People opinions on Norwegian Jade?

FSU Girl

I read through the reviews on cruise critic and some are good and some are bad, but I always feel like those reviews can be extreme since people typically write those if something was really good or bad. I feel like on the forum you get more real responses

I’m thinking of going on the 11 day cruise from Rome to the Greek Isles. It only has one sea day so I suppose the ship won’t matter that much?

I read through the reviews on cruise critic and some are good and some are bad, but I always feel like those reviews can be extreme since people typically write those if something was really good or bad. I feel like on the forum you get more real responses

I’m thinking of going on the 11 day cruise from Rome to the Greek Isles. It only has one sea day so I suppose the ship won’t matter that much?

I'll let you know after my November cruise!

I’ve been on The Jade twice. First time we really enjoyed it, and I felt it was much improved after last years dry dock.

Really nice ship. I am struggling to thing of any negatives. Probably it has my least favourite o’Sheehans (not very good for just having a drink), but there are plenty of other bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jade is my favorite ship. We’ve sailed on her three times and would book another in a heartbeat.

With that many ports, the ship does become less important, but I think the mega ship bells and whistles are pointless if you’re off the ship all day.

I always ignore the lowest reviews (complainers) and the highest reviews (easy to please.) That said, I wrote good reviews for our trips.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

These are all great things to hear! Is there a way to see when looking at the itinerary if the port requires tendering? Will it say it if it does?

It can vary from cruise to cruise, often depending on what other ships are in port.

Santorini always tenders. Some others, such as Mykonos, can vary.

If you list your ports then we may be able to give some guidance, but for some ports you may not know for sure until even the day before.

It can vary from cruise to cruise, often depending on what other ships are in port.

Santorini always tenders. Some others, such as Mykonos, can vary.

If you list your ports then we may be able to give some guidance, but for some ports you may not know for sure until even the day before.

If we book an excursion through the ship would we get priority to get off the ship? Some of the reviews for this ship mention taking a really long time to disembark when tendering

The itinerary for the cruise is:

Departs from Rome

Sea day

Santorini

Athens

Mykonos

Rhodes

Crete

Malta

Sicily

Naples

Florence

Ends in Rome

If we book an excursion through the ship would we get priority to get off the ship? Some of the reviews for this ship mention taking a really long time to disembark when tendering

The itinerary for the cruise is:

Departs from Rome

Sea day

Santorini

Athens

Mykonos

Rhodes

Crete

Malta

Sicily

Naples

Florence

Ends in Rome

Yes, if you have a ship excursion then they will direct you to the tenders.

Delays in tendering are more influenced by the port than the ship. The Jade is currently doing different ports so any current reports won’t be all that relevant. Edinburgh, for example, can be very slow to tender but that obviously won’t affect you.

For your ports:

Santorini - definite tender

Athens - dock

Mykonos - sometimes tenders (although I’ve been there 3 times and always docked).

Rhodes - I believe this always docked (we did and there were other ships also docked).

Crete - i believe always docks (we did).

Malta & Sicily - not been myself

Naples - docks

Florence - docks

I don’t think that tendering will be too much of an issue for you.

Delays in tendering are more influenced by the port than the ship. The Jade is currently doing different ports so any current reports won’t be all that relevant. Edinburgh, for example, can be very slow to tender but that obviously won’t affect you.

For your ports:

Athens - dock

Mykonos - sometimes tenders (although I’ve been there 3 times and always docked).

Rhodes - I believe this always docked (we did and there were other ships also docked).

Naples - docks

Florence - docks

Thanks! I did notice all the reviews coming out of this ship were from Northern Europe.

For your ports:

Athens - dock

Naples - docks

Florence - docks

I am glad to hear this as we have a group doing the 10 day Greece/Italy cruise on September 12, 2019. Any other information that anyone has is appreciated!

I am glad to hear this as we have a group doing the 10 day Greece/Italy cruise on September 12, 2019. Any other information that anyone has is appreciated!

That would be the cruise right after ours if we decide to go :)

I've sailed on the Jade twice now, in 2018 and 2017. Both after her refurbishment in 2017.

What I liked:

• The ship felt very modern thanks to its contemporary new decor, carpets and fabrics. She certainly doesn't feel 12 years old.
  • Moderno & Sugarcane Mojito Bar (the same venue) are wonderful. The salad bars went on forever (don't fill up before the meat) and the cocktails and cosy seating in Sugarcane were lovely.
  • Spinnaker Lounge was my favourite spot on the ship. Huge lounge bar right at the top and front of the ship. Amazing 270 degree sea views, comfy sofas and excellent bar service.
  • Lovely wide promenade deck - accessed via the main atrium. Order yourself a nice champagne cocktail, or a hot chocolate and then head out onto the Promenade deck for a stroll, or follow round it to the back of the ship and overlook the wake.
  • The cabins are all looking great, they were almost entirely re-done in the 2017 refurb. New contemporary decor & fabrics, new carpets, new beside lamps with USB charging sockets.
  • The Great Outdoors. Go into the garden cafe. Grab your food. Walk through the garden cafe. Keep walking. Keep walking. Then keep walking some more. You'll eventually end up outside with an amazing covered outdoor seating area. Great to eat lunch or breakfast with some fresh air and a view. There's even a nice bar here too.

