Northern Lights?

Gemini1961

We will be traveling on the Pearl - to Alaska - leaving 9/30 - which is the last cruise of the year - Has anyone ever seen the northern lights on this cruise? We are hoping by going as late in the year as possible we will increase our odds.

The biggest problem you will have is weather and latitude. The furthest north the Pearl goes in Skagway. While it is entirely possible to see it from Skagway the further north you go the better the chance in Alaska. Here is a link to a good site that will give you some indication of if you'll be able to see it or not.

http://auroraforecast.gi.alaska.edu/

My wife & I were in Alaska for a few days in 2016 (not a cruise). We didn't see any lights while driving around Alaska.

We had a 9pm flight on 10/2 out of Anchorage - heading back to the East Coast. We saw the lights for several hours once our plane took off. It was really cool. So you may luck out if you've got a late evening flight after the cruise.

It may very well be tough to see the Northern Lights even in the darkest regions of Alaska

WHILE AT SEA and with twilight reflection off the waters

All the deck and mast lighting would have to be extinguished - way too much ambient lighting.

Much like living like I do in a major metropolitan area the Northern Lights can be seen but

one must be out in the urban rural areas far and away from the - city lights - street lights -

parking lot lighting - mall lights - and the list goes on and on.

That little house on the prairie would be ideal.

The lights when seen put on a dazzling show.

Why don't you ask the HD if they will start a phone call set up for people who want to be woken should the Lights appear. They did that for us but there were no lights at any time.

I got the idea from a hotel in Fairbanks that offered that service.

We got to see the lights on a cruise 4 years ago in late April, but they were not very bright from the ship (even in the dark areas up on deck) but the photographer on board took some spectacular photos. It's possible, not probable

Gemini -

It's possible - if there's a clear sky & there is minimal light pollution from the ship. Even in the summer there are solar flares - which are seen as far south as Texas. Once you eliminate the weather & the light pollution, the strength of the solar flare & overall activity will determine your potential. As others have mentioned - lights seem to be more prevalent in Alaska in the late night hours. We generally look out the window anytime we wake up during the night, to see if we have any Aurora Activity.

Good Luck on seeing our gorgeous Northern Lights...

Cheers -- Von & John

We will be traveling on the Pearl - to Alaska - leaving 9/30 - which is the last cruise of the year - Has anyone ever seen the northern lights on this cruise? We are hoping by going as late in the year as possible we will increase our odds.
Here is a thread on Celebrity: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2671917

Why don't you ask the HD if they will start a phone call set up for people who want to be woken should the Lights appear. They did that for us but there were no lights at any time.

I got the idea from a hotel in Fairbanks that offered that service.

Bad idea to depend on someone calling you. Far superior to be proactive and get yourself out frequently. You need to DAILY check the prediction stats needing at least-active. The you need clear dark skies. Meaning you can see stars. I’ve seen aurora numerous times but only once from a cruise ship. (With over 60 Alaska cruises)