Half full ships?

Silverhairedbee

With so many things wrong on Concordia, it's hard to compare.

The captain didn't give the order to abandon ship until over an hour after impact. If the lifeboats were launched when they were supposed to be launched, the outcome would have been much better (fewer, if any, casualties).

Concordia listed because part of the ship ran aground, while the other part of the ship was still free floating in water.

Looked at some RCCL and CCL cruises for Sept. Seems they’re all selling slowly. Must be school starting.

I still say they’ll all sail full, eventually!

With so many things wrong on Concordia, it's hard to compare.

The captain didn't give the order to abandon ship until over an hour after impact. If the lifeboats were launched when they were supposed to be launched, the outcome would have been much better (fewer, if any, casualties).

Understood. The point was, it's not guaranteed that all boats will launch.

I can't remember when/where, but, during a lifeboat test I saw what I am pretty sure is a boat get stuck going down such that they never did launch it. I wondered at the time what would have happened if that was full of people...

Thanks, Dave. I’ll take a look. I haven’t been following it since I booked. School just started. So, I think all the cruise lines are looking at these Sept sailings with pricing corrections in mind.

Hope to see you on board!

I am sure we will. We are in a Haven Courtyard Penthouse as well, deck 16. Really looking forward to this, as we have not been on a cruise since 2002.

Do you mind sharing which cruise this is?

Getaway, 9/9 sailing.

Just an FYI: When my wife and I went to St. Thomas in 2013 during this same week, the resort manager told us that they averaged 96% occupancy during the rest of the year, except this week and the next in September when they only average 25-30%. We also found the same thing for many years when our kids were growing up taking them to the Orlando themeparks every year at the same time. The parks and hotels would be very empty, with multiple attractions under maintenance. These two weeks are normally very slow for tourism, particularly in the traditional "hurricane" zones.

Concordia listed because part of the ship ran aground, while the other part of the ship was still free floating in water.

Concordia listed to the port side first then after the 180 turn, listed to the starboard side. IF the abandon ship order was given correctly, the lifeboats on both sides could have launched before the listing was a problem.

Understood. The point was, it's not guaranteed that all boats will launch.

Obviously, nothing is guaranteed. It's just that smart decisions can increase the chances of success.

I can't remember when/where, but, during a lifeboat test I saw what I am pretty sure is a boat get stuck going down such that they never did launch it. I wondered at the time what would have happened if that was full of people...
That's why they test. The crew are actually risking their life during those tests (there have been fatalities) but it's better to test when there is no emergency vs. finding a problem during an emergency.

Since NCL substantially increased their prices in the European market I would be interested to know if the ships are leaving full.

Certainly the Dec/Jan cruises we are used to enjoying are still nearly double the price they were last year.

Given that MSC are matching loyalty levels and are still very competitive have many leapt ship to them?

I am not asking about value here as I know cruising is very personal.

Interesting question because I just booked a last minute cruise ... actually a B2B with NCL. It leaves 09/08/18 from NYC to Quebec. I grabbed it because I am solo and there were NO solo supplements/costs. I got the per person rate for both cruises. It was a GTY because it was so last minute, fine, fully understand that. Once I booked I was given a cabin # ... and then an immediate offer to bid on an upgrade!??! How is that possible when it appeared they were trying to fill the last of, worst of cabins that were left.

Interesting question because I just booked a last minute cruise ... actually a B2B with NCL. It leaves 09/08/18 from NYC to Quebec. I grabbed it because I am solo and there were NO solo supplements/costs. I got the per person rate for both cruises. It was a GTY because it was so last minute, fine, fully understand that. Once I booked I was given a cabin # ... and then an immediate offer to bid on an upgrade!??! How is that possible when it appeared they were trying to fill the last of, worst of cabins that were left.
There are lots of cabins still available on those sailings,they use that inside sailaway rate as a way to get people to book at the low price without perks.

They would rather have you bid and pay for an upgrade,so they can try to sell the cabin they assigned you, to someone else at that rock bottom rate. They will keep doing that until they can fill the ship.

With less than a month left, the prices will probably drop again in the coming days.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Forums mobile app

Over capacity?

Really?

[emoji849]

It happens all the time. Capacity is defined as two people per cabin if the cabin holds two or more, and one person in things like studios. Ships very often sail over capacity when the 3rd and 4th passengers are included.

graphicguy, so far our upcoming cruise looks like it may not be full. There are still some categories that are barely at or slightly above 50% sold. I have been keeping track for quite a while and, unless they do some last minute deep discounts and marketing, I think we may have lucked out by having a "light" load. (yn)

There is no way for you to determine how many cabins are open unless you are a TA, and have access to the entire booking system. You can count on your voyage sailing close to or slightly over 100% capacity.