What I didn't like (but could live with, because come on it's a cruise!):

• Having mostly sailed on RCCL I found the atrium to be... underwhelming at only two stories high. But it is what it is.
  • The bar opening hours can tend a little to the late side. I don't know if this is a Jade thing, a European (which I am) thing, or a NCL thing - but even on sea days lots of bars didn't open until 5pm/7pm.
  • The Bliss Ultra Lounge was meant to be the night-club and it certainly looked the part with its metallic decor and bold colours - but the party was almost always to be found in Spinnakers.
  • Some of the more common cocktails (such as long island iced tea, or cosmopolitans) were kept in big jugs or dispensers. They seemed to separate a little, didn't taste as good or as strong. So keep an eye on where your cocktail is coming from.

All in all we had a wonderful time on the Jade, and I'd sail her again in a heartbeat.

I was on a TA on the Jade and here are the things that might affect your time.

First, I agree that the ship is secondary on a port intensive cruise. Ours was just the opposite and the Jade dropped the ball on sea days. The ship itself is very nice.

- We only went on one ship excursion and the process in the theatre was awful. We were supposed to be off at about 7:45 but had to wait SO LONG for the earlier groups to be called (ad nauseum.) Because of this delay, our Day on Your Own in Paris was shortened.

NCL obviously didn't have the passport control folks from England come aboard the ship the day before (like most ships do) and there was a huge backup of people trying to go through the passport control officer station in the dining room. The NCL ship excursions were allowed to go first People were pretty upset with this! People we met in England who were on a Celebrity Ship had the officers onboard the day before in the late morning/early afternoon on a sea day. That has always been our experience on other ships.

Would I go on NCL again? Yes, but not as my first, second or third choice and I have lowered my expectations.

I've sailed on the Jade twice now, in 2018 and 2017. Both after her refurbishment in 2017.

What I liked:

• The ship felt very modern thanks to its contemporary new decor, carpets and fabrics. She certainly doesn't feel 12 years old.
  • Moderno & Sugarcane Mojito Bar (the same venue) are wonderful. The salad bars went on forever (don't fill up before the meat) and the cocktails and cosy seating in Sugarcane were lovely.
  • Spinnaker Lounge was my favourite spot on the ship. Huge lounge bar right at the top and front of the ship. Amazing 270 degree sea views, comfy sofas and excellent bar service.
  • Lovely wide promenade deck - accessed via the main atrium. Order yourself a nice champagne cocktail, or a hot chocolate and then head out onto the Promenade deck for a stroll, or follow round it to the back of the ship and overlook the wake.
  • The cabins are all looking great, they were almost entirely re-done in the 2017 refurb. New contemporary decor & fabrics, new carpets, new beside lamps with USB charging sockets.
  • The Great Outdoors. Go into the garden cafe. Grab your food. Walk through the garden cafe. Keep walking. Keep walking. Then keep walking some more. You'll eventually end up outside with an amazing covered outdoor seating area. Great to eat lunch or breakfast with some fresh air and a view. There's even a nice bar here too.

What I didn't like (but could live with, because come on it's a cruise!):

• Having mostly sailed on RCCL I found the atrium to be... underwhelming at only two stories high. But it is what it is.
  • The bar opening hours can tend a little to the late side. I don't know if this is a Jade thing, a European (which I am) thing, or a NCL thing - but even on sea days lots of bars didn't open until 5pm/7pm.
  • The Bliss Ultra Lounge was meant to be the night-club and it certainly looked the part with its metallic decor and bold colours - but the party was almost always to be found in Spinnakers.
  • Some of the more common cocktails (such as long island iced tea, or cosmopolitans) were kept in big jugs or dispensers. They seemed to separate a little, didn't taste as good or as strong. So keep an eye on where your cocktail is coming from.

All in all we had a wonderful time on the Jade, and I'd sail her again in a heartbeat.

Thanks for your review! Since the bars seem to open later in the afternoon would you feel the drinking package would be wasted since you can’t get drinks easily earlier in the day? Thanks for the tip of where to eat outside that’ll be really helpful

I was on a TA on the Jade and here are the things that might affect your time.

First, I agree that the ship is secondary on a port intensive cruise. Ours was just the opposite and the Jade dropped the ball on sea days. The ship itself is very nice.

