next one starts right up.

The only time we have ever run into problems with a certain food or beverage item running low has been due to factors such as a disruption in supply available (hurricanes, strikes, etc.) or unusual demand by passengers for a certain item.

The last was a problem on oner cruise where cream needed to be rationed. There was a group on board that considered cream to be the only thing to use on breakfast cereals, to drink or use in other beverages. Because the cream was available in a dispensing machine, each member of the group would fill glasses with the cream at breakfast and at other times of the day.

By the fourth day of the eleven day cruise, cream was only available upon request in the buffet and was given only in amounts to use in a cup of coffee or tea. Luckily. service was fast and prompt and the servers knew which of us would need the cream for the coffee and would be bringing it to us as we sat down.

Not to worry... As said by others, food services and supplies do not change on the last cruise of the itinerary.

One thing does change... the gift shop ! If the next ship destinations are in a different region they will virtually give away any location unique inventory. The Coliseum, Forum and leaning tower replicas don't sell in the West Indies. On a recent Iceland cruise with the next leg being Spain the overpriced windbreakers and Arctic Circle sweatshirts were being sold at about 10% of the original prices.

At the end of the season, what does change is onshore shopping, which becomes a buyers' market. By this time, some of the shops in tourist traps will already have closed, but others are desperately trying to shift the last of their stock. They know when the ships stop coming. The choice may be limited, but the opportunity for haggling is immense, especially for items of higher value, eg leather, jewellery, designer wear, homeware, and big discounts are possible (>50%), especially if you are the last ship of the year. Be prepared to harden your heart, walk away and have the shop management run after you!!