There is no way for you to determine how many cabins are open unless you are a TA, and have access to the entire booking system. You can count on your voyage sailing close to or slightly over 100% capacity.
Even a TA couldn't account for gty cabins in play, that have yet to be assigned.

Obviously, nothing is guaranteed.

Which is precisely why I said that I hope kochleffel's statement about maximum capacity being lifeboat capacity and if every berth was full they would exceed lifeboat capacity was wrong.

Which is precisely why I said that I hope kochleffel's statement about maximum capacity being lifeboat capacity and if every berth was full they would exceed lifeboat capacity was wrong.

chengkp would be a better source for this but my understanding is that the total number of humans onboard plus 25% is the minimum number of seats for lifeboats + life rafts. In other words, there is some wiggle room.

chengkp would be a better source for this but my understanding is that the total number of humans onboard plus 25% is the minimum number of seats for lifeboats + life rafts. In other words, there is some wiggle room.
My understanding as well, as I stated in post #24.

Getaway, 9/9 sailing.

Just an FYI: When my wife and I went to St. Thomas in 2013 during this same week, the resort manager told us that they averaged 96% occupancy during the rest of the year, except this week and the next in September when they only average 25-30%. We also found the same thing for many years when our kids were growing up taking them to the Orlando themeparks every year at the same time. The parks and hotels would be very empty, with multiple attractions under maintenance. These two weeks are normally very slow for tourism, particularly in the traditional "hurricane" zones.

Makes sense. I looked at some Sept sailings on both Carnival and Royal. Both had plenty of cabins left. So, apparently, once school starts, families (at least in the U.S.) aren't sailing.

Also explains the good rates I saw when I was looking to book.

I'm sure we'll find each other in the Haven. Looking forward to it.

Actually, I just pulled out my luggage today to start planning on what I need to take.

Going light this cruise, made possible by Freestyle. Only one pair of long pants given my dinner at LeBistro. Only one dress shirt, too for the same reason. The rest will be workout clothes, shorts and short sleeve shirts. Taking a 22" carry on and a back pack for everything. Will check nothing, even at the dock.

Look forward to meeting in person!

Edited by graphicguy

Concordia listed to the port side first then after the 180 turn, listed to the starboard side. IF the abandon ship order was given correctly, the lifeboats on both sides could have launched before the listing was a problem.

Thanks...didn't remember all the details. I do remember it was quite the "covfefe".

I know it listed. And, I remember seeing only one side which looked like it was on a reef of some sort.

As far as the rest of it, I remember the Captain leaving the ship before all the passengers and crew. I remember his trial. Last I heard he was being held on house arrest. Not sure if he ever went to jail, if he's still in jail, or what he's doing these days (hopefully not the Captain of any maritime vessel).

I was on the Gem in 2016, when one shipboard acquaintance had a problem with her toilet not flushing. She complained the first day at the front desk and supposedly the cabin steward made an attempt to get it right. When she went to bed it was still not working properly. Next morning she went back to the front desk and asked to be moved because it was unacceptable. She was told the ship was full.

While standing in line to get our name tags on Day 2 @ M & G, she starting telling me and another passenger about the ongoing dilemma. With her raised voice because she was upset, one of the officers overheard it and called her to the side. There was a small huddle with a few officers. Anyway, to make a long story shorter, when I met her at the solo gathering later, she told me they had moved her to a different cabin and gave her both a bottle of wine & dinner for 2 at Le Bistro. So even though the ship was sold out as the front desk rep had stated, an unoccupied room appeared out of thin air.

Edited by IrieBajan54
add text

. So even though the ship was sold out as the front desk rep had stated, an unoccupied room appeared out of thin air.

I think the standard answer from guest services will always be no rooms, because they don't want to deal with pax constantly asking.

There are probably no shows and last min cancellations that ship officers could have knowledge about,in the event that an extra room is needed.

Haha, name one thing the captain did correctly other than save himself first.

Interline rates are a secret most cruise lines use to fill ships last minute at hugely discounted rates. I think just saying 'interline' on CC is enough to get this post deleted. It really is a guarded secret.

and for good reason plus, let me add, believe it or not, the interline rate is not always as good as some are led to believe, plus it isn't always available.