- We only went on one ship excursion and the process in the theatre was awful. We were supposed to be off at about 7:45 but had to wait SO LONG for the earlier groups to be called (ad nauseum.) Because of this delay, our Day on Your Own in Paris was shortened.

NCL obviously didn't have the passport control folks from England come aboard the ship the day before (like most ships do) and there was a huge backup of people trying to go through the passport control officer station in the dining room. The NCL ship excursions were allowed to go first People were pretty upset with this! People we met in England who were on a Celebrity Ship had the officers onboard the day before in the late morning/early afternoon on a sea day. That has always been our experience on other ships.

Would I go on NCL again? Yes, but not as my first, second or third choice and I have lowered my expectations.

I’ve never been on a cruise where you had to do something with your passport, what exactly is this? Would I encounter this on the sailing with Italy and Greece?

We currently have a Disney British Isles cruise booked for our Honeymoon, but I was thinking of switching it to this sailing because my Fiancé can’t normally take off two weeks so it seems like a waste doing a week long cruise when we have an opportunity to do a longer one. We would be doing a cruise excursion for almost every port

Thanks for your review! Since the bars seem to open later in the afternoon would you feel the drinking package would be wasted since you can’t get drinks easily earlier in the day? Thanks for the tip of where to eat outside that’ll be really helpful

Do you get the UBP as part of your premium all inclusive fare? We did on Jade. Or is it extra?

The Atrium Bar, Pool Bar, Garden Cafe Bar, Great Outdoors Bar and O’ Sheehan’s Bar are all open from about 8am - so there’s no shortage of places to drink.

We always do a drink package - just so we don’t have to count the pennies whilst cruising. At $15 a cocktail it would add up quickly!

Do you get the UBP as part of your premium all inclusive fare? We did on Jade. Or is it extra?

The Atrium Bar, Pool Bar, Garden Cafe Bar, Great Outdoors Bar and O’ Sheehan’s Bar are all open from about 8am - so there’s no shortage of places to drink.

We always do a drink package - just so we don’t have to count the pennies whilst cruising. At $15 a cocktail it would add up quickly!

It is one of the options you can choose when booking the cruise. I was looking at that or the excursions credit, but it seems like the drinking package is the better deal

I’ve never been on a cruise where you had to do something with your passport, what exactly is this? Would I encounter this on the sailing with Italy and Greece?

We currently have a Disney British Isles cruise booked for our Honeymoon, but I was thinking of switching it to this sailing because my Fiancé can’t normally take off two weeks so it seems like a waste doing a week long cruise when we have an opportunity to do a longer one. We would be doing a cruise excursion for almost every port

There is occasionally a requirement for passport examinations, or you passports being retained. However, I’m almost certain that none of your ports will require it. Usually in the Eastern Med this only applies if you visit somewhere like Turkey or Israel.

The person you were quoting was on a transatlantic, so there would have been full immigration checks. Not relevant to you at all.

Regarding excursions, I haven’t done many NCL ones, but have never had any trouble with them before. I’ve also not read many negative comments such as those above, so my suspicion is that this was a specific problem.

It is one of the options you can choose when booking the cruise. I was looking at that or the excursions credit, but it seems like the drinking package is the better deal

As long as you average more than about 3-4 drinks a day then the beverage package is worth it. I have never had any trouble finding an open bar.

There is occasionally a requirement for passport examinations, or you passports being retained. However, I’m almost certain that none of your ports will require it. Usually in the Eastern Med this only applies if you visit somewhere like Turkey or Israel.

The person you were quoting was on a transatlantic, so there would have been full immigration checks. Not relevant to you at all.

Regarding excursions, I haven’t done many NCL ones, but have never had any trouble with them before. I’ve also not read many negative comments such as those above, so my suspicion is that this was a specific problem.

Thanks that’s good to hear!

As long as you average more than about 3-4 drinks a day then the beverage package is worth it. I have never had any trouble finding an open bar.

That’s probably easy to drink and I typically am drinking martinis which are on the more expensive side so it would be good not to have a huge bill at the end. I know you pay the gratuities on the package, is that something you pay ahead when you book or they charge at the end of the cruise?

Also had another question. If we do the dining package as one of the perks and pick a restaurant that is a la carte how does that work? Can we get whatever we want there or do you get one item free and pay for anything additional?

That’s probably easy to drink and I typically am drinking martinis which are on the more expensive side so it would be good not to have a huge bill at the end. I know you pay the gratuities on the package, is that something you pay ahead when you book or they charge at the end of the cruise?

The gratuities are added to your final payment for the cruise, so you will pay them about 120 day out.

Also had another question. If we do the dining package as one of the perks and pick a restaurant that is a la carte how does that work? Can we get whatever we want there or do you get one item free and pay for anything additional?

You are restricted to one entree. Apps, sides and desserts are unlimited (although some servers apparently try to suggest that there is a limit).