Seeking advice on when to book

Unibok

Appealing to the wisdom and experience of this board, I am wondering about strategies for booking your next SS voyage.

My past practice has been to wait until I am onboard for the extra 5% discount for on-board booking. Since my next SS cruise isn't until February -- 6 months from now -- should I be nervous about waiting until I am onboard? I have a B2B in mind for March/April 2020. As I understand it, the B2B qualifies each segment for an additional 5% reduction, one of the segments is a Venetian sailing, and I tend to pay off early for the added 10% reduction. Onboard booking takes of another 5%. These little bits add up for me, especially since I generally cruise solo, and try to offset the 25% increase as much as possible.

How do you all handle it? Under what conditions do you wait for onboard booking, and under what conditions do you jump on an itinerary you love just to get a space on the ship? Oh respected voices of experience, do you have any advice to share?

Appealing to the wisdom and experience of this board, I am wondering about strategies for booking your next SS voyage.

My past practice has been to wait until I am onboard for the extra 5% discount for on-board booking. Since my next SS cruise isn't until February -- 6 months from now -- should I be nervous about waiting until I am onboard? I have a B2B in mind for March/April 2020. As I understand it, the B2B qualifies each segment for an additional 5% reduction, one of the segments is a Venetian sailing, and I tend to pay off early for the added 10% reduction. Onboard booking takes of another 5%. These little bits add up for me, especially since I generally cruise solo, and try to offset the 25% increase as much as possible.

How do you all handle it? Under what conditions do you wait for onboard booking, and under what conditions do you jump on an itinerary you love just to get a space on the ship? Oh respected voices of experience, do you have any advice to share?

I think I would book now. I understand that the 5% onboard discount is attractive. But it may be offset by significant increases in the base cost, the single supplement, etc. in the next six months. I think that matters regarding pricing are particularly uncertain now given the recent close of the purchase of the majority share in Silversea by RCCL. I doubt that fare adjustments in the coming months will be downwards. In fact, I think that Silversea now offers very attractive pricing for solos (at least by comparison with lines like Regent and Seabourn). My advice: Go for it!

I agree with Observer, book now, but either ask SS or get your TA to ask if you can have the equivalent of the 5% Onboard Booking as an OBC.

I would also suggest you take out an open booking when you are next onboard to cover this eventuality for the future.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The open booking is good for six months and is fully refundable. No fee for cancellation.

I wonder if you could book now and then -- if it makes financial sense when you are on your next cruise -- to cancel that cruise and rebook with the 5%? There is a $200 fee per booking for cancellations, but it can be applied to a forthcoming cruise within a certain period.

Shortly after returning from the Wind cruise in March we booked another one for October 2020. This was booked and paid for in April.

The base price at that time was circa £5100pp for the suite we wanted, but with the early booking discount and Venetian discount it was reduced to £4300pp. The current going rate for the same suite is, with EBD applied, £6030!

This ‘discount’ applies until the end of August when I fully expect fares to rise a further 10%, at which point another EBD will be applied?

We are looking at booking another one for September 2020, but more than likely NOT with Silversea …. Nothing to do with the end product I hasten to add …. I just have issues with the attitude of corporate management towards their customers, a subject which is way out of the remit of this thread!

Back to the point, within the next few weeks Silversea will be releasing the 2020 itineraries that interest us, and if we do choose to book with them then it will be effectively 2 years ahead of sailing date as we would expect fares to rise at least 50% before we sail in October 2019.

I think that makes sense .... but it is early [emoji42]

Mike

Sent from the magic box!

Very helpful advice, gentlemen, thank you! It would never have occurred to me to ask for the 5% as an OBC, so I will do that.

My gut sense was troubled for all the reasons Observer notes, so with your guidance I now have a plan: book the B2B now, ask for something to balance out the 5% I'm losing by not booking onboard, and when I sail again in February book something new that might be reconfigured later.

Y'all are the best, thank you.

We sailed on the Shadow in Alaska this year and are booked on the Spirit for next October. I have been dealing directly with a SS representative.

Before I booked the Alaska cruise, I asked the rep if he could provide something extra to "sweeten the pot". He immediately offered roughly 5% of the cruise fare per person OBC, which certainly came in handy.

For the Spirit booking, I simply asked for some OBC and he again threw in the 5% pp. I believe SS agents are authorized to include the 5% OBC if asked. He didn't even have to check with his boss.

Good luck!

Thank you, all! Update: I booked yesterday just in case prices would rise on the first day of the month. My SS rep was very thorough in trying every combination of the B2B to get me the best possible price with all the permutations. I’m happy with where we ended up, and now have another exciting voyage to anticipate. Thank you again for your encouragement and guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you, all! Update: I booked yesterday just in case prices would rise on the first day of the month. My SS rep was very thorough in trying every combination of the B2B to get me the best possible price with all the permutations. I’m happy with where we ended up, and now have another exciting voyage to anticipate. Thank you again for your encouragement and guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pleased to see you are booked following the excellent advice received.One more tip to share after booking made is keep a check on the website for up to date prices.We have had two cruises of 37 and 15 days respectively booked and paid for for May and August 2019 since late 2017.Checked on website last week resulted in one of the cruises costing much less than we booked.Refund of difference arranged by T/A on our behalf.The other cruise now much more expensive so no action necessary.

Checked on website last week resulted in one of the cruises costing much less than we booked.Refund of difference arranged by T/A on our behalf.The other cruise now much more expensive so no action necessary.

Can someone please let me know how to check the website for price decreases? Whenever I get the website, I just see "prices from $X,XXX" and "Request a quote." Is there a way to see more transparent information without talking to a TA?

Thank you.

Can someone please let me know how to check the website for price decreases? Whenever I get the website, I just see "prices from $X,XXX" and "Request a quote." Is there a way to see more transparent information without talking to a TA?

There's no way to "see" it necessarily, but I do keep track of the math for the lowest priced suite. As an example, my upcoming cruise was listed as Vista suite with 10% Early Booking Bonus at something like $5800 USD when I booked. Over time, that same Vista with Early Booking Bonus went up to $7200 USD, and now is listed as $17,300 for the least expensive available option -- a Silver Suite.

Likewise, my Alaska cruise has gone from $4800 USD to $6400 for a Vista with Early Booking Bonus since I booked it. I find tracking the Vistas to be an easy way to watch for price changes.

There's no way to "see" it necessarily, but I do keep track of the math for the lowest priced suite. As an example, my upcoming cruise was listed as Vista suite with 10% Early Booking Bonus at something like $5800 USD when I booked. Over time, that same Vista with Early Booking Bonus went up to $7200 USD, and now is listed as $17,300 for the least expensive available option -- a Silver Suite.

Likewise, my Alaska cruise has gone from $4800 USD to $6400 for a Vista with Early Booking Bonus since I booked it. I find tracking the Vistas to be an easy way to watch for price changes.

Thank you!

I say book as early as possible.

The 10% Early Booking Bonus is a duplicitous marketing ploy and the 'expiry date' will most likely be extended... over and over again. However, it can be withdrawn at any time, as can a reduced (usually 25%) single supplement. Plus, there is the Silversea Fare Guarantee Programme that states guests "can also benefit from any future reduction in the Silver Privilege Fares for their voyage, upon request."

The vast majority of fares go up, and/or lower suite categories are booked out, and/or the EBB disappears, and/or a reduced single supplement disappears. In the unlikely event the fare is reduced, you can claim under the guarantee programme.

I booked my cruise a year ago when a Vista Suite was $9,900 pp with the 10% EBB and a 25% single supplement = $12,375 (solo).

If I were to book today, there is still a 10% EBB . However, the Vista Suites have sold out and the 25% single supplement has disappeared. The least expensive room (Veranda Suite) is $13,230 pp = $21,375 (solo).

Good question.We always travel midship Vista out of preference so the from price on the website refers to Vista suites.Proceed to quote for a different suite category you sail in for a comparison with your original booking.Your T/A should oblige and if on the ball will be aware of such beneficial reductions.Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...