Best Beach for a newbie

Newmrsvega

I have been to Cozumel once before, however my husband has never been and I want to take him to a beach that will be memorable. It will be much more for the view, maybe walking on the beach etc. He doesn't swim but will enjoy an "experience". Which beach would you recommend?

Palancar Beach if you just want to stay at one place.

If you don’t want to swim or stay put I would hire a driver for the day. We pre-reserve ToursPlaza (or you can get a taxi from the pier for a set number of hours) and take a ride round the island and experience many different beaches. The east side of the island is much different - more rustic, wild beaches compared to the more touristy beach bars of the west side and it would be good to experience both. On the east side I would suggest Punta Morena, Coconuts(for view), Chen Rio, Rasta’s, El Mirador, blow holes, Punta Sur and on the west side Palancar, Paradise ($3pp entrance and $10 food and drink minimum, although we have stopped for a drink and look round and not been charged that). Google these names for photos.

Punta Sur can also be an enjoyable day if you google. Again I would have a driver who will stay with you. There is an entrance charge but you can climb the lighthouse and explore the coastline. Unfortunately the east side is experiencing the sargassum problem that is presently affecting much of the Caribbean so conditions may vary depending on when you are going.

Edited by c-leg5

Or skip the beach and private tours and sign up for the Cozumel Bar hop tour -- see lots of the island while enjoying some fun bars and great views. :cool:

That’s a good alternative, especially cost wise for two people.

It is a fun and well organized tour.

The only problem right now is since it only stops at beaches on the east side you don’t have the flexibility to change to a west side beach if the seaweed is bad.

Tulum is one of the best beaches in the Caribbean if you have time to get there

To get there from Coz requires a ferry ride to Playa del Carmen and then a long taxi/bus/shuttle ride - then you need to get back. To much to do/enjoy on Cozumel to spend that much time travelling to/from IMHO -- your cruise and your call. ;)

To get there from Coz requires a ferry ride to Playa del Carmen and then a long taxi/bus/shuttle ride - then you need to get back. To much to do/enjoy on Cozumel to spend that much time travelling to/from IMHO -- your cruise and your call. ;)

hence the if you have time comment, guess you missed it.

We just spent 10 days in Coz. Playa Palancar and Buccanos were our two favorite "beach" hangouts. Money Bar is also great, but there isn't any sand - rocky beach with good food and drinks.

What is the current policy for Buccanos? Is it still different for land and cruise visitors. Two of our favorites too but we will only visit Buccanos if we are staying on the island.

• 2 weeks later...
Palancar Beach if you just want to stay at one place.

If you don’t want to swim or stay put I would hire a driver for the day. We pre-reserve ToursPlaza (or you can get a taxi from the pier for a set number of hours) and take a ride round the island and experience many different beaches. The east side of the island is much different - more rustic, wild beaches compared to the more touristy beach bars of the west side and it would be good to experience both. On the east side I would suggest Punta Morena, Coconuts(for view), Chen Rio, Rasta’s, El Mirador, blow holes, Punta Sur and on the west side Palancar, Paradise ($3pp entrance and $10 food and drink minimum, although we have stopped for a drink and look round and not been charged that). Google these names for photos.

Punta Sur can also be an enjoyable day if you google. Again I would have a driver who will stay with you. There is an entrance charge but you can climb the lighthouse and explore the coastline. Unfortunately the east side is experiencing the sargassum problem that is presently affecting much of the Caribbean so conditions may vary depending on when you are going.

Tours plaza is great and I highly recommending driving the unspoiled coast and enjoying those beaches. Personally much better than an AI beach day. IMG_3575.thumb.jpg.03a42e1f18456d3faf59a65b552c5008.